GO!

Pit Bulls MUST be AKC registered to be American Staffordshires

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cobalt- Diesel Bleu

Catch me if you- can! ha ha!

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 2:56pm PST 
It seems like some posting here are desperately trying to make their pit bulls be amstaffs for some reason. Just love them as the pit bulls they are! How many times do I have to post here that if your dog is not AKC, then it isn't an amstaff? Your pit bull cannot just magically be an amstaff without you knowing about it, the american staffordshire is a show type dog full of akc champions. People aren't breeding amstaffs on every corner and selling them for $50 to whoever wants one. They are not a simple pet quality dog that you could just say you own if you don't. It's an insult to the breed, claiming your dog is from a strain of champions when it isn't.

In the creation of the american staffordshire terrier, the APBT breeders were asked if they wanted to change the name of their dog's breed. Some agreed, some didn't. Those who agreed removed their dogs from the fight ring and started to breed only for show purpose, with a target to maintain looks and temperament.

The vast majority of amstaff breeders today are breeding for show, this has maintained the perfect appearance and temperament as well as proper health. Joe Shmoe down the street isn't breeding amstaffs, he's breeding a pit bull he probably bought for $50 from a friend of his. Gangsters and drug dealers aren't owning amstaffs, this is keeping them the good dogs they are supposed to be as they are not overbred, they are not given away to anyone with cash, and little kids are not fighting them.

also, the majority of pit bulls bred today are a mix purposely bred to look like short and wide hippos. Pit Bull breeders today are ruining the APBT standard! I think amstaffs are the future for this breed, people think that removing the amstaff from the fighting ring has ruined it.

I believe it saved it. So if you are trying to make people (or yourself) think that your UKC, ADBA, or unpapered pit bull is actually an AKC american staffordshire.. please think again. Do your research on the american staffordshire history, because you are insulting the true owners and lovers of the american staffordshire breed.

If you went to Westminster or a breed specialty show and stood if front of a crowd of amstaff breeders claiming your pit bull is a amstaff with no akc papers, they would probably carry you out and throw you in the street and then laugh at you. Nothing wrong with a pit bull, it's just to compare the two is like comparing aged prime kobe beef to chuck ground round. Both are delicious, but one's on a different level.

Getting off my soup box now, just completely sick of people calling their pit bulls something they aren't.

Edited by author Mon Dec 8, '08 12:48pm PST

[notify]
ISIS

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 2:09pm PST 
This is old but I need to add to this... You need to be a little more clear with people... and explain the history better I do not have time to do it now. ALL APBT's have AKC AMSTAFFS in their lines. They are still related. AKC AMSTAFFS ARE REGISTERED WITH THE UKC & ADBA as APBT's.. SO NO THEY DON'T have to be registered with the AKC to be an AmStaftt. So not all your logic applies sorry.
I have an AKC AMSTAFF show champion. I Have two UKC APBT's with AKC AMSTAFF's in their lines.

SO some people can very well be correct by calling their APBT an AMSTAFF.

They can be both.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 7:48pm PST 
Wow! Way to make all APBTs sound like whacked out piece of crap gangbanger dogs that are ALL used for fighting, and are ALL "wide load" American Bullies..... shrug

I thought us "pit bull types" are supposed to be in this together. cry
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 11:05am PST 
This is one of the reasons I avoid the Am Staff forum, these elitist attitudes. Even the American Kennel Club states that the American Staffordshire Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier both started off with the same history, as working dogs; also not all APBT lines were all turned into fighting lines while all AST lines became show lines, there are fighting, show, and working lines for American Pit Bull Terriers even today.

Here is the quote from the American Kennel Club regarding the history of the American Staffordshire Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier:

"The American Staffordshire Terrier or "AmStaff" is considered an "all-American" dog. It has been developed since the early 1800's as a result of crosses between the bulldogs of that time and game terriers and was known in America as early as 1870 under the names Pit Dog, Pit Bull Terrier, American Bull Terrier, and Yankee Terrier. This type of dog was instrumental in the success of farmers and settlers, and was used for general farm work, hunting wild pigs, bears, and other large game, guarding the homestead, and general companionship. A number of the early ancestors were also used for the "sport" of dog fighting. This now illegal activity is, unfortunately, more often cited as the early purpose of the dogs rather than the general farm work. The breed was first registered with the American Kennel Club in 1936 as a member of the Terrier group. In 1972, the name "American Staffordshire Terrier" came into use because American breeders had developed a type that is heavier in weight than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England, and the addition of "American" to the AKC registration helped distinguish the two."
[notify]
♥- Messina- ♥

pit bull kisses- comin' your way!

