GO!

Does anyone here have more than 1 Akita?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 4:12am PST 
How did you introduce them to each other?How do they get along?How do you keep them from fighting when you're not home? Mika is almost 3 and we would like to get her a little brother to play with .She is already spayed so breeding is not an issue but were concerned about territoriality,and resource guarding . Wr're basically not sure how willing she would be to share what she has including us.Any input or information would be appreciated.
[notify]
Samsom

Samster-Food- hound

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 12:41pm PST 
I have 2 rescues. I rescued Sammy first, then 4 months later I rescued Sashi. They were introduced on neutral territory with one person holding the leash of each dog. We made sure there was no aggression issues to begin with, and if they did come up, we would call a trainer. Always hire a dog trainer who knows Akitas when you add another to the pack(I am a dog trainer). Any eating, treats, etc.. the first dog in the family gets. That is the rule. the new dog is the lowest in the pack! when you are away, crate the new Akita. it won't be forever, but they need to learn how to get along as pack members. Get back to me!dog
[notify]
Mika

Barked: Mon Aug 17, '09 11:22am PST 
Thank-you so much for replying to my post. We've been considering a young rescue or a puppy.Mika is very good with other dogs and we have always introduced her even to playmates at our house on neutral ground such as the sidewalk a few houses down the street then kind of let her in itiate play before walking back up the street to her yard.I have alot of experience with dogs and have on more than one occasion had as many as three living in the house at once but really wasn't sure about the multiple akita thing. Thank-you for the advice I really appreciate your taking time out to help with the situation.Would it be okay to keep in touch with youy for vtips and advice if we do add another akita to the family?
Thanks again and take care Mika& Mikasmom
[notify]

Sashi

Food hound

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 7:28pm PST 
Sorry it took me a while to respond. I would love to help out. Sometimes i forget to get on the site. i will write myself a note to focus on this only! i've had 2 akitas for 12 years, and it can be a challenge, but so rewarding and so much fun!!!!!! Sammy, Sashi and Ilene
[notify]
Mika

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 8:37am PST 
Sami,Sashi'and Ilene,
How are you? Mika is fine. We will be introducing her to her new brother in about 4wks. at a location not far from the breeders home.He will be between 4&5wks. at that time. She is very c areful with baby anythings. We will be bringing the pup home at the age of 8wks. and already know to give attention75/25 with her getting everything first and gradually increasing his attention until they reach 50/50 with her still and always getting things first.Any other advice you could give us to make transition e3asier would be appreciated.
[notify]