GO!

questions about pits

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bingo

Bingo was his- name-o

Barked: Thu Jul 9, '09 9:23pm PST 
hi everyone-
i know that ignorance of pit bulls is very annoying for owners of them. thats why i have some questions i'd like to be answered. so bear with me smile
i've been thinking about getting a dog and researching different breeds and have really become interested in pitbulls. i'm so confused about the proper names though!
so 1. are american pit bull terriers and staffordshire terriers the same thing? this may be a dumb uuestion..but i just CANNOT figure it out!
2. as i read in another post, someone was venting about the whole "red-nose" coloring thing. so that's just a color right, not a type of pitbull? i have also seen "razor edge" and seen that blue pitbulls are very popular. i even looked into a breeder and they have blue one that is more expensive than the others. is the only difference the color?
3. also - are there differences in tempermant and male/female pits?
thank you in advance, i know it annoys everyone how many myths are associated with pit bulls, which is why i want to know everything i can about this breed before i decide on one.
thanks smileblue dog
[notify]
Chloe

Puppy Power

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 11:06am PST 
1. They are similar in appearance but they are different breeds.

2. To alot of us here, color doesn't mean anything. Red nose was a strand from Europe that was imported to USA but doesn't change anything as far as how good your dog is or what it's worth (moneywise). Blue noses are popular and Razor's Edge is a popular breeder. Since the USA is over populated, you could look into adopting from a shelter but if you really want a certified "full breed," you can get one from Razor's Edge if you want.
3. For temperament, Pits are very good. I have a 7 month female "bully" (a bully is a larger type pit bull and yes, Razor's Edge has them). She's very good with children, other people and other dogs. Looks like you have a beagle? We have a beagle at our house too and they get along great. I do recommend plenty of exercise, chew toys, and proper discipline for a Pit. This is because of the "bad rap" they get even though they don't deserve it. Check to see if there's any breed restrictions where you live before you get one. Make sure you train your future Pit very well otherwise you might get a backlash from people you live by. If you have any other questions, please ask. Also, no question is a dumb question!
[notify]
Chloe

Puppy Power

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 11:11am PST 
Oh PS. I would really recommend you get your future Pit a colar with a name tag and contact info on it and keep it on him/her at all times in case anything happens. Also might be good to get your dog microchipped. Pits were known for being fighters in the old days and there's still people out there that take advantage of the pit's "willingness to please it's master" and still do these horrible things and will steal dogs just to train them in the Pit. So please keep this in mind too.
[notify]

Ginger

I'm Pit Bull,- make my day!

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 11:41am PST 
We have five Pit Bull/mix rescues. A Pit Bull is a family dog. He or she must live with you, not outside. Spaying and neutering is essential. Ninety-five percent of Pit Bulls who bite are un-neutered males.

These dogs are very loving. They are velcro dogs. They will do whatever you do. If you are sleeping on the couch, they will be lying on or by you. If you are running, they will be running next to you. They love to play and need exercise every day, but not inordinately.

Pit Bulls should never be put on a chain. Treat them like a member of your family, and you will have a great dog. Do basic obedient training, too.

Nine out of ten Pit Bulls who are in the pound are put to death. The best place to find a great Pit Bull is to visit your local shelter. Pet Finder has lots available, too. Many are puppies. Make sure a temperament test is done if the dog is young or an adult. Only an expert should adopt a Pit Bull who has been mistreated. Please consider rescuing because a life will be saved.

All colors are beautiful. Find one that lights up when you see him or her. You will light up, too, and so will your life.

Edited by author Mon Jul 13, '09 1:08pm PST

[notify]
Eve

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 12:56pm PST 
Dearest Bingo,
Being a Pitbull owner for the past 17 year's, I would recomend you do further research before owning one as a companion. What they require to keep a healthy life, food/diet ect. Being a proud pitbull owner isn't just feeding and petting your companion, Owning an APBT ( American Pitbull Terrier ) is alot of hard work and dedication to the breed.