Barked: Thu Oct 29, '09 2:57pm PST 
American Pit Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers are one in the same. There is no difference. The only difference is in the name. Pit bulls and Amstaffs can be duel registered as one or the other in the states. The only place that does not allow this is the UK, and the reason for that is because they associated the term 'pit bull' with dog fighting, historically speaking.

However, in terms of breed/genetics. APBTS and Am Staffs are one in the same. Please read the history before bashing a name, as you are basically bashing the same breed.

Although there are irresponsible pit bull owners and breeders, this goes for any other breed as well. The point is to encourage governments to strengthen animal cruelty laws in order to fish out abusers and backyard breeders.

APBT = Amstaff = APBT = Amstaff

[notify]
Denver

I loves my- little peoples

Barked: Tue Nov 24, '09 5:30pm PST 
"People aren't breeding amstaffs on every corner and selling them for $50 to whoever wants one." They are not a simple pet quality dog that you could just say you own if you don't. It's an insult to the breed, claiming your dog is from a strain of champions when it isn't."

"Those who agreed removed their dogs from the fight ring and started to breed only for show purpose"

" Gangsters and drug dealers aren't owning amstaffs"

"Getting off my soup box now, just completely sick of people calling their pit bulls something they aren't."

Do you think it is possible that people mistake there pitbulls for staffies? In pit bull owners defense they do like a like and not everyone is so dog knowledgable.
If there not a simple pet quality are you saying that you need to buy for show and breeding and not for a house pet. I have seen more then enough staffies in shelters to know that they are given up like other dogs too.
So pitbulls can be sold for cheap...There are such things as dogs accidently breed. How do you know gangsters aren't owning staffies. I mean come on do you really hang with enough gangsters to know what kind of dogs they have?
We did not change the dogs name because we decided we liked the orignal name. Why are you bashing pitbulls when american staffies are almost the same. Just because we aren't "show standard" as you might say does not mean pitbulls are cruddy dogs who are constantly give away to gangsters and pitbull fighters.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Dec 19, '09 3:42pm PST 
Messina hit the nail on the head, even the AKC states that they have the same roots and says the American Staffordshire Terrier is "also known as American Pit Bull Terrier" (posted above); they just changed the name and kept them primarily as show dogs because they didn't want to be associated with the word "pit" meaning bull and later dog fighting pits. I admire show breeders of both Am Staffs and APBTs that breed show dogs to get away from fighting lines but to say no gangsters or back yard breeders ever sell/breed American Staffordshire bloodlines is nonsensical; there are bad breeders of almost any breed of dog, even some rare breeds, sadly enough.
[notify]
Miller's- "Diamond- Princess"

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 12:38pm PST 
Messina u did hit the nail!! My dog Diamond is registered as An American Pitbull Terrier with UKC & ADBA. She is also registered as An Amstaff with AKC.
[notify]
Diablo Storm

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 1:57pm PST 
Actually they did not rename this breed to actually be show dogs. An amstaf is a pit bull no way around that. The breed use to be put in a "pit" with rats and that is how the fighting started. People started saying that these dogs were Amstafs to get away from the stigma of being known as a "pit" dog. The AKC then decided to reconize the Amstafs as a pit bull breed. If your pit bull is actually registered with the AKC instead of another regiester then more then likly it will be reg. amstaf instead of pit bull. But all in all same dog. Either way it doesnt matter. These dogs are the best dogs ever. I love my pitties and am proud to call them pitties even with the stigma its still a matter of blame the deed not the breed even back when they were first breed(bulldog and terrier) still the best dog anyone could ever ask for.
[notify]
Zero

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 7:47am PST 
I would like to shed some light to this the reason that they are trying to rename the dog as a show dog is because its the 2 dog breed together here is some info on the "American Bully" and are breed to be show dogs

The American Bully breed was established in the mid 1990 s with the purpose of creating the ultimate family companion. The American Bully was created through years of selective breeding by combining the desired traits of the UKC American Pit Bull Terrier and the AKC American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Bully's origin's can be seen both on the East and West Coast of the United States, primarily in Virgina, and Los Angeles, California. Today the American Bully can also be seen, in Europe and Asia.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2