GO!

important question!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 6:40am PST 
I have an akita. It's a girl and she's almost seven months now. I did some research about the breed and I've noticed that they are dominant. We go to the dog school or dog parks every week if it’s possible an I think it's important with this breed to go to many places as possible. Like every dog needs to get social with everything. You have to start at young age with this.
We’ve noticed some difficulties with obsession. When you leave something behind accidentally, she takes it en gets obsessive about it. When you want to take it back, she starts growling.
Is there anyone who has experience with this kind of behavior? Do you have any advice?
What is the best way to react?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 4:25am PST 
First, Akitas in my experience do have their own form of OCD. You will often notice this as they get a bit older. I noticed it with all three of mine over the past 17 years,they seem to believe that certain people belong in certain places and don't take well to them being out of place,they get over it in time. Socialization is absolutely essential with Akitas,should ideally start with the breeder at birth and continue for the rest of their lives,that does not mean that they will not ever develop things like SSA with other dogs,it just makes it more manageable. In my experience it is more likely in females and typically starts at around age 2. You are doing well with avoiding an issue as much as possible but should a problem develop it is not a failure on your part,just the nature of the breed and teaching her to ignore other dogs and walking away at that point will be essential. As far as your current problem the best way to deal with it is to teach her to trade something for the thing you want back and work from there until she understands that what you give you can take away and she must comply,this is a safety issue as much as a behavior issue and should ideally be taught from day one in your home starting with hand feeding. Do not ever punish growling, it is your dogs way of warnin you they are not happy with something and if punished for warning they may resort to biting to defend themselves or their things. Please get rid of the whole dominant idea, your Akita is not trying to take over your home,family, or the world. Yes, they are willful, they need to be taught mutual trust and respect as well as a good bond with their person.Patience and positive reinforcement training such as clicker training can go a long way toward accomplishing this. Good Luck.
[notify]
Kamii

Prissy Miss

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 5:40pm PST 
Hi, I am new to this forum but I have two Akitas. One girl 18months and one boy 8 months. The boy is my third Akita and seventh dog. My guys are really good and I spend quite a bit of time socializing and training. I typically buy/give them the same item but will not allow aggression under any circumstance. The play, romp, eat, drink etc together. I can start or stop rough play eating or releasing an item. It takes a lot of work and finding a good trainer to work with but it is definitely worth it. My girl Kamii right now is the more dominate of the two but incredibly good with kids. kodi bear was born a cautious pup and still is but with lots of training and social interaction he does well now and even has his canine good citizenship. But even with this I watch closely around kids. If you are willing to invest the time you won't be disappointed but if you are not a strong pack leader you would be better off not adding another. They deserve stability so choose wisely.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 4:53am PST 
Welcome Kamil and person. I just wanted to let you know that the Original Poster was not considering adding a second Akita at this point. I merely mentioned that I currently had 2 to point out the differences and similarities between them in a more understandable way. I am 48 years old andhave been around dogs all my life. I have 17+ years in Akita experience and have never had a trainer to help me,the trainers in my area refuse to work with Akitas due to their profile. Everything I learned about the breed was either from my own experience or from the years of experience that a small group of breeders and exhibitors was willing to share with me when AOL was new to the world. I will be forever thankful to them and to the Akita experts on several social networking sites most of which no longer exist. It's very nice to see new people here and have the input of many,I just wanted to clarify what you seemed to have missed or confused. Again Welcome andwave
[notify]
Kamii

Prissy Miss

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 1:21pm PST 
Thank you for setting me straight. I did mis read. But it is also because of all the wonderful people out there who are willing to take the time to post that my guys are so great. So with that said...my Kamii seems to not have the typical hind stance that her brothers have/had. As a matter of fact she is rather knocked kneed. She is scheduled for xrays on the 15th but I have neither met not spoken to anyone who has any idea why her leggs seemed to be a bit deformed. No pain to speak of but some trouple climbing in and out or up and down high places like jumping from the bed of the truck or climbing into the van. Her brother just jumps right over her and keeps going. When she walks she sort of switches like a girl due to her elbow position which seems to be a bit sideways. Any thoughts in your experience with the breed?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 10:27am PST 
It sounds like she may have joint problems. Until you get the x-rays done and even after PLEASE DO NOT LET HER JUMP. That only makes the joints more likely to develop issues. Also you could start her on fish oil 1200 mg/daily and a glucosamine/condroitin/dsm suppliment like cosequin.wavewishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 10:27am PST 
It sounds like she may have joint problems. Until you get the x-rays done and even after PLEASE DO NOT LET HER JUMP. That only makes the joints more likely to develop issues. Also you could start her on fish oil 1200 mg/daily and a glucosamine/condroitin/dsm suppliment like cosequin.wavewishes
[notify]