GO!

Short Haired Akita?!?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 1:01pm PST 
Yesterday we went to watch the parade of antique cars that they have every year that goes with the car show. There was a beautiful 13 month old female Akita. I recognized the breed right away but she was short haired. I was wondering if its a normal trait for some Akita's to have short fur or if they are supposed to be fluffy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 5:52am PST 
They do come in short,medium and long coat. The ones you see at dog shows usually have their coats combed or brushed to stand up and lots of hairspray. The person could also have shaved the dog,not something anyone who knows the Akita coat would advise.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 7:17am PST 
I just wondered because I am used to seeing the ones that look more fluffy. I wish I had been able to take a photo of her because she was really beautiful. And she was really sweet. She got along fine with Tank. I thought that she would have been more aloof with strange people but she was wagging her tail and giving kisses. Almost makes me want to study up more on getting one in the far distant future. I almost got one years ago but opted not to because the breeder's bitch was really aggressive. Beautiful but aggressive. This little short haired female we saw Saterday was a soft tan and white and just sooo beautiful.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:19am PST 
At 13 months Akitas are still very much puppies.With enough socialization which ammounts to an hour or two a day,they can remain quite friendly in public. Mine are sweeties in public,try to walk in the yard or house or near anything they consider theirs at home and it is a very different story. Before you consider even thinking of getting one do alot of research especially on how to raise them properly. They in all honesty require you to put in about 8 hours a day in training,socialization and exercise for at least the first year and 4-5 hours a day for the rest of their lives to stay balanced and well behaved,they also have SSA which develops between 18 mos.-3yrs. Even when previously fine with the other dog,they must be leashed,tethered or fenced in in a way that they can't get out and require alot of dedication. You only get out of them what you are willing to put into them. They are not at all an easy breed and unless you know with certainty that you are willing to put in the time,effort and energy to make them the best they can be,please as someone who loves the breed don't get one. It breaks my heart to know that nearly 50% of Akitas born each year end up in rescues,shelters,and ultimately euthanized because someone thought that they were cute or beautiful and got one having no idea what they were getting into.
A good place to start your research on wether or not you have a home appropriate for an Akita is "The Akita Rescue of W.New York" home page. They have a section on the site that tells you what you need to be a responsible Akita owner. If you make it through the first 100 questions/conditions and still want one,read on.
[notify]
Leah

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 1:45pm PST 
Could have been a " Japanese" Akita vs. " American"
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 12:03pm PST 
^ Not necessarily, Leah. I've seen some flufffffyyyyyy Japanese Akitas! laugh out loud In fact, a new breeder (her first litter was born in October) in California owns a really fluffy white Akita Inu.

Mostly, Amerian Akitas are just larger than Akita Inus. The Akita Inu has more of a foxy look - though definitely bigger than a fox. XD American Akitas are more bear-like in appearance.
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 1:19pm PST 
Kodiak is a short haired Akita right now. laugh out loud (His last coat blow left him looking rather sleek and also very grey)
[notify]