GO!

clumpy hair loss

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Leah

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:01pm PST 
I am 9 mos old and all of a sudden I have clumps of hair coming out! I know I shed a lot but this is more then the norm.. Mom is picking visable chunks of hair off me. I eat premium edge for large breed puppy. Have been since I was a few mos. old.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:19pm PST 
Are you sure she isn't just blowing her coat? The shedding does change as they get older and she may be ready to go into heat which will cause a "blow" the hair will come out in clumps and tufts rather than just stray single hairs or a few at a time. If there aren't any bald spots,bumps,bites or other issues this is likely the case. If there are you might want to see the vet.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:07am PST 
Just wondering how things are going with Leah? Have you and hubby made any progress with her behavior toward him? Have you discovered what is going on with the hairloss? Really just concerned about how you are managing and hoping you are feeling much better regarding your own health issues. Take Care and please kee us updated. Thanks.hugwishes
[notify]

Leah

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 4:02pm PST 
Leah has very a nice healthy looking coat/skin. Perhaps she is having a blow out. WOW.... its a lotta hair lol. Guess I will just groom her every day until she stops.
Leah is calming down some w/ hubby. We are working with her all the time. Unfortunately I just found out today that I may be facing a second surgery, so it will be awhile before things are normal again. Leah is a good girl at heart, and she loves her family very much.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:47am PST 
A blow is alot of hair. I swear I could easily knit a new Akita from the ammount each of mine loses when they blow their coats and they usually do it at basically the same time,Mika starts about two weeks earlier and Kai finishes about 2 weeks later and even with lots of daily brushing we have 4 months a year when my house is hit with a blizzard of Akita fur. Glad to hear things are getting better with her,they should continue to improve as he spends more time working with her. So sorry to hear that surgery will be necessary for you. Good Luck and we hope that everything goes well for you. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated as you feel up to it. We know that you have a difficult road ahead.big hugwishesflowers
[notify]
Leah

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 5:06am PST 
I am still " blowing my coat" and my hair is just everywhere! My mom and dad brush me 1-2 x a day. I hope this ends soon, it is hard for my mom to keep up right now. frown Good thing they love me so... much hehe. Thanks for all the post, well wishes!

Edited by author Sun Jan 27, '13 5:07am PST

[notify]