GO!

Weight and Height growth charts post here

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '08 4:14pm PST 
Just curious if any one has height or weight charts of their malamute while growing up. My girl turned 16 weeks today (4 months on Feb 11th). She is 36 lbs and 18.5 inches today. (By the way is that good weight for her height? Just want to make sure she's not over or underweight). It's exciting to watch them grow and learn!!
[notify]
Chaska

member of- scrapoholics- anonymous

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 9:05am PST 
my mal consistently gained about four pounds a week til about six months old and then she somewhat slowed down her growth. The weight of your mal for it's age sounds about right. Remember they are slow growers and as my vet told me, they don't reach full heigth til about a year and a half and weight at about two. You can go to the akc site online to get guidelines on weight standards. The giant mal breed standards are considerably higher than that of the standard and you won't find the giants listed with the akc. Also because of their size I have had many suggest to me not to keep them on puppy formula for and extended period of time, but rather switch them at about six months of age to an adult formula as the puppy food can make them grow too quickly causing medical issues later on such as hip dysplasia which mals are prone to. Have your vet keep a chart of your pups weight gain for each visit and then question him/her about the weight and size of your pup. I Found having my vet do that a great help.
[notify]
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 4:11pm PST 
Thanks! I was looking up weights and for her height I kept finding malamutes that weighed up to 20 lbs more than her and that seemed weird to me. I weigh her once a week and write it down. Since Christmas she has only gained 7 lbs but she is twice as tall. She goes to the vet tomorrow for her last shots so I guess if anything is wrong I will find out, but I doubt anything is wrong of course. Was just curious about her weight. I'm guessing she will probably put on a bit soon. She looks like a gangly teenager right now! bol
[notify]

Chaska

member of- scrapoholics- anonymous

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 9:44am PST 
I can always tell when chas is going through a new growth spurt as her ears grow first, making her look like dumbo,bol....big laugh Just remember you don't want her growing too fast, this can cause hip dysplasia later on.....
[notify]
Maya

PaperQueen

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 7:46am PST 
So I just wanted to give an update. Maya is 5 months old on Monday. Today she is 21 1/4" and 43 lbs(she's been set at 43 lbs for two weeks, but has grown an inch a week for three weeks. Is this ever going to stop? bol. She seems kind of light to me for that height, but she does look like a gangly teenager.
[notify]
Dexter

Mama's boy.

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '08 11:13am PST 
I am 19 weeks and around 40 lbs. I know I'm a big baby, but the doctor tells mama I'm gonna be HUGE!
[notify]
Mya

Miss Priss

Barked: Sun Jul 6, '08 5:15pm PST 
Im Only 17 weeks and Weigh 37 lbs and my sister Nakita is a bit bigger than me she is 40 lbs so it sounds good to me !
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 28, '08 1:48pm PST 
It's odd...Maya STOPPED growing pretty much totally at 6 months, didn't gain ANY weight not even an oz. I took her to the vet to get spayed on July 2nd. She was 54 lbs, just like she was when she was 6 months. I figured well she'll probably just REALLY slowly fill out. Well now she suddenly weighs 58 lbs! Both weighings were in the morning after she went to the bathroom and before she ate. She's also gained about a quarter inch. Is this normal??? I've never seen a dog stop growing like that then start again so suddenly could the spay have had something to do with it?
[notify]
Wallace

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 6:40am PST 
54lbs and 21" at the shoulders at 18 weeks
[notify]
Nanook

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '08 12:23pm PST 
Well i just went to the vet today Nanook is a pure bred alaskan malamute and 15 weeks old smile He weights 34.6 pounds. The vet said that he was big for his age though. puppy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3