GO!

So... does the term "Pit Bull" offend some of you pit owners?...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Otto- 2011-2013- sleep well- ange

Super cute,- super sweet,- super pit!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 9:24pm PST 
Something I have noticed about a LOT of people who have adopted 'pit bulls' [usually rescued or from the shelter] get quite offended when I say "Your Pit Bull is so pretty!" They say "It is a Staffordshire mix!" Usually when I hear them call their dog a staffy it is because they're offended & too wimpy to use the word "Pitbull" I know there are a LOT of breeds that go under the term "Pit Bull" But let's face it, its almost impossible to tell the difference between an American Staffy mix and a Pit mix...
And even if I call it a "Staffy" they'll get offended & say "She is a Staffordshire Mix!"... So got any ideas on a general term to call a dog that falls into the category of "Pitbull/ Pit Mix"?... That's all I call my Otto... he's my lil lunkhead-of-a-pit bull. So I really don't care what people call him... I just call him "Pit Bull, Pet bull, mutt, mongrel, mix, Lab cross".... about whatever, I'm not picky.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 12:56am PST 
It doesn't really offend me, although Keira is a purebred APBT. Most people just call her a Pit Bull, Pittie, or Pibble... and that's okay with me. What irritates me more is when the owners of Mixed breeds call their dogs "Pit Bulls" as I feel it's an unfair representation. (But that's just me confused )
[notify]
Bruno

Dinogator

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 2:47pm PST 
I personally am proud of saying that he is a Pit Bull. After all he issmile)
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 7:00pm PST 
Yeah... generally I say Otto's just a mix/pit mix... but I do know he is at least 1/2 Pit Bull.... not sure which of the variants, probably Am. Staffy + APBT. I still hate so much how if anybody sees a dog with a big blockhead, pure-muscle-build, they point their fingers & say "LOOK ITS A PIT BULL! KIDS GET IN THE CAR QUICK BEFORE IT GETS LOOSE!!!!!"

But I know there are enough pit bull lovers out there who are willing to defend this wonderful & adorable breed. smile
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 2:52pm PST 
I don't find it offensive. Daddy is all APBT, but it's easier and faster for most people to say "Pit Bull", and as long as it's not said in a derogatory fashion I could care less.
[notify]
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 10:48pm PST 
Definitely agree, Daddy! Thank you for the input

It still drives me nuts how ticked people get when I say "Your pit bull is so cute" and they say "Pit bull? Those are mean dogs.... I own a Staffordshire Terrier" [said all prim & snobby....ugh!] aren't they close enough....ish? I mean it's hard to tell the difference between an APBT and an Am Staff at first glance...
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:43am PST 
[Whoops! Accidentally had Shasta write that... meant for Otto to. Sorry bout that! red face ]
[notify]
Koda

Judge the Deed- not the Breed

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 12:37pm PST 
When people ask (most automatically can tell) I just say he's a Pit Buddy and smile.
[notify]
Bruce

I love to- snuggle!

Barked: Fri May 25, '12 10:31am PST 
I usually just say he's a pitbull or an Am. Staff. My dog hasn't shown signs of aggression or high prey drive yet though, hoping it stays that way.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 8:50pm PST 
Shasta, the AKC did a breed highlight of "All American Breeds" and their history. They said the American Staffordshire Terrier is "also known as the American Pit Bull Terrier", making no distinction between them as separate breeds. Of course there are aesthetically differences between a show bred American Staffordshire Terrier and a working American Pit Bull Terrier, but that's true with any show breed compared to their working bred counterpart. You can register a dog as an American Staffordshire Terrier with the AKC and also have them registered as an American Pit Bull Terrier elsewhere.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2