GO!

Ignorance

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 12:00am PST 
I guess this comes with the breed...but being that Angel is the first Pit I've had it's still new to me.

Was at Petsmart today, working on socializing Angel plus we both love going there. Walking down one of the aisles for collars & harnesses, we came upon a family. There were several kids, a mom, and dad. The kids were looking at Angel and the daughter asked me if she could pet Angel. I was about to tell her "yes" when the mom starts almost screaming at her kids to "get away from that dog because it's a dangerous dog and will bite you!" When the girl asked again if she could pet Angel the mom says "No you may not!" "But mom the dog isn't mean!" (then looks at me and says) "You're dog is very pretty!" as the mom ushers them away from my "mean, vicious" dog.

I was kind of dumbfounded...then thought that when she said my dog was mean and vicious I should have dropped the leash and taken off screaming lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered that and how you handled it. All I could do was hope that little girl holds her ground and doesn't buy into her moms ignorance.
[notify]
Mika

Angry Eybrows!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:06pm PST 
That kind of thing makes me mad.

My boyfriend owns a Pittie. Gypsie is the SWEETTEESTT dog I've ever met. She knows all kinds of trick and knows drop it, leave it, come, stay really well. She is super smart.

We brought her (tried to anyways) to a couple dog parks and all Gypsie was trying to do was play with these peoples dogs HONESTLY PLAYING....and they got their dog in a rush, gave us a dirty look, and left. A couple even told US to get out, that our "vicious" dog has no business being there. She has all her shots, neutered, and we had her registered to that dog park...really?
Needless to say we ended up finding a park we could take her to where the regulars there are super friendly, and helps us out whenever someone new comes around and attempts to say something about her.

I have this argument with my cousin NUMEROUS times a year...the whole "Pit bulls are born mean, they have it in their genes, and you can look at a pit bull and tell if its mean." It makes me LIVID. i have such a passion for ALL animals that walk this Earth, and the way these beautiful dogs are treated saddens me. I lash out a little more than i should. I know its better to keep calm, but sometimes the pure IGNORANCE of people...they have it coming.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 1:21am PST 
The sad truth is, ignorance never dies. To own this breed successfully, you have to develop a thick skin. Learn to either brush off the misguided, or be prepared to educate them. And by educate, I mean tell them the TRUTH. Never fly off the handle in anger, that fuels their fire.
[notify]

Koda

Judge the Deed- not the Breed

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 12:43pm PST 
With APBT's I think we all need to be responsible and at least leash our dogs at dog parks. I'm not saying these dogs are vicious (i'm on my 2nd one and never had any bite issues with humans) but they can be dog aggressive.. even when they don't seem to be at all one dog may rub them wrong. I think its a responsibility as owners of these dogs to not allow the possibility to rise and give more cause for media and the BSL to come crashing down.. (cause we all know they will wrong or right)
[notify]
Molly

She's a Brick- House!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 1:54pm PST 
Hi all! New here and new to pittie ownership. I took my little sweetheart Molly to the dog park. She's never been aggressive with other dogs she just wants to play, play, play. I want to be responsible and make sure Molly gets socialized (she's only 9 mths old) but we don't have many friends with dogs so I thought the dog park would probably be the best way to go.

That's where we met our first bigot. Yes I'm calling them bigots, these people are dog racist. We entered the dog park and I took Molly off her leash and a man came running up yelling "get your pit bull away from my dog. They aren't social animals".

A) they were hardly close to each other, and sniffing. B) Last I checked they aren't two different species and C) all dogs are pack animals. So everything about that statement was just wrong.

I redirected Molly to play with some other dogs and the man left. I suppose it's wrong of me to hope that my presence causes him to leave the dog park for good.

I wasn't really prepared for this man's anger.

I think the bottom line is that you can't help close minded people. All you can do is show open minded people what a fabulous dog you have.
[notify]
Jaws

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 12:10am PST 
I took my pup to an annual party that my family attends every year. They are my parents friends, mind you they are all like 50 and I am 20. But while I was socializing him I had a lady ask if he had ever bit anyone. Jaws is only 3 months old. This shocked and confused me. She seriously asked if my PUPPY had ever bit anyone. It's amazing what people actually say or think. I had others ask if I had a muzzle on him so he couldn't bite. I use a head collar on him, called a gentle leader. This is to stop his pulling and it gives me more control of what his mouth tries to suck up. He responds to it well and I dont have to tug at all. But I frankly told the people that it was not a muzzle and he could bite, eat, drink, and pant.

Its really is sad to have people ask if he has bit anyone at only 3 months. It's going to be interesting when he gets really big. I wouldn't be surprised if people run and scream from him. I encounter your situation somewhat already. Kids come up to pet him and parents look at him all iffy, with the stink eye. But what can we do? Not all people have an open mind.

Edited by author Sat Jun 30, '12 12:14am PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 12:18am PST 
Mika I have that same argument with my cousin (maybe we are related, lol)

Koda, Angel was leashed and is always leashed in public.

Molly, I don't blame you for hoping that guy left the dog park. Such a shame! I am glad you didn't leave and allowed your dog to continue playing! Welcome to the Pittie club!
[notify]
Gargamel

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 7:26pm PST 
You should really be careful and avoid all dog parks for multiple reasons. Any dog that society and the media would label a pit bull type dog, should for the sake of EVERY pit bull type dog not allowed off leash play with any dog or owner that you do not know and trust. If the dog came at your dog and your pup needed to defend themselves, YOUR dog would be blamed and could possibly be killed if deemed vicious. I understand you want to socialize your dog, but that doesn't have to do with other animals. People Places, things are all GREAT ways to have a wonderfully socialized dog. You could go to a basketball or tennis court or a baseball field that is fenced in and allow your dog off leash fun. There is a reason so many people are scared of these dogs and its our jobs as owners to keep them safe and sound.

I agree it was pure ignorance what that guy did but please stop off leash free play with strange dogs, its not worth your dogs life if he acts like, well a dog. At this time, Pit Bull type dogs are not afforded the same rights as tons of other breeds and until there is no more BSL and only dangerous dogs laws, Owners need to be responsible and not set their dogs up for possible failure. ALL pit bull type dogs depend on ALL pit bull type dog owners to be responsible and prove we are not what society thinks we are.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 12:55pm PST 
I don't agree Gargamel that we should avoid ALL dog parks. I also disagree with the notion of not allowing our dogs to interact with other dogs. ANY dog can be rubbed the wrong way, just like humans. It's our responsibility to keep a watchful eye on the dog because you are right, Pits aren't allowed the same "benefit of a doubt" that other breeds are.
[notify]
Gamma

Waitin' at the- Rainbow Bridge

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 5:55pm PST 
my 6 month old Gamma goes to the dog park all the time and lives with 3 other dogs (small, med. and X-large) so i know that he knows how to behave with other dogs, i dont think its fair that the majority is punished because of a few. ive known tons of sweet and nice pits. but ive also met a few nasty ones. ones that actually attacked my pit at the dog park and MY dogs where blamed. like it was MY fault that other dogs attacked my sweet Gamma. the rest of the dog park people came to my rescue because we go most everyday and this strange woman comes up with her nasty dogs and starts yelling at me because my labs and friends shepherds came to my Gammas rescue and pinned her pits down. now i love pits and pit mixes but you should know when you havea dog-aggressive one on your hands and act responsibly and not take your dog to a dog park and blame everyone but your own dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2