GO!

The 'Soft' Akita..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 7:44am PST 
That is fine and wonderful, and I'm happy that you also like your dogs. I doubt either of us would have accounts on 'dogster' if that wasn't the case.

My dog has defecated in the two situations where others would have bitten. I'd rather have a mess than a lawsuit, lol. If you think there is something wrong with him for that, then that's your issue to sort out, not mine and certainly not his.

The fact that he's had some scuffles at the dog park doesn't put a shadow over the fact that he has a GREAT time at the park, deals with those confrontations well, and gets along with all other non-aggressive dogs. If's not a 'stressful situation that I should shield him from', it's something he loves to do, and he handles the occasional issues extraordinarily well.

I posted here because I hoped to find dog lovers, not people that would jump to the conclusion that my dog is "living in fear" or that his breeder raised him wrong because he won't fight or bite!

Edited by author Sat May 5, '12 7:50am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 7:58am PST 
Neither of my dogs would have bitten in either of those situations. They are and have been well socialized. They also would not have defecated in those situations,they would simply have gone with the person holding the leash because that is what I wanted them to do. They know our vets and their staff well and are not fearful of going with them. I can tell you from having gotten my dogs from different situations that very early socialization does make a difference in how they can react to stress later in life. My dogs also do not fight with other dogs. We in fact have a female Golden Retreiver down the street that is often loose,that lunges at my fence growling and snapping and prior to having the fence attacked my female twice,at most my pups will pace the fence and bark,but will immediately come when called and ignore her.
I personally do not use a groomer because I don't feel the need to pay someone for what I myself can do. As I stated in one of my earlier posts my Mika has some fearful behaviors but only when strangers come into my home. We still worked with her on those issues and continue to do so for her own sense of security. I did not say that there was something wrong with your dog that could not be easily corrected and if he has gotten better at handling stress as he gets older that is great and it may be a non-issue. If he hasn't then perhaps you can work on ways to make him more comfortable in those situations.
I simply said that I am not a behaviorist and did not know how to help you teach him to handle stress better. That is why I suggested a professional. I know from seeing for myself that early socialization plays a major role in how puppies behave later,I did not say your breeder did anything wrong. I simply stated that perhaps your breeder,like the one we got Mika from did not socialize their puppies in the same manner that the breeder we got Kai from did and it can make a world of difference. What offended me was your implication that my dogs because they did not behave like your dog when stressed,were in any way less wonderful than yours. They aren't,they are just different. Having two with very different personalities that I deal with daily does not make me think that one of mine is more wonderful than the other and certainly not better than anyone else's. You in fact in your original post mentioned that Kodiak seemed a bit fearful when stressed. So I don't feel that either myself or the other poster "jumped" to any conclusions.
My Akitas both have very different personalities and each has their quirks but to both my husband and I they are absolutely wonderful and we would'nt have them any other way,we only wish for Mika's sake that we could find a behaviorist in our area so that we could find more effective ways to teach her to relax a bit around strangers in our home,so that she could truly enjoy their attention.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 10:53pm PST 
Goodness. People become defensive over the most silly things.

Kodiak did not sound like a "soft" Akita from the way you described.

Lobo is what you would describe as a "soft" Akita. He is bold and confident, but polite, and will sit and sometimes lean against someone's leg while they're petting him. He accepts the pets of strangers, and, one they have been allowed in the house, is fine with them. He HAS shown protective tendencies - one in particular when a dog was barking at my brother, and Lobo was very quick to jump to the defense of my brother - even though my brother isn't particularly nice to Lobo.

What M&K and I were saying, was not to offend you, it was to potentially HELP you. I STILL stand by what I said, I hope seriously that you look for aid. Fear CAN lead to aggression - it's called being 'reactive'. Poppy is human-reactive. Poppy HAS bitten before, and I know for a fact that if we don't continue working with him, he WILL bite again.

The book "Scaredy Dog!" by Ali Brown has helped us(though this book is more for reactive dogs), as well as "Behavior Adjustment Training" by Grisha Stewart. The website fearfuldogs.com has also helped us. We were not able to afford a behaviorist nor a personal trainer, though I thankfully have a trainer friend who also owns a reactive dog, and she has helped me.

