GO!

Questions! (thinking of getting one)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 10:33am PST 
I don't know about other Klee Kai, but most of Misha's noises are quiet enough where I don't think the neighbors could here it. It's really only when we left him for a bit that he'd cry surprisingly loud... o_o And his attention seeking bark was pretty loud... >_<

So if you do decide to get one, I would let your neighbors know in advance that you're in the middle of puppy training and not to be alarmed. Neighbors are much less likely to get annoyed that way.

For a while one of my neighbors was dogsitting a Pom that would bark a lot because it was away from it's owner. Once she came over and let us know, it wasn't really a bother. smile Klee Kai won't bark all night, and I think that's really the main thing that bothers other people (when they're trying to sleep).
[notify]
Sizzle

Hiii...Squirrel.- ..my name is- Sizzle

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 8:51pm PST 
Esme can be really loud, I think it depends on how close your neighbor is to you. I can hear Esme from outside my house when she wants to be outside with me & I won't let her laugh out loud They do not do it all the time though & usually it doesnt last too long, so I think if you talk to your neighbors & let them know whats going on you should be fine.
AKKs are an amazing breed & you can't have just one, they truely are one of a kind cloud 9
I got both of my girls from Sherry Ann Blose, she does not ship her puppies though so you would have to come over and get them, but they are most definatly worth it. I'll give you the link for the rest of the breeders that are members of the AKKAOA as well as Sherry's website.
http://sibridgesalaskankleekai.webs.com/
http://akkaoa.or g/breeders.html
^^ this is the breeder directory so you can check out all the breeders & see which once fits your needs the best big grin
Good luck with deciding which breed is for you, its exteremly difficult laugh out loud
[notify]
Kiska

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 10:49am PST 
Hi,
I don't have much to add because I think the answers from Misha and Sizzle are on the mark.
I will say that Kiska didn't talk for about 1 - 2 weeks when we first brought her home but now that she's not afraid of us anymore, she is very talkative and she can be really, really loud sometimes. Once in puppy play group, she started barking and then crying because I guess maybe a bit of fur got caught accidentally in her collar? The crying was soooo loud and high pitched that the other humans were covering their ears....!
Lola, I did have a breeder contact me, looking to place an adult dog. I don't know her personally, and I don't know if you would be interested in an adult female? I can send you the information if you are interested.
[notify]

Sizzle

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 2:27pm PST 
Kiska, I know a woman who is also looking to place an adult female. Wonder if its the same one thinking
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 8:00pm PST 
Hey Guys!
thanks for the info about Lolas future little brother (or boyfriend?)!

Do you guys leave your AKKs alone at home? do they cry alot? do they act like they think youve left them forever?? How are they with obedience training?

And do you know why so many people don't ship AKKs?

About the adult female, i want to raise from puppyhood and also i think a male would complement better with Lola...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Hopefully our future AKK will be joyning this forum. Please let me know also if you know about kennels who ship abroad.
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 8:26pm PST 
My bf and I like to go out to eat a lot, so Misha gets left home for that. He cries and barks at first, but quiets down when he realizes that isn't bringing us back.
When we get home, there is a VERY enthusiastic greeting. He is not yet fully desensitized to us leaving, so there is lots of jumping and running around us and welcome home noises.

For obedience training, they're very smart dogs. smile I wouldn't say they train easy though. With the right incentives they pick things up VERY quickly, however they are also able to figure out when you're trying to get them to do things they don't want to. XD
Be aware that they do have a pretty high prey drive. They could be doing fantastic with recall training, and then suddenly they "can't hear you" when they see/smell something more interesting they want to go after. Luckily, because they are such a pack breed, they aren't likely to go too far if they do take off (by dog standards >_>).

With the shipping, I don't know for sure, but I'd guess many don't ship because of the kind of stress it puts on dogs and the uncertainty of not being able to meet who their pups are going to in person. So far, all of the breeders I've met love their dogs like children, and want the absolute best for them. They take placing a pup very seriously, and will deny someone if they don't think it's going to be a good fit.
[notify]
Sizzle

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 8:46pm PST 
Esme only screams when I go to take gizmo & Sasha out & leave her in. She can see me from the window lol. When we leave for good we crate her, she only screams for a few minutes & quiets right down.
Akks are incredibly smart & they want to please you so training is pretty easy, once you find that motivator. Cheese is a big hit here, especially when working on show training with Sizzle. Clicker training is also a huge help, Esme knows when the Clicker goes into my hand I mean business and fun training time begins. She focuses so much more on me with it than without.
As for the sex of your pup you know your dog better than we do. I always thought Sasha did better with males but she is doing great with Esme & Sizzle. There is always a constant dominance battle going on though, Sasha usually comes out on top. I have 3 dominant girls & a laidback boy LOL. Just let the breeder know the energy level & such that you are looking for ahead of time so they can match you with the right pup.
As for shipping, sherry doesn't like to ship because she doesn't like stressing her pup out that much, especially that young. She also likes to meet prospective puppy owners & if she gets the wrong vibe from you she won't sell you a puppy, end of story. She is extremely picky about where her babies go. She also keeps constant contact with her puppy owners so be ready to get close with your breeder. I think I answered all your questions but I'm on ky cell phone & can't look back LOL.
Keep us posted on your decision!!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 4:54pm PST 
Lots of breeders aren't open to shipping to a person who they've never met and who's not been involved in the breed and/or breed circle, though that would be hard to do so in Brazil since AKKs are not FCI recognized. Perhaps look into joining some AKK specific forums and stay a while, so that breeders can figure out what kind of person you are, etc.

Especially since you are far away and it is pretty clear you have never actually met one in person, nor know how they really are, shipping one out this early in the game really seems to be an impulse buy that many good breeders are not keen of.

It's scary to send a pup into the unknown.

If you are serious, you should also look into flying out to pick up the dog. The US isn't that far of a flight and things can be pretty affordable as it goes.

Edited by author Wed Feb 9, '11 4:55pm PST

[notify]
Esmerelda

They call me Lil- E....

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 3:19pm PST 
Nice post Lilith as always wink
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2