First off, Pitbull's come in many many breed's, shape's and size's- Temprement's like's and dislike's. It's also upto your financial status. IF you have money to spend on food and can maintain a large pitbull I would sudjest Razor's edge OR the Bully bloodline, as they are big boned and large headed. Less into spending on food is the more delicate Colby OR Eli bloodline as they are more compact and hence require less food then their larger counterpart.
Here is a list of bloodline's you may want to check as they are some of my favorite be experience as a Pitbull owner and breeder.
Old Family Rednose- Colby- Eli- Razors Edge- Gotti- Bully- Mayday- Snooty- Red Devil- Chinaman- Jeep- Patricks (Bolio/Tombstone).
These are a few of MANY bloodline's, but are those of Whom I have bred and have cared for. BUT nothing beat's the Old Family Rednose .
[notify]
Eve

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 1:06pm PST 
You can read more about the history of some of the fighting bloodlines at: http://www.classicpitbulls.com/greatdogs.htm
Eli -Razor Edge -Boudreaux -Carver -Rascal -Colby-Jeep- Chinaman- Frisco (Chinaman) -T-N-T -Red Boy -Mayday -Corvino -Old Family-(Bolio/Tombstone) -Alligator-Peterson -Boyles -Sorrells -Banjo-McCoy -Sarona-Ironline (Norrod) -Clemmons -Snooty-Cowboy -Red Devil -Maximillion -Skull-Goodfella- Greyline-Camelot
This is not an exclusive list of the bloodlines. To my knowledge there is no detailed list of the bloodlines as it entails giving credence to the "blood sport" that created most of the bloodlines in the first place. The more famous the bloodline, the higher the cost to acquire an offspring.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 2:47pm PST 
I'm going to answer these questions to the best of my ability... so... here goes..

1. This is not a dumb question and is actually a very good one. I'm assuming you mean the American staffordshire terrier, right? At one point, they were the same breed. Many moons ago, people were trying to get the AKC to recognize the American pit bull terrier. However, the AKC refused to for many reasons. I believe that one was because they did not want to be associated with the dog fighting world. Then, the pit bull reached its popularity sometime after Pete the pup and the AKC finally broke down and registered the pit bull but under a different name: American staffodshire terrier (back then, I'm not sure if it had the American in it, though). Over the years, the two breeds were bred so differently; one was bred for show (the am staff) the other for sporting (like bull baiting, dog fighting, boar hunting, etc) (the APBT) The ones bred for show were bred solely for looks. These dogs were bred a little bigger than the dogs that were bred for sporting activities. The latter was bred smaller. However, to this day, there is interbreeding between the two and even dual registries. So, it's VERY debatable whether the breeds are one in the same or not. I believe they are. However, many other people would disagree. And, they're entitled to their opinion as I'm entitled to mine. If you mean the Staffordshire bull terrier, however, no, they are not one in the same and never have been. Though, they do share similar relations and looks.
2. Ah-ha, I presume that was my post? wink Yes, red nose is just a nose color. There IS a bloodline- Old Family Red Nose or something like that- but it should not be confused with red nose as the nose color. It's not a type of pit bull, though. Razor edge is a "bloodline". Those "bloodlines" are also debatable and you will find many interesting debates about them browsing the APBT forum right here on Dogster. While blue pit bulls are very popular, I would not trust a breeder who charges more for any color in pit bulls. Since the APBT can be almost any color, no color is rare. Therefore, no colored dog should be more expensive than another. Actually, I don't trust ANY breeder that prices on color. No matter how rare the color is. Puppies should be priced on show quality or pet quality, not color.
3. I'm not quite sure how to answer this one... so I'll leave it to someone else.

If you do decide to get a pit bull, I should warn you: be prepared physically and emotionally. APBT's are FULL of energy. They WILL keep you busy. I walk Lilo five, six times a day- thirty to forty minutes each- and she STILL has energy at night. And people will judge not only your dog- but YOU for choosing the breed. This can (I cannot tell a lie) cause emotional damage to you and the dog.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 4:23pm PST 
1. The American Pit Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire Terrier have pretty much the same original history, but once the AKC started recognizing them as American Staffordshire Terriers, they became a seperate breed, Am Staffs were more show dogs while APBTs tended to be used more for working.