It is not a bad thing for a dog to be fearful. You shouldn't feel offended by what we think your dog feels. Instead, I fully recommend you research fearful-dog behavior and body language, so that you know precisely what to look for. And from then, understand what Kodiak's triggers are, and from there, help Kodiak to be a healthier, happier pup.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 6:53am PST 
Agree 100% with Lobo and M&K.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 8:36am PST 
I'm going to add one more thing.

A dog defecating on himself is a MAJOR sign of fear and/or major anxiety. It IS serious, and could lead to worse physical and mental problems. Again, this is NOT meant to offend you. We want to help you and Kodiak so that you can both be happy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 6:50am PST 
Lobo and Guest/Member it would seem that Kodiak's person doesn't care for our advice because it would mean doing something to help their dog,rather than that they are correct and have the only wonderful Akita on earth. We on the other hand have badly behaved vicious Akitas that this person would want nothing to do with. Lobo,as you know I have many years of research behind me in ever having chosen to have an Akita, have given many some very good advice,have always tried to be helpful and point people in the right direction,and absolutely adore the breed. This person does not want help,they only want to brag about how "soft" and loving their Akita is. I do very much appreciate your input and point of view,and your defense of my feelings on the issue. Thank-You both.hugwishes
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 9:50am PST 
I guess so, M&K. It's just so sad, because fearful dogs can and usually will be pushed to the limit, and this "soft" dog may attack out of fear. A 100+lbs dog attacking is almost immediately going to warrant the dog be put to sleep. ESPECIALLY because this dog so clearly will have mental issues because clearly he's not showing any signs right now of fear. (hopefully you can read the sarcasm)

shrug "Gotta know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em."
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 5:17pm PST 
I'm Guest/member. Yes, I agree that this person is in a bad way too prideful to accept that her dog has issues and doesn't live up to the full potential of the Akita standard and lives in fear. If I were Kodiak I would put aside all that pride to help my dog live a life full of confidence and self-assurance.

I guess that means that I have an Akita puppy that is a total monster that likes to bite at whoever she sees because she doesn't defecate on herself and doesn't show submissiveness to other dogs. eek
[notify]
Kodiak CGC

WOOoooOOoo

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 12:31pm PST 
Mostly driven off from this site by the responses I got, but I'll post another reply here anyway.

Since posting here, Kodi's been to a couple different trainers for temperament assessments (Because I'm sensitive to what strangers have to say and you guys had me second guessing myself, hilarious) and been told that he's not fearful at all and in fact is confident and social with people and dogs, joined up in a daycare where they tell me he handles all situations well and is lovely with both people and dogs, taken a couple more classes which he always does splendid in, continued going to dog parks where he has a blast, and has gotten through the fear period he was in when I first posted (amazingly without attacking anyone!! Shock!).

Everyone who has met him in person thinks he's beautifully socialized, perfectly trained, well handled, well bonded, and I've been told by more than a few people he's the friendliest Akita they've ever met. dancing

Shame I couldn't find FRIENDS on here. He's a really good dog and I'm a pretty decent person, and if given a chance we both could have found a lot of really positive interactions through this site.

As I've been saying:
My dog isn't damaged, he's not being mismanaged in any way. He's a happy, social, active, popular guy who is still very soft and there is no issue with that between him and anyone else in the real world who's met him.
I am a loving and dog-devoted owner who has brought out the best in him and I continue to grow and show that off, earning us praise and friends everywhere we go.... except here.

Judge others less.

Edited by author Wed Oct 31, '12 12:40pm PST

[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 12:52am PST 
Kodiak, that's fantastic that he's different than what we guessed.

However, you should keep in mind that from you told us, they were very CLEAR signs of stress and extreme fear. A dog defecating is absolutely a sign of severe fear. Being soft is not a crime. Being afraid isn't a crime, either. But to totally ignore that fear should be a crime.

You didn't. You went out and talked to behaviorists, so good for you. That's amazing. There aren't many people who do.

What Kodiak likely went through was a fear period, that he's apparently over now.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3