GO!

Separation Anxiety

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Trent

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 5:39pm PST 
Hi Everyone,

My dog Trent is almost 5 months old. We are having a really hard time when we leave him in his crate. He cries, barks, and gets really upset. We are covering his crate with a blanket and giving him kongs with peanut butter. Nothing so far has really helped and our neighbors are really starting to get annoyed. He sleeps in our bed at night but we are going to try to get him back in his crate at night, hopefully that will help with his crate anxiety. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thank you!
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 1:46pm PST 
Hi!

What a cutie you have there. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

When we first brought Lilith home there was about 2-3 days when she would holler at the top of her lungs too, at the time we were in an apartment and the neighbors were not happy!

We found that if we covered the crate it would help a lot. But I see you already tried that.

Do you have other dogs or is he your only dog?

I also find that you can do some 'exercises' like leaving, and then coming back within a few minutes to 'show' him that you will, in fact, be coming back. Do you know how long he barks for when you leave? Is it the entire time?
[notify]
Trent

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 7:05pm PST 
Hi, so Trent is still barking non-stop. He is our only dog and our first dog together. We have tried so many things to keep him calm, but nothing seems to settle him when we leave for the day. I've tape recorded his barking and he literally barks all day while we are gone. It is really stressing us out! We have a dog trainer coming in to help us starting this week, hopefully they will have some helpful hints. Did your dog react the same way when you left the house? Could it be the crate he is negatively reacting to? Thanks for the help!
[notify]