GO!

Need advice on breeder "situation"

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:06pm PST 
I was given an APBT around 18 months ago with the promise that registration papers and breeding rights would be following. I was told that we would get a breeding to the breeder's stud (we did) and that the breeder would get first pick. Now, we have puppies on the ground, no sign of registration paperwork on the girl, breeder is telling me that - because there are nine puppies, the standard with breeders is first and third pick. This guy was/is a friend of my husband, but we're feeling kind of ootchy about this. Something doesn't feel right. A check of UKC breeders does not turn up the kennel name he claimed to use or his or his wife's name in their listing of breeders. Husband has gone as far as to venture that, at some point, this guy may try to take our girl from us, claiming she is his and we were just keeping her for him. He's handed us multiple versions of multiple stories. Would like input on what this forum thinks about this. I'm a shepherd and a beekeeper. I breed LGDs, but I've never encountered anything like this. I've always registered my litters as a rule and there were never situations like this. What am I missing here? Are we totally over-reacting? I'm not getting good communication from this guy and I'm feeling weirder about this as days pass.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:07pm PST 
I'm no breeder but that does sound fishy. To me seems like he wanted to take her breed her, do the dirty work then hand her back off with her and his new puppy. I don;t even know where to begin to tell you what you need to do. I'm sorry.
[notify]