GO!

American or Japanese?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 11:20pm PST 
I'm a little curious as to who prefers which "type" of Akita. Since there are two distinct "breeds" of Akita now, I was also wondering about their major differences in temperament? I was aware of the physical differences, but are there any temperamental differences, as well?

Personally, I prefer the look of the Japanese Akita. Both are very beautiful, but for some reason I've always been very drawn to the Japanese Akita. I think it's the mask that the American sports. It just doesn't attract me, for whatever reason. I like that they're huge and look like bears, though.

But if there are differences in temperament, I'm thinking I might rethink my future Akita, based on those differences. Lobo is Japanese Akita mixed with Siberian Husky, so I can't say for sure his temperament is always Akita. I've never had a purebred Akita, and have never really had experience aside from this one woman who bred Japanese Akitas (beautiful, friendly dogs; I don't THINK she was a true breeder, but she was friendly and knowledgeable nonetheless, and her dogs looked amazing and had lovely temperaments).

Anywaysss... Which do you prefer? Why? And are there any temperament differences I should know about before I opt to get one? (keep in mind that this'll be at the very least another five years into the future, and it will be female to reduce any aggression problems Lobes might have - and he will be with us to pick out his new sister so we don't make any mistakes)
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 5:47am PST 
Lobo and person,
There is from the research I have done a difference,The Japanese version can be more agressive and is usually a little more aloof and stubborn. I got my information from people who had or have owned both and this was their opinion. I personally do not have experience with the Japanese. The American Akita's don't always have the mask either. The pure brindle and even the tuxedo in American Akitas for some reason tend to be a bit smaller and slighter of bone like the Japanese, Kai by the way is very close, if not just like the Japanese of his color (Red). If you click on his single page rather than the page he has with Mika you'll see what a surprize color can be.
We and even the breeder expected that Kai would keep some of his black and have a split mask,he doesn't the only black he has left is his winter undercoat which when seen in person leaves a silverish diamond between his ears and on to the top of his face and some silver around his nose and muzzle. I don't know of anyone here on dogster who has the Japanese variety but there is a dogster group called some thing like "The Great Japanese Dog" that is supposed to be for owners of the Japanese variety that may be of some help. BTW/If you are considering adding a second Akita it's considered best to go with the opposite sex as same sex agression is much more common than even DA with Akitas,Mika was fine with either sex and had no agression issues with other dogs until after age 3 now she only tolerates and just barely my sister's female beagle mix and has to be closely watched now even with her. P-mail if you'd like.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 3:19pm PST 
Both of your babies are absolutely beautiful.

I think that makes a lot of sense with the difference between their temperaments. Lobo has been less tolerant of other dogs as the years have progressed, and he is definitely extremely stubborn. He can be a bit unsure about some things (my fault, I stupidly used Cesar's methods when we first got him) but since then, he's come very far.

He's also considerably smaller than other Akitas I've seen (which have been Americans except that one Japanese breeder), but he is mixed with Husky. He's got the Akita height and build, but a chubby husky weight. It actually makes him look normal (you know, to owners who have fat dogs) but he's still overweight.

Judging from the different temperaments, I'm thinking I might get an American Akita. As much as I love Lobo, I'm not sure I'm exactly good with dogs who may may be even more stubborn than he is.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 6:03am PST 
Lobo,
The insecurity he has shown at times may not be your fault. Mika's breeder didn't socialize pups as much and we didn't use Ceasar's methods but she is still a bit insecure and more suspicious than Kai who we know was socialized and handled from day one by his breeder because we had so much contact with the breeder and we held Kai and his siblings at a day and a half and other buyers from our breeder did the same thing and the difference between the two was obvious even earlier than the 8-9 weeks when we got them. Kai was much more relaxed,social and confident than Mika was and he has taught her to be more confident,while he has stayed just as confident,less able to be intimidated,and more bold. If and when you are ready to add a second Akita keep in mind that the earlier they are socialized by the breeder the better. Our breeder didn't pup he pups at risk by taking them out but made sure they met people and her other dogs while still very young,in fact the puppies from Kai's litter were playing with a pair of papillions at 3-4 weeks,they also had a slightly younger litter of Akita pups to play with. It made such a huge and obvious difference and Mika and Kai share part of a bloodline.Mika's father was the grandfather to Kai's mother. Making Mika Kai's great Aunt.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 6:04am PST 
BTW/ Lobo is a very handsome boy!!!
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 12:03am PST 
Ah, then it's possible he just wasn't socialized. He seems to get along better with smaller males, and females of all sizes. Not so good with other male dogs his size or larger. As a general rule, I don't really let him around other dogs except for a very brief sniff and then we walk away. He's been getting better, and will still perform little tasks in the presence of another dog.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 8:48am PST 
When it says in the info about Akitas needing to be socialized alot more than other breeds from an early age they really mean Day 1. It's important not to put them at risk of getting sick but they need to be socialized as much as humanly possible. One of the reasons I think the poster in our other thread got an Akita from the wrong place and for the wrong reason,no responsible breeder would sell a pup to someone without making sure they knew what they were getting into and could handle the pups needs.

BTW/ I think we both came off as a bit hostile but I care so much about the breed and am tired of hearing how awful they are because of them getting into the hands of people who have no business owning them.
That was the downfall of the pitbull type breeds and quite a few others as well. I am willing to help anyone who did the work and just needs some reassurance and problem solving, I have no time for those who make my owning an Akita such a difficulty.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 10:53am PST 
You know, sometimes I think people NEED to be told things, not just have things be suggested for them. I find it a little sad that a seventeen year old knows that laugh out loud

I didn't get Lobo KNOWING that he had Akita in him. I only narrowed it down based on his physical appearance and his personality. And I could be wrong about his breed, who knows? But either way, he's what interested me in the breed, so whether he really has Akita in him or not, I still have him to thank for getting me into this wonderful breed.
[notify]