GO!

Akita Training Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Kita- Adopted! :)

Big dogs can be- lap dogs too!

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 1:44pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses! We found out Kita is GREAT with cats, but she still doesn't like other dogs. Go figure. I'm glad we finally cat tested kita. She is still a little defensive over her toys- she's so afraid the cats going to make off with them BOL. She's learned not to trip over cats when running down the stairs (or more accurately the cats have learned to fake her out so she goes tumbling down the stairs FIRST and then they follow). The cats are eating her dogfood- she looks so sad when they do that. And the kitties walk under her and inbetween her legs and she hardly even notices.
[notify]
~ Gabe~

Big Dog on- Campus

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 6:37pm PST 
This is my second Akita, the first one I had respected my other dogs at the time, but would not get along with any other dog in his "pack". The Akita I have now is neutered and lives with 3 other dogs. But at 4 months of age his dominance took over and he had to be seperated from the other dogs. He's outside in a pen now big enough to house him in and for him to move around. During the day he's allowed to run around the yard but only if the other dogs are put up. You have to remember that Akitas were used to hunt large prey and were also used as Japanese fighting and guard dogs at one time. I've known people to have more than one Akita and not have a problem. However, as it states in any Akita book that you would read, they should never be left unattended with a small animal or small child. wink
[notify]
Bully's Beau

I'm a sexy- beast, NOT an- aggressive one!

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 2:11am PST 
Well, for starters you have to teach them that you're the boss from puppyhood. Beau looks to my mother for direction and assurance for certain. She is THE BOSS LADY!!! In addition, Beau was socialized from puppyhood with other dogs. Consequently, when my mom's other dog passed away, he became really depressed. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't go on walks, just stared off into space. Another dog showed up and he was back to his normal self though! thinking Beau is of the Japanese standard, however, and from what I understand the American standard is a tad more dog aggressive than the Japanese standard. Though Beau doesn't get along with other animals at all. He doesn't do cats or small creatures at all, and the bigger ones (cows, goats and horses) he ignores. I really think the key with Beau from the start was teaching him that Mom was the boss and was to be obeyed if he wanted to play, to eat, to go outside, etc.
[notify]

Taz - cgc tdi

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 5:43pm PST 
Currently I have 2 Akita's, 2 mixes, and one foster Akita. The only one that is separated from the pack is our foster. We do allow him play time, but at 11, we don't like to push it. 3 of our dog's are female and 2 are male. You need to be a strong leader, do a lot of socializing, and I highly suggest taking a good obedience class. As far as cats, we don't have any and I've taught the dogs to leave strays alone. Of course if one entered the back yard and we weren't watching, all bets are off.
[notify]
Kuma

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 8:56am PST 
Kuma is not a cat lover!! We have two cats (one outdoor and one in-door only) and I don't trust him with either of them. He loves the chase. My in-door cat (Siamese) is older and she is terrified of him. We affectionately call him the "beast" LOL! If my out door cat runs, he is after her. So I keep him on a leach and have total control of him all the time. He is crate trained, so when he out, we make sure they are safe. I never have him off his leach when he outside. We take him to the dog park and that is where he gets most of his exercise. He just loves being there!!!
[notify]
Sabre

All the snow- belongs to me...

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 6:20am PST 
My boy Sabre is not aggressive for the most part. The vet said he has "fear aggression" so we've been working on socialization, taking him to many public places. He's ok around my daughter but sometimes a little nippy. I have never been a dog person, in fact I have been scared of dogs most of my life, but as soon as we got Sabre, he became MY baby. I have been the one doing all of the work training. My husband sometimes encourages bad behavior which makes my job a little more difficult. I hired someone to come to my house and am currently taking him to a class. The person who said something about being easily distracted outside, I can totally relate to that.

Sabre really does love to meet people and other dogs but as soon as the sniffing is over he just wants to play. Then he gets frustrated if he cannot. I love Sabre so much and am trying to get him to be a well mannered boy. I know we have much work ahead still--he's 10 months old.

Sabre does love to play with other dogs. I was extremely nervous when he first encountered other dogs because of all that I had read, especially with same sex dogs. I quickly realized that I did not need to be nervous. He learned doggy etiquette very soon after one of the trainer's older females put him in his place for being too playful. Ever since, he has been excellent and I have had a much calmer energy.

