GO!

Help with cracked paws

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Keeva & Xena

Born to hunt!

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 10:12pm PST 
One member from Dog Health Forum suggested that you folks might be able to help me:

It has been bitterly cold here in Alberta (-25 celcius) for most of the month of December, while we were away (enjoying warm weather, yeah!) Our kennel is execellent, but the pups did not wear anything on their paws. Keeva's pads are just fine, but Xena is suffering from pads that are so dry that they are cracked and hurt her terribly. She is chewing on the dry, cracked skin thereby exposing raw skin. I have been applying Vaseline onto her paws and then putting baby socks on her paws so that the Vaseline doesn't end up all over our carpet, and it is helping somewhat. Does anyone have a better solution? I have only been able to find products that should be applied before they go out into the cold to prevent the problem, (they are now wearing booties), but nothing to help moisturize the dry cracked paws. PS - Being in Alberta, Bag Balm is not an option. It is not available for sale here due to some government regulation as a concession to the cattle industry.
[notify]
Snowfoot George

Are we there- yet? Are we- there yet?

Barked: Tue Jan 6, '09 3:32pm PST 
I think you are on the right track with the vaseline and socks- "Burt's Bees" makes an awesome human hand salve that works for pets as well- here is a link- sorry for the cut and pastered face
http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD isplay?productId=-82&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1
[notify]