Zachariah Herbert (Zack)

Border Collie/Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Picture of Zachariah Herbert (Zack), a male Border Collie/Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Photo Comments

Home:Leeds, United Kingdom  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 9 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 51-100 lbs

My Videos [See My Video Book]

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Zachariah Herbert (Zack)

Special Gift Box:

Zacky, Zakawya, Zackary, Zackles, Doggles

Sun Sign:
Dog News and Information
Gotcha Date:
January 26th 2008

September 23rd 2007

Blankets, cuddles, food, the cats, his family, walks,

Noise, thunderstorms, window cleaners, bikes, horses

Favorite Toy:
His rubber bone and ball and his 3-rings; a rubber tug toy

Favorite Food:
Anything and Everything

Favorite Walk:
Golden Acre Park, The Chevin

Best Tricks:
Singing, Paw (both paws)

Arrival Story:
Zack was the runt of a litter which my neighbour's Staffie had with a local Border Collie. My neighbour had no idea how to look after him so she brought him to me at 10 days old, initially just to 'foster' him until he got older. I returned him to her at 10 weeks but she called just a few weeks later to say she couldn't cope with him so did I want him permanently? And he's been with me ever since.

Zack's original name was Conan. We changed it when he came home for good. Zack had nine littermates. He was born with rickets but got a special powder from the vet for his puppy milk and was cured. Zack needs comfort blankets, which he sucks when he is happy, anxious or tired. He has at least a dozen and gets three at a time. He is very upset when they are washed. Zack's best friend in the entire world is Bonnie (ID: 1188423) who he walks with every day in the park.

Forums Motto:
Blanket Lover

The Last Forum I Posted In:

My Honours:

Daily Diary Pick: 29/07/09

  Diary Of The Day: 18/09/10

My Walking Buddy, Bonnie:

I've Been On Dogster Since:
May 16th 2009 More than 7 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
King SimbaTidgeJet (An Angel)

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Blankies Galore, Walks And More...

I am FOUR today!

September 23rd 2011 11:30 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]


Today I turned four and I was thoroughly spoiled by my family. I will post pictures soon because there won't be a big video this year, maybe just a short clip. My presents were not really ones they could give me all in one go and film.

I received three shiny new bells for my walking harness. That characteristic jingling sound tells me it's walk time and lets Mummy hear me when I'm off lead among the trees. Once a while ago, just before Christmas, a 3-year-old girl thought she had heard Santa's sleigh but it was just little old me!

I also got lots of edible treats, hence why I couldn't get them all at once. Mummy picked a big bag of charcoal Bonio biscuits and a bag of my favourite salmon burger biscuits. She also got me a bag of Kelties, a Scottish dog treat to try, but I'm a bit wary of those. They're very seaweedy, but have chicken too.

It goes without saying, I also got a blanket from our favourite mill shop's new Christmas collection. In fact Mummy bought me two and my oldest sister bought me one but two of the blankets will be my Christmas presents so I haven't seen them yet. I got the third blanket, with stars and gingerbread men on today as a birthday present.

Thank you Flicka and family for my heart!



Leaving My Mark At The Vet

September 11th 2011 10:35 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Hi Everyone,

Well Dogster just lost this whole entry so I'm typing it again. Thanks for that! September 23rd will be my 4th birthday which means extra fuss, blankets and toys. But last week I had to go for my annual health check. It was the worst yet. But we know I am healthy and that's what counts.

I was stressed as soon as I got into the waiting area and I saw my favourite nurse Hayley- she looked after me as a puppy just 10 days old- but she was very busy so we didn't really get chance to chat. Then a sick terrier came in. We were both not happy, we growled at each other and my hackles went up.

The vet listened to my heart (racing) and gave me a shot. She was hesitant about getting too close because I was growling a lot and staying very close to Mummy. She said she did not have to check my teeth but Mummy helped by opening my mouth and I got the all clear.

The vet said I was obviously very loyal. And given my distress, plus because I never stay in kennels, Mummy opted out of kennel cough vaccine, the drops up the nose. She did ask if I could be weighed and we got some more bad news.

At 2 years old, I was 21.7kg and at 3, I was 21.4kg. This year I weighed in at a full kilogram heavier than age 2, 22.7kg and the vet would have preferred me at 20kg. My weight is an issue for me (it yo-yo's) but I'm looking and acting fitter and more muscular than last year.

