GO!

Today at the dog park

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bosco

RAWR

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 12:52pm PST 
A man with a husky comes in and literally almost falls at the sight of a pitbull he yelled at his dog every time it wanted to get near the pitbull and he won't on and told everyone that they shouldnt allow these dogs in a dog park and that they should watch out they'll rip your dogs apart when their not looking. meanwhile the pitbull gallantly strolled around ignoring all other dogs the whole time it was their sometimes casually going up to other dogs and waging its tail before continuing his sniffing trek. Then he see's my puppy and says its people like you that make me sick and then he took off. I was so incredibly pissed off, i was just sitting there on a bench with my pup chilling in the shade and some elderly man goes and tells me off. I was like wtf does he not now that huskies are also in the top 10 breeds likely to bite.. ugh the nerve generalizing me because im young, hispanic, own a half pitbull type dog. little does the man know i rescued my pup when he was 6 weeks old and now he's 3 months old, happy as can be, he's a little celebrity around the dog park. people should really educate themselves
[notify]
Peanut

Will work for- food

Barked: Sat Apr 2, '11 10:03pm PST 
I never go to dog parks. Why? Lots of reasons but the main ones are:

1. Everyone I know who brings their dogs to dog parks had had them come home sick at some point.

2. I don't know these other dogs or their training or temperament.

3. She's a pit bull. If something happens, they always blame the pit bull.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 7:13pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear you ran into such an idiot. Unfortunately, you're bound to run into idiots and downright horrible dog owners at public dog parks. I avoid them because you never know if people are going to bring dog aggressive, in heat, or sick animals; even if the rules state otherwise, if there's no one monitoring dogs coming in, it's going to happen.

Do you know any other responsible dog owners who would be willing to do private "play dates"? It's much easier to manage a few familair dogs, and you wouldn't have to worry about someone letting a sick or aggressive dog join in.

Edited by author Sun Apr 17, '11 7:13pm PST

[notify]

In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Wed Apr 20, '11 7:10pm PST 
As much as I wish I didn't have to, I agree with Peanut about point three. When something bad happens at the dog park, the pit bull always gets the blame.

Still, having a pit bull mix, be prepared to hear a lot more of those generalizations. I've been known to be peacefully walking Lilo around town, neither of us bothering a soul. Lilo will walk happily at my side, and I'll have her on her short leash COMPLETELY in control. And yet people still tell me "Restrain that dog!" or "Don't let that dog off leash!" or ask me (from a LONG distance, mind you) "That dog won't bite me, will it?" It gets tiresome sometimes, but it comes with the breed. frown
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 1:54pm PST 
Too true. It doesn't matter if the "Pit Bull" isn't even involved with a fight, someone will try to pin it on that dog because of the bad image ignorant people, irresponsible owners, back yard breeders, and idiots in general have given "Pit Bulls".
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 4:04pm PST 
I agree pit bulls shouldn't be in dog parks!!
[notify]