GO!

Hi everyone!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ruby

Ruby-affection- nut.

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 1:47pm PST 
I'm new to owning dogs since I have previously only owned cats. For Christmas my bfriend took me to the humane society where I met and picked out Ruby, an Australian Cattle Dog mix.
What I am wondering is this-She tends to get a strange odor about her even after a bath. Do cattle dogs have any scent glands? I thought maybe they did somewhere on her rear as she is always biting it there. Is there some kind of special shampoo I should use on her? I love her, but when she gets like that, it makes me sick being around her because of the smell. I definitely don't want that! Please help someone!!!
[notify]
Jersey

Daddys little- Princess

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 12:03pm PST 
Yes, my mother-in-laws blue heeler has the same problem. Everytime she goes to the vet, she gets her anal glands 'cleaned out' . Usually dogs anal glands empty when the defecate due to the pressure, but not all! The next time you go to the vet, have him/her check out the anal/scent glands and hopefully that will help!!!

Here's a website that might help:
http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm
[notify]
Ruby

Ruby-affection- nut.

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 3:41pm PST 
Thank you Jersey. When I said Ruby bites her rear, she does so up on top. Would there still be scent glands there? How often does your mother law take her dog to the vet to have this done?
[notify]

Jersey

Daddys little- Princess

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 11:29am PST 
Oh I see, I think I misunderstood. Is she biting at the base of the tail? (Where her back meets the beginning of the tail) She might just have some dry skin problems, I know Blue Heelers are prone to have skin problems. The glands that I was referring to are acutally inside the anus. My aussie had some skin issues in the fall, his skin was drying out and flaking off. I gave him baths frequently and used a shampoo with conditioner in it and it has seemed to calm down. He still loves a good rump scratch!!

There is also medical shampoo that could help you out, I'd still ask your vet about it. The heeler of my in-laws had a bacterial infection on her skin, and it stunk!

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '08 11:30am PST

[notify]
Ruby

Ruby-affection- nut.

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 2:47pm PST 
It's up a little bit higher than that. I'll try the shampoo with conditioner first. I know she sure is a sight to see. She'll come over to the couch and lift up the cushion with her butt while she tries to scratch it! Ha, ha!
[notify]
Ruby

Proud To Be An- NTB!- HARRRRRRRRRR!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 9:15pm PST 
wave Hi, my name is Ruby, too!
[notify]
Koby

Please don't- feed your dog- Beneful.

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '08 3:59pm PST 
Just curious, but what brand of food are you feeding her?
[notify]