To round off the the visit with a bang, as Mummy was paying, I lifted my leg and let it go, leaving my mark against the side of the counter. We made a quick exit after that! I can't be the only dog on Dogster with a vet story like this, can I?

Lots of love,

Zack XXX


Better Late Than Never- Two Years On Dogster

August 21st 2011 6:00 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Hi Everyone!

My 2nd Dogster-versary was in May but I still haven't posted my round-up for it. Here goes;

June started with Father's Day and Daddy got a card with photos of us all on it, including one of us walking together. He also got a great ornament, with a dog tangling its lead around the postman's legs to trip him up.

Then I heard that I would going to the seaside and spending a week in a caravan. It belonged to a friend of a friend so they were happy for me to go and the resort turned out to be a very dog-friendly one.

During the holiday I walked on the beach, paddled in the sea, I got TWO new blankies, played with my toys and lost a frizbee on the caravan roof (silly Mummy!) and slept on Daddy's bed every night. I had ice cream and doughnuts (!) and chased seagulls. I had a fish for my tea one night, charmed the locals and helped Mummy with the packing by shredding a HUGE piece of cardboard.

I didn't write in July. My sister had a summer school for her university degree in Germany and while there, she lost her bag, so had to replace several things and it was a busy month. Then in August, my brother came home on leave from the Navy and he bought a little car (having passed his driving test at Easter).

We had some good walks and played with my toys. At one point, he tried to use our old garden table to climb up and retrieve my rubber rings and two of the legs fell off! He didn't know it was broken so they were just balanced. Then he drove all the way to the other end of the country back to his base and only lost a hubcap- which fell into the sea!- when he clipped something and it fell off, in the dockyard.

Mummy was peeling oranges while both I and my sister waited. I had my tail wagging, my 'puppy dog eyes' on full and my sister wondered who would get the first orange. "We'll see, Zack" she said. "Who's Mummy's favourite child?" We got half each! Mummy doesn't have favourites.

In September, I learned we would be having a winter holiday as well in December. Mummy booked us a log cabin in the middle of a forest. My sister did a page makeover in preparation for my third birthday and I had my annual health check. I had to have a worming tablet and a shot but the worst was the kennel cough vaccine, which was given as drops up my nose. I was terrified and they put me in a muzzle, which was insulting to my good nature.

There was good news though about my eyes, heart, teeth and fur and my formerly rickety legs (I was born with rickets but cured by a special powder for my puppy milk). The best news was that my weight had dropped from 21.7kg to 21.4kg. It may have gone up again because I tend to yo-yo. But we'll see next month.

I also got three walks that day, one before the vet (so I was not disappointed to see where I was going), one afterwards (to calm me down after the trauma) and one with Daddy that night. And I saw my favourite person at the vet, my nurse Hayley who has known me since I was ten days old.

My sister put the family photo montage on the side of my page to save room in my photobook. And right before my birthday, Dogster made me Diary of the Day!!! It was such a fun day in the spotlight and I made lots of new friends and got a DOTD plaque for my page from my pal Flicka.

On my birthday itself, my sister made a video. I got two new toys (a ball and a bone) and two new blankets. There was also an advert playing here in the UK with a really talented dog. My sister just watched it again and it still makes her smile. It later came 1st in an 'Advert of the Year' countdown that was on TV at Christmas.

In October, I didn't write anything. Then in November, Daddy took me to Blackpool and we walked on the beach in the dark, while Mummy and my sister went to a concert there. It was so dark and spooky, with no lights down on the sand but Blackpool has a big light show on the main street every October, which was very pretty.

On the way home, I surprised the family with my mountaineering skills to climb over the back of the seats to curl up beside my sister, having originally been put into the car in the boot (or trunk, you might say). We were also pulled over by a traffic cop about our fog lights and when we got home, Daddy discovered my mountaineering earlier had messed up my harness, which was loose at one side and hooked around my leg. I slipped out of it as Daddy set off with me up to the house and beat them all to the door!

