GO!

Tips for keeping a Pit Bull Mix Busy During the day?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abby

Can I get away- with this?!?!

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 9:01pm PST 
I need ideas for things that my pit bull puppy can do during the day while I work from home. Here's her schedule now. She needs more play time, but gets bored easily and then I can't get any work done. I need some good toys that will keep her busy. She gets bored of the Kong after 30 minutes.

6:oo am Wake and potty (back to sleep for a bit)
7:30 am Potty and breakfast
8:00 potty then 30 minute walk then play time/traininig time
9:00 - 12:00 Crate so I can work
12 - 1:30 Lunch and play time
1:30 - 4:30 Crate so I can work
4:30 - Potty and play
5:oo Dinner / Potty and play
8:00 30 minute walk - play and train at home
10:00 Crate for night
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 6:56am PST 
you might try some other interactive toys, like a tug-a-jug or a treat ball. or a bully stick, they last a decent amount of time.

you might also try some stuffies. dixie and zeppelin both *love* to disembowel their stuffie toys.

it's kind of hard to keep a dog entertained in a crate. i'm surprised she doesn't just go to sleep.

does she like to play fetch? you could take her out for 10-15 minute sessions of fetch, which should wear her out for the next 30-45 minutes.
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 7:01am PST 
I have tried fetch. She gets overly wound up and ends up getting my hand when I'm trying to throw it for her. Like this morning. I have some nice teeth marks on my palm. I know she's a puppy, but ouch!

I tried a buster cube with her. The noise scared her. She ran from it. Have to try the tug-a-jug.
[notify]

Abby

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 7:03am PST 
She does go to sleep in the crate. I meant some activities to keep her busy in the house so I don't have to crate her as long. I can keep an eye on her in the living room while I work, I just need her to be busy and not climbing the walls. smile
[notify]
Cooper

Cooper Doogin

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 8:39am PST 
one thing you could try, and I've seen it on trees, is a toy on a rope. Often bullies love to go after toys/whatever and will hang and swing...

the other thing you can try, albiet it's more on the expensive side.. they actually have treadmills for dogs (or I'm sure if you have a regular treadmill you could set it up) and it'd be like walking them alot! blue dog

beyond that, I'm not too sure, especially with a younger pup. My boy is 3 and will sit mellow for most of the day or go out and lay in the sun in the back yard. Above all with any bullie, patience is a virtue...
[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 1:34pm PST 
I used to have the same problem with my pit...she just turned a year old and is so hard to keep occupiedblue dog Some toys that I have found that worked.... Water~Bone, Tennies balls keep her really occupied or any type of ball like a softball or base ball, Rawhides are handy, Plastic bones, Squeky toys, Rope toys, Treat Balls, the kong, Or even like squeky balls..If you don't like the idea of having her in a crate for a long period of time...You could try getting a doggies gates...U could block off parts of the house you don't want her to be in while ur gone...make ur house puppy proof while you are gone during the day..Also I too have the same problem with my dog when we play fetch...so I got this think called Chuckit ball launcher...It is like this tool u use to pick up theball and throw..it helps for avoiding accidents....U could use a treadmeal to walk..her...You could take her on a longer walk in the morning and evening,,,,Some other toys that work are Wiggly Giggly Toys....They come is various shapes and sizes...or You could keep her outside while ur gone...like you could Get fencing to put up like a dog run in the front or back of your house...then get a doggie door so he/she can go in and out of the house...but again bloxk off parts of the house you don't want it in....Well I hope this helps!!big grin
[notify]
Rhoda

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 4:53am PST 
Rhoda loves chasing the frisbee and loves to chew on her nylabones (the only toys she can have because she destroys everything else). During the day she goes to a doggie daycare close to her mother's work. They love her there. It allows her to become more social and really tires her outblue dog. I highly recommend doggie daycare if you have the means and your dog gets along well with other dogs.
[notify]