Sorry to have written so much. I could talk about Sabre ALL day!!
[notify]
~ Gabe~

Big Dog on- Campus

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 11:34pm PST 
Gabe is my second Akita. Reuben, a male we had before Gabe was raised with my other dogs and cats, and got along well with all of them. Other dogs or cats on the other hand not so much. The Akita I have now, is also a male. He got along fine with my other dogs up until the age of 4 months. He's neutered, has been to obedience, etc, etc. He's fine with people, unless put in a threatening situation, but will NOT get along with other animals. If you are going to own an Akita, you need to know first and foremost that you can not change their personalities. They were bred as hunting dogs and as fighting dogs. You can not breed these traits out of any dog!! You can control them up to an extent, but they will always exist. If you are unsure of how your Akita will act with another animal, I suggest keeping them at a safe distance first to see how your Akita interacts with them. Gabe was put in obedience at 4 1/2 months of age, and did very well, as long as another dog didn't envade his personal space. He still does very well today, as long as he's the only dog. Which means, we keep our other dogs away from him and we do not let him run. Each Akita has their own personality and their own likes and dislikes, you have to accept them. Perhaps you should read up on the breed and their history, it may help you understand what to expect. I learned that Gabe is just acting out in the way he was bred, I love him, and even though he is aggressive with other animals, I accepted this. Just like some people have wolves as pets, you can tame them, but you can never domesticate them. All dogs still posesse their wild ancestory. Good luck in your ventures!!! wave
[notify]
Sabre

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 8:16am PST 
Sabre is 1 yr/2 mos old and has regular playdates with a female mutt and male german shepherd. He does well with both of them. He also has playdates with a couple of labs. He was actually intimidated by the german shepherd at first and does spend most of their time chasing the female. After 5 mos. though he is finally getting so that he has a bit of play time with the male while they're together. The shepherd is a little more playful in the cooler weather now so that helps too. He's even to the point where he will try to instigate and get the shepherd in on the action of chasing the female.

The only dog he had trouble with was my brother in law's female akita. We thought they'd play well because she's a couple years older but still as high energy as Sabre. She turned out to be somewhat of a bully and really did not have experiences with other dogs.

We tried a training class but that didn't go well simply because they would not allow any dog to dog contact and the thing that Sabre wants most is to meet other dogs. I think he would have taken that over the food rewards any day.

His guard dog tendencies appear mostly within the house when he thinks someone or something is approaching. Outside I can see the hunting side as his nose is constantly to the ground. We recently fenced in part of our yard which is making the outside exercise much easier. The 50 ft. rope thing is just not practical, although it worked for long enough. So now with his walks/runs with me and his time with my husband in the fence, he can release enough energy to hopefully not chew too much of my house when left alone.

Like I said previously, I was concerned because of what I'd read about akitas, so I asked my trainer and she told me that I would be able to tell the difference between dogs playing and dogs being aggressive. That is very true. I could tell that the other akita was not playing and that we needed to end it. I was also worried that the one bad experience would change the way Sabre is around his friends and it hasn't thankfully.

I am certainly no expert and this is my first dog. It has changed me for sure. Reading up on what you're getting into is a good thing, but realizing that it is not set in stone that he will be exactly like the textbook akita is important too.
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Fri Jul 17, '09 9:13am PST 
I guess you can try to teach them to get along but,always keep in the back of your mind that akiitas are dominant and may see a smaller animal as prey.We had a very sweet ,loving,and gentle akita /sheppard mix who took after the akita in personality.We had had our himilayan cat for 7 years before the dog arrived for the next 3 years no problem.Then one day they both decided they wanted outside with me. From outside Iheard the cat hiss the dog growl,and the cat kinda yeowl. By the time Igot inside and moved the couch.(where the cat ran to hide ) it was too late the cat was already dead. So even if they can and usually do get along accidents can happen.All it takes is a small nip in the wrong place and the results can be tragic.
[notify]
Sabre

Barked: Sun Jul 19, '09 8:26am PST 
Oh yes, I am very mindful of the history and what the breed is about. I will keep my eyes open for Sabre becoming more assertive on his playdates. So far all he wants to do is meet and play with other dogs, except for itty bitties. I think they remind him of a squirrel, rabbit, or something. At the dog park recently, all was well until a teeny dog came in. Now I will preface this with the fact that when I arrived, I checked things out to make sure that the dogs already there were of an appropriate size for Sabre to play with. I felt like that was my responsibility. Apparently the owner of the little one did not feel the need to do the same and she brought it in. I know she saw Sabre standing there and of course I'm not disputing her right to come in. He didn't care for the little dog so I grabbed him and left. I was only there for 20 minutes and felt like Sabre got gipped out of some good play time, so I took him to Petsmart for more socialization work with people!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3