2. Red nose, blue nose, they're just nose colors. "Blue" colored bull breeds (and some other breeds as well such as Miniature Pinschers) are more prone to skin and coat problems (including allergies) than other colors. They are only more expensive when being sold by back yard breeders, a good breeder will never charge more for a dog based on coat or nose color, but rather on show/working prospect vs. "pet quality".

3. It depends on the dog, Daddy is a male American Pit Bull Terrier and he isn't the stereotypical male dog, he's highly affectionate, whereas my mother's dog, Peg, an altered female Pit Bull/Pharoah Hound mix is a lot more aloof and independent, she is affectionate but not nearly as much so or as outgoing as Daddy is. All of the APBTs at Daddy's old home (one altered female, one intact female, two intact males) were very friendly, but the boys were a lot more hyper in their greetings, all were adult, dog, and child (they lived with two adults, the other dogs, and a toddler and a grade-school aged boy) friendly and never had aggression problems with people or other dogs. Most of the Pit Bulls I've met, male or female, intact or altered have been very friendly.

As others have stated, this breed has energy to spare. Some are prone to some level of prey drive, and "gamebred" dogs or dogs from fighting lines may be a lot more prone to stronger prey drives than APBTs that aren't from fighting lines.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Jul 11, '09 6:12am PST 
1. 70+ years of breeding for Show vs for Go. Keep in mind that the AKC did reopen the stud book in the 70's for a short period to UKC "Purple Ribbon" dogs to give the lines a boost. The UKC APBT standard is basically word for word the same as the AKC Am Staff standard. The ADBA standard calls for the dogs to be smaller and more athletic.

2. You can still get OFRN (Old Family Red Nose) bloodlines, if you do your homework. Chloe is incorrect in assuming that cost isn't affected by pedigree. Color shouldn't affect cost. Some of the blue line dogs are not all APBT and have Neo in the woodpile; there are also certain lines of red dogs that have Dogue. Knowing your bloodlines and going with a kennel that has a solid reputation, breeds to standard (depending on which registry they use), DNA profiles all their stock, AND competes successfully in their chosen area will go a long way in ensuring you don't buy one of the crosses. I tend to avoid the UKC/ADBA dual registered dogs; and breeder that does this should be either breeding for one standard or the other - there is no in-between. I openly admit, I won't have a Razor's Edge, Gotti, newer version of McCoy, or Colby dog on my yard. The ones I've been around haven't displayed what I consider to be a correct temperament and in no way could ever be competitive in the show ring and would only be competitive in all-breed type weight pull competitions; they certainly wouldn't be competitive in either ADBA or AADR pulls.

3. Almost 25 years experience has shown that the females tend to be prone to being a bit more protective of any children in the home, though not in a bad way. Dogs with poor temperaments are the exception and not the norm, though numbers have increased (almost disproportionately) due to poor breeding practices and the cross-breeding in an attempt to produce something more "gangsta".

A lot of APBTs have "strong" personalities and require the same of their owner. Exercise and training has already been covered.
[notify]
Opie CGC

Luv-A-Pittie

Barked: Sat Jul 11, '09 7:30am PST 
Lilo's answer is very good but I'm going to add my two cents. I would stay away from Gotti line. The mixing done to get the look reduces the odds of getting the great pit personality we all love and every bad byb seems to like to advertise Gotti line pits. I'd avoid any of the Bully types - You'll deal with a lot of additional health problems - Most are just mastiff mixes with hung papers, if you want a mastiff mix go to the shelter and save yourself a few hundred bucks and save a life. Go to a few ADBA or UKC events, see what a true pits are like and talk to owners about the good and the bad. Then go to a shelter, most have a healthy selection of really good looking pits dropped off by owners who didn't do their research first.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2