GO!

When someone asks what kind of dog you have

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Lilly

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 9:19am PST 
I have had 3 other pitbulls in the past, and thats what I always called them, I did have people in my life tell me my mother was a bad mom for letting us have them, or people who wouldnt give my big love ball dizzle even the chance to great them, but regardless I always said pitbull... now..... however I just got my new little baby lilly, at first I told my neighbor she was a bull terrier... whatever that is.. they didnt question, the reason being is her 2 little kids were standing right there, and recently moving to utah, I have found that the rap they get here is even worse(people poisoning pitbulls is not very uncommon)... so I was worried. Then my other neighbor came accross the street and talked to us, again i said bull terrier.... then somehow the other pitbulls in the neighborhood came up and he said "i would never take a chance with those pitbulls" while he was playing with little adorable Lilly, so right in front of them both I said "she is a pitbull." they looked fairly dumbfounded, but had to back her up. I just don't want my baby to have to catch the same undeserved bad vibes that people have given my pits in the past.
[notify]
Molly

Yes I do have to- wag with my- whole body

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 1:15am PST 
Just a funny story. When someone asks what Molly is I blatantly say pit bull. That is what she is there is no changing it just like there is no changing that I am a human. One day I was at our local pet store buying food and treats and the weekly toy and a 5 year old was playing with Molly. She was her goofy friendly self and I saw no reason to stop the petting as the child and dog were obviously enjoying it. The child's grandmother came to me and mentioned she would like to find a dog for her grandson and my dog seemed to be the perfect breed. I said that she is a hard breed to train because she is bull headed but with love and attention she is a wonderful companion. Then came the question well what breed is she she seems so wonderful around children. I simply stated pit bull... that was the end of the conversation and end of play. I don't think I've seen a grandmother snatch a child up so quick and stomp away. Ok so I had to laugh. It was a good half hour that the kid and molly were goofing off.
[notify]
Peggy Sue

dont get too- close... I'll- lick ya

Barked: Wed Jul 20, '11 7:16pm PST 
I look people straight in the eye and proudly say "Yes I have 2 pitts, and Im proud of both of my girls."
[notify]

Levi King- CGC

Punish the DEED- not the BREED!

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:09pm PST 
I am so proud of my pit and pit mixes, I proudly look at them and say "loved" very loved pit mixes! puppy
[notify]
Miss- Attitude- "ATTIE"

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 7:01pm PST 
Since we've had Pit Bulls for almost 29 years believe me we've heard it all. In the beginning before anyone knew what an American Bulldog was I'd say "an American Bull dog" I've had people look at me as if I were holding a gun pointed at them. I have found thru the years that most people who are afraid of them most usually only know what they've seen or heard on TV. We try to show people how great they really are. And we have changed a few minds. It's really sad that people don't seem to be able to think for themselves. They automatically believe everything they read or see on TV.
[notify]
Caden- Mitchell- Johnstone

King of the Bed

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 9:14am PST 
I proudly say an American Pitbull Terrier. If people are that ignorant that they would cringe or step away from you because of your breed of choice, then they know nothing of this breed and are not worthy of my pet's affection. I understand some are unaware and just follow main stream media, but it is just common sense to do your research. We all research something that we find being suspicious of....don't we? Well I do anyways. It's a shame the way this world works.
[notify]
Chassie

Warning - Pit bull may- lick you to- death

Barked: Thu Oct 6, '11 7:13am PST 
I simply say she is a pit bull. I think most people don't know what a pit bull is anyway, and if I tell the truth about what she is then I can help create positive associations for the breed. Why hide it if you dog is a well behaved friendly dog? So far where I live I have had nothing but positive responses, most people here know that they are good dogs if they have good owners.

Edited by author Thu Oct 6, '11 7:15am PST

[notify]
Handsome- Goes- Vertical- CGC, RN

Punish the deed,- not the breed!

Barked: Sun Oct 23, '11 1:36pm PST 
I used to call Sam a pit/lab mix. Now I call him a pit mix because I got too many, "Oh, THAT'S why he's so sweet. He got the lab personality." He did not, by the way. I want people to see a pit bull when they see the sweet clown with a grin and tail wag for everyone.

I've gotten the whole gambit of responses. I've had a father set his daughter down by Sam for a pet and say "Well, he MUST be a good dog then." I've had a lady with a beagle mix (who had been playing peacefully with Sam for 5 minutes) jerk her dog back so fast she almost destroyed a display in a pet store. Worst of all I've had people say "You should just tell people he's a boxer mix. He's too sweet to be a pit bull."

So for better or worse I call him a pit now. If I'm feeling up to it I will launch into a discussion about breed bans and the true nature of the pit bull. If not, I can always walk away.
[notify]
Dougie

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 9:56am PST 
I always tell people he is a Pit Bull. I don't care I love my dog. He is only 6 months now and people love all over him, then ask what breed he is. When I tell them they usually give me some remark about their bad reputation and I just respond with it's all in how you raise them. We have another Pit Bull who is 3 years old and he was well known around my college campus. We always took him with us to hang out at our friends house and when we didn't everybody made us go home and get him, they love him. It makes me sad when people give remarks about them being bad dogs. I wouldn't trade either one of my dogs for anything!
[notify]
Dougie

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 9:58am PST 
I always tell people he is a Pit Bull. I don't care I love my dog. He is only 6 months now and people love all over him, then ask what breed he is. When I tell them they usually give me some remark about their bad reputation and I just respond with it's all in how you raise them. We have another Pit Bull who is 3 years old and he was well known around my college campus. We always took him with us to hang out at our friends house and when we didn't everybody made us go home and get him, they love him. It makes me sad when people give remarks about them being bad dogs. I wouldn't trade either one of my dogs for anything!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8