Close X


Puff the wonderful

Cementary and Acupuncture

March 7th 2010 5:16 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Well I had my first acupuncture treatment yesterday and it was quite an adventure.

We left our house at 12:30 and first drove out to the cemetery to visit with daddy's momma. I've never met grandmamma Garnett because she passed on many years before I joined the family but momma said since we were going that way that we would stop so she could introduce me to Grandmamma. Now I should tell you that dogs are not welcome at the cemetery because they really don't want doggy droppings and pee on loved ones final homes but momma said it would be alright because she was going to be carry me the whole time so off we went. When we got to the cemetery momma parked and put me in the dog sling she bought and off we went to see Grandmamma. We were there for a few minutes before a cemetery worked came up to us and told momma that I would have to leave - HUGH? He said that even though I was being carried there was no telling if momma would get tired of holding me and put me down on the ground so I had to leave. Momma said "Goodbye" to Grandmamma and we left.

Our appointment with the acupuncturist wasn't until 3:30 but since momma had never been there before we headed there anyways because momma wanted to make sure we were on time for our appointment. Momma had looked up the driving directions on Map Quest so we got back on the freeway and headed towards downtown Riverside. We had to go from Freeway 215 to 91 and when momma saw 91 she panicked. It was a huge curved overpass that was towered over the freeway. All momma was saying was “OH PUFFY” as she SLOWLY navigated the span of the overpass. You could see areas on the overpass where vehicles had scrapped the sides of it as they had tried to make it across. It actually only took about 1 minute to cross the overpass but momma said afterwards that she didn’t know how we were going to get home because we were NEVER going to go on that overpass again!!!!

Anyhoodle, once we crossed the overpass we came to our exit and after driving many, many blocks we found the office of the acupuncturist. We were early but since momma was still upset over the overpass she decided not to go get us anything for lunch and went directly into the office.

The doctor is a very nice lady and she took us in right away and momma filled out the paperwork and the doctor reviewed my medical records that momma brought for her. Afterwards, sat on the floor with me and got to know me better. She said she could feel I had some tenderness on the middle of my spine, watched me walk and tried to give me a treat but I wouldn’t take it. It was then time for the needle insertion. She first placed a needle right into the top of my head, four into my back and the rest into my hind legs. I stayed calm and did not try to bite her or potty on her floor. She said I was doing so well that she wanted to try to hook up some electrical current to some of the needles to see how I would do so she connected some clamps onto two of the needles that were on my back and slowly introduced current to them. You could see my back flinching but I lay on the floor as calm as could be. In totally the treatment was probably about 30 minutes that included the message I got after the treatment. Let me tell you I was one relaxed dog afterwards. The nice vet told momma a different way to get home so she would not have to go on the 91 overpass and I slept most of the way. Usually in the car I pant the whole way because I don’t know where we are going, but this time I fell asleep and actually snored most of the way home – BOL


Barked by: Ella (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 5:20 am

*hugs* to your momma!!! We used to find the huge interstates and on-ramps here scary too! She'd be gripping the steering wheel so tight her fingers would get numb. :o) We're glad you were able to get home another way!

It sounds like the treatment went really, really well! :o) A doggie massage too?! Are you going back for more treatments, ya think?
Barked by: Puff (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 5:39 am

Marilynn here - thanks for the hug! It was a good thing we did this on a Saturday instead of a busy work day or else I would not have been able to drive as slow as I did over the overpass. I must have gone about 10 miles per hour over that stupid thing. It was so high over the main freeway that I wanted to park the car and have it towed over - LOL

I want to take Puff for more treatments but I am waiting to see if work picks up and if I still have a job. These treatments are not cheap but after seeing how well he did yesterday they are well worth it. I'm going to try to take him at least once a month.
Barked by: Demon Flash Bandit (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 6:04 am

I don't see why a dog can't visit a cemetery. I have visited my human brother and Daddy at the cemetery. It isn't like most of the humans stay there very long anyway. It is a small country cemetery and hardly anyone is ever there, and I am quite sure that sometimes deer and rabbits come there since it is in a rural area.
I'm glad your treatment went well, and I am happy your Mommy found another way home to avoid the overpass. I'm sure some of the overpasses there are scary. I don't think Mommy would want to drive in any of CA's cities.
Barked by: Puff (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 6:41 am

This cemetery is Riverside National and I believe it is for military personnel and their families. They have lots of rules and regulations. As we were leaving there was a party (BBQ, tents, balloons, etc) being held for someone who had just been placed in their final resting place and it was getting kind of rowdy that is how come the security personnel was out and about. Momma has taken Coco there with her before and no one has ever said anything about it. In fact she has never even seen security personnel in all of her visits to the cemetery. During the heat wave we had last summer someone went to visit a love one and had their elderly dog in the car. Because the dog had hip problems the couple chose to leave the dog in the car with the engine running and the air conditioner on. Someone stole the car and dog and when the car was found the dog was dead because they thieves left the dog in the car with the windows rolled up and no air conditioner on. Yesterday we noticed there are all kinds of signs up now telling people not to leave “valuables” in the cars.
Barked by: BUTTERCUP * Moms Angel Girl * (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 7:18 am

PUFF .. it sounds like the treatment was a success.. we have heard that it does make you very relaxed .. maybe mom can find one closer to home so mom doesn't have to travels o far and be nervous ... i fink you should just fly out to Maryland .. we have them everywhere
and good vets.. you could stay wif me ! LOL !! Please keep us posted as to how you feel in the next few days !
Barked by: Abby - Forever Loved (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 7:18 am

I have visited both grandpaws and my uncle at two different cemetaries and was not asked to leave. I was clearly seen by the worker at one cemetary as he offered me a Milkbone which I refused to take.

I hope the treatment does you a lot of good. Mom is looking into acupuncture, water therapy and physio for me. Not sure what she will try yet.

Are you zooming around the house today?
Barked by: Jia (Dogster Member)

March 7th 2010 at 10:25 am

I'm so glad the treatment went well for you puff!! You look really cute in your new picture too!! My mom works today she said she will email your mom monday!!




Family Pets

Coco Rose
Mei-Ling Star
Yi-Tan Jade


(What does RSS do?)