GO!

Adding an Akita Puppy to our Family--Questions for Experienced Akita Owners

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:31pm PST 
Bear, many people who have studied dog nutrition give Science Diet an F. Don't feel bad, though, haha; Lobo used to be fed it, too, and I thought it was awesome until we switched.

Other than that, I think you've got everything! Good luck!
[notify]
Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 6:21pm PST 
So...it's less than a month away before our puppy is born! I'm so excited!

The timing couldn't be more perfect. We will get the puppy at a little over 8 weeks of age, and it will be right when I go on Christmas Break for work. So my husband, daughter, and I will be at home with the new pup for two weeks straight working on some basic training while enjoying our time off as a family. I think this will be a great bonding time! Plus, before we get the pup 1) I can be there when they are born and 2) I can go over, visit, and interact with the pups on a regular basis. I think this will be a great way in helping us get to know the pups' personalities and assist us in choosing the right one for our family.

YAY FOR A NEW FAMILY MEMBER!!!dancing
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:12am PST 
It sounds like you have found a wonderful breeder. I was not able to be at the breeder's home when Kai was born but I did e-mail and talk with the breeder over the phone during the birth of the entire litter,met him just past being 24 hours old and we were welcome to go to the breeders at anytime with just a phone call and see and interact with Kai and his entire litter during the entire time he was there. It did seem to make the transition from her home to ours much easier because not only our smell but Mika's was very familiar to him and he had no problem trusting us from the start.He adapted to our home and routines very quickly and as long as we were near handled the rest of the world like he owned it. Now for you comes the hard part,waiting until your pup can join your family. Don't forget to get down on the floor at his level and look for any hazards or things he might get into before bringing him home and Good Luck!!! Our biggie boy is celebrating his 3rd birthday today.
[notify]

Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 4:18pm PST 
Well happy birthday to Kai. smile Yes, the waiting game stinks, but will be sooo worth it! We have our home "toddler proofed" and with Bear, I sometimes forget he is almost 8 because he gets into things as if he were a puppy. We are careful about what we leave out, and we keep our home tidy. I think the biggest challenge will be the Christmas tree! That's intriguing for a 3 year old, an adult Pom, I can only imagine a puppy! But it will work! I'll be sure to upload a pic when I can and let all of you who have been so helpful know when our new little guy is born!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:14pm PST 
We always are as well but we found out when Mika came as a puppy that there were a few things we hadn't considered like the fact that she could fit between the nightstand and the waterbed and that the end of the waterbed had an opening she could climb in. We also live in a very old house with limited outlets and lots of cords,we bundled them together and stapled them out of her way,there were a few other things and I completely understand the Christmas thing. The only thing there is ornaments and balls look alot alike to young puppies. Kai was only 3 months at Christmas,just keep your pup tethered to you when you are in the room with the tree,it keeps them out of danger and trouble. The wait will be completely worth it but even with frequent visits it is agonizing. Good Luck and we will be waiting for the puppy pics.big grin Kai says Agroo,that is Akita for Thank-you for the birthday wishes.
[notify]
Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 4:18pm PST 
This has been such a hectic journey. The dog miscarried. But every time a door closes a window opens. We found another breeder who owns both the mom and dad, sent me pics of both. I met the pups TODAY and we pick up our baby NEXT Saturday! He will be 10 weeks old, has all his shots/deworming, has his own "puppy folder", and is loved a lot! I'm so excited! now the name...we are undecided. But he is EXACTLY the color of pup we would have picked if we could and his personality fits with our family wonderfully. Yay! Now to buy the necesseities! I have a pic but cant load it right now.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:55pm PST 
Glad you finally found a pup. At 10 weeks it is key that you socialize alot and keep him with you as much as possible for bonding. When it comes to Akitas the period between 8-14 weeks is critical for bonding and socialization,depending on how much he had with your breeder you may have to do a little more to make sure that he catches up with those two very key issues. You will still have to be cautious about Parvo if he has not had his 3rd round of vaccines but aside from that get him around as many different people and places as humanly possible during this critical time,he will need soscialization all his life but it is vitally important that he get as much as you can possibly get him now,we were blessed that our breeder socialized pups with different people and dogs from the minute they were born,literally,Kai's mother had 2 femalr papillions in attendance at the birth of the pups as well as the breeder and her young daughter for a time.Everyone who was getting a puppy from that litter was there within 48 hours to see,touch,and socialize with the pups,she also has a large extended family and lots of freinds that were with the pups daily as well as frequent visits from the people who were getting pups from either that litter or the one born 2 weeks later. By the time we brought Kai home at 8 weeks he had already met at least 30 of the 100 minimum different people they are to meet in the first year of life. we had a really good head start and aside from taking about 2 days where unless he was hungry or needed to potty to settle in and want to be on his own to explore,he was happy and very well adjusted,calm,relaxed,had no fear of new people,places or situations. Mika who had not had that socailization early on came to us at just over 9 weeks very nervous,afraid of new people,new places and situations,we worked extra hard with her,took her everywhere,were at pet friendly places daily,made sure she met new people all the time and even now at almost 6 she is far more uncomfortable with new people and new situations,so it really is key to work on that and make sure your pup becomes relaxed,confident,and is not fearful of new things. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Akitas,Enjoy and Socialize!!!
[notify]
Bear

Everybody's- Buddy

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 4:39pm PST 
Thanks for all the info. They have been socialized with adults and kids as well as dogs. We met him and he isn't nervous in new places or around us. He was very laid back, attentive to his surroundings, and enjoyed me holding him! He seemed well socialized and didn't signal any red flags for us; and I've researched a lot lol. He's had his 3rd round of shots, today actually, and weighs 20.4 lbs. according to the adult weight calculator on dogster he will weigh about 118 lbs. I can't wait to upload a photo. I can't right now. But if you have any more tips this week, please share! It's earlier than we expected but I'm sooooo excited to have him home!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 11:31am PST 
He sounds like the type of puppy Kai was. You will be amazed at how quickly he will pick things up,like normal routines for the house,who comes home when,if it is bedtime,and if you work on them simple commands like paw or shake,sit,down and other things that you expect from him,he will most likely also teach himself some things you prefer he not learn. Kai certainly did,and watch that laid back fear nothing personality,it will keep you on your toes,it should be alot of fun though.wishes
[notify]
Koda

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 6:33pm PST 
I added a picture to Koda's page. If you want to take a look at our new cutie, he is up now!
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6