In November, Mummy started the cats on evening primose oil and a special anti-furball paste. She gave this to me too, not for furballs but because of the fibres from my blankies. I thought it was yummy although the cats were unimpressed. We've not used it recently because Mummy didn't see much difference and it was rather pricey.

Then came December and Christmas! The house was all decorated and lots of yummy food Mummy had ordered arrived packed in dry ice. My brother bought me a special doggy advent calendar in the shape of a Christmas tree with little bones attached to it. The bones and the 'string' attaching them were edible and on Christmas Day, I got to eat the whole tree!

For the first time, we took part in a Secret Santa present swap here on Dogster and I enjoyed shopping for my doggy pal, who I later learned was Sally. We got Sally some doggy candy canes and biscuits, a cuddly dog toy and at her request, donated to a doggy charity in her name. When Sally's parcel arrived (WOW!) she had sent me a blanket, Nyla bone and biscuits. There was also a beautiful candle and a card.

We went on our winter holiday to a log cabin in the forest and it was very snowy. We don't often get proper snow in England but this was gorgeous, white, fluffy snow, perfect for playing in. I had lots of lovely walks and the cabin was beautiful. I was fascinated by the wooden stairs and the galleried landing so they would hear my feet tick-ticking on the wooden floors as they slept.

After we got back from our holiday, the whole family went to a big Christmas quiz and won lots of great prizes, including some yummy goodies for us, because of their encyclopaedic knowledge of Christmas music and love of all things festive. My brother and I also had a slightly scary accident as he drove us home from a walk. He was blinded momentarily by someone who had not dimmed their headlights from full beam, went through a wooden fence and into a field. Luckily, we were not hurt and the guy who owned the field was very understanding so it was all sorted out.

After a hectic December, January was a quiet, sombre month as we said goodbye to my brother for a seven month deployment. I drove down with them too to see him off (right to the other end of the country) and that journey was a nightmare. We had a tyre blow out REALLY LOUD as we were travelling at speed down the motorway. It terrified me but luckily, my Dad managed not to let us crash. The windows also stopped working so we had rain pouring in.

On the good side, I had my Gotcha day. My sister turned 20 and Simba was her 13th birthday present so she wrote a lovely entry about that. She went to a film and brought me popcorn home and Daddy helped me to see my brother and talk to him on Skype. I didn't write until May after that but a few things happened in the meantime.

On Valentine's Day in February, a mysterious parcel arrived for me, with only a gift receipt. It was ordered in my name so we'd all no idea who it was from. Inside was a bag of 100% natural Peanut and Oat dog treats, that looked like big, green pebbles and were delicious. We later learned they were a present from my wonderful brother who still managed to spoil me while away at sea.

Closer to home, Daddy baked currant buns on a day off and made some special extra-tiny ones in minature bun cases that were one bite big, just for me so I didn't feel left out. He also bought me lots of Schmacko chews on his montly trip to stock up at Costco. Mummy happened to be passing a big pet shop so she popped in and found me some Dog Beer, with an authentic glass bottle and label, as you can see on my page. It was the same brown color too and a delicious (non-alcoholic, obviously) blend made of beef extract.

As my second year on Dogster due to a close, I discovered that Dogster now lets us Plus people have 200 photos, rather than 100! It was a relief to find a change I actually liked (still not crazy about the new site), although I've get to get my sister around to filling our extra space. I also told you all about my new friend and walking buddy, Bonnie, featured to the right of my page, who I am still walking with every day.

We are now in August, how time as flown. This is due in part to my sister's three years of hard work and patience paying off. She has finally found a job (also an apprenticeship) in admin with a translation firm that she loves and is working every afternoon and evening during the week. This pattern suits her (she does not DO mornings) but somehow the mornings and weekends always fly by!

She enjoyed a whirlwind week in Germany (and brought me back a gorgeous but HUGELY expensive blanket that she just couldn't refuse). Then my brother came home!!! We hired a bus and all went to go get him. We had lovely weather, a great hotel. The only tricky moment was getting in to the dockyard because of me. I shouldn't really have been there but was allowed to wait inside our bus.

It is great to have Stu home. As my sister finishes this entry finally (it's now the 21st and it has been ongoing in drafts since the 4th), I am just arriving home with Stu and Daddy after a huge walk on the moors.

Lots of love,


See all diary entries for Zachariah Herbert (Zack)