GO!

Chewing

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 8:40am PST 
My husband and I have an eight-month old male ACD and we've so far have had furniture, rugs, etc. chewed on our destroyed. Just curious will he grow out of this stage?
[notify]
Penny

Who's down with- PWC? Yeah, you- know me!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 12:49pm PST 
From what I've read the best thing that you can do is wear him out with exercise. Cattle dogs require a lot of it!
[notify]
Dingo

All business no- play, I have a- job to do

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 2:16pm PST 
Agree with Penny. ACD's are working dogs they require exercise as well as stimulation and a lot of it. And if you don't offer it then they will find something to do themselves. Such as chewing. Get out and exercise your dog regularly, do lots of different training periods throughout the day, get your dog some puzzles. Generally smart dogs like the ACD learn very quickly and easily so sometimes you may train a behavior that you never realized nor wanted to. Don't fall into the trap of your ACD training you.
[notify]

Lucy

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 9:23pm PST 
We are fostering a 9 month old acd and this little gal loves to chew. So if we cannot watch her or we are not home she is in her kennel, which she does not mind. When out I have plenty of toys for her to chew away! I also make sure to take her on two walks a day! But wow even with the chewing they are adorbale.laugh out loud
[notify]