Close X


The ROCKY Story

R.I.P. Rockydoggie.

November 20th 2007 11:05 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Rocky passed away yesterday at a Specialist center/Hospital in Irvine. I wasn't there to say goodbye or hold him but according to Dr Tammy, he was pretty much out of it. His passing was peaceful, swift and... Wherever he is now, I hope this sweet little boy will be happy (as he always was with us) and will be able to SEE his beloved squeaky toys.

Everything happened really fast. A week ago, Wes and I were in NYC when Rocky had his first seizure. On Saturday morning he had his second one, and then about seven or eight more seizures followed this throughout the night into the next morning. The convulsions were violent, there was a lot of frothing at the mouth and after each seizure he was disorientated, restless, had difficulty breathing...

On Sunday (day before yestereday) we took Rocky into an Emergency clinic where he was administered valium and phenobarbital, and put in an oxygen tank with IV tubes. After a while he became stable enough for us to drive him to Dr Tammy (Neurologist) in Orange County for more tests. The Emergency Vet was ready to euthanize him, but we couldn't bring ourselves to do this without finding out if there was hope... We didn't know what was wrong with him.

We didn't know at the time that when we dropped Rocky off in Irvine Sunday night, this would be our final physical moment with him. The boy was all doped up and resting in Wes' arms and still he lifted his little head to give us kisses on our faces before they took him away. He was such a sweet sweet boy.

Yesterday morning, after Rocky's MRI scan, he had another two seizures. He was vomitting a lot of fluid, compulsively walking in circles, bumping into the walls of his cage, falling over a lot, totally disorientated... and then after a while when he stopped breathing and had to be put on a "breathing machine",we all agreed that it was time to say goodbye. The MRI results showed an infection/tumor in his cerebrospinal fluid... this would spread too quickly to be curable.

I feel very lucky to have been foster mom to this sweet, cheerful, playful, loyal, loving, patient blind dog that nobody wanted. He was a joy to take care of and very loved and spoiled rotten by us here and will be remembered forever.

I cannot thank BostonBuddies enough, who supported Wes and I through this weekend's trauma and for having done so much for Rocky. As you all can imagine, the medical bills are sky-high. So if you would like to help out with the treatment that Rocky has received or contribute to the care of other homeless sick Bostons, your donations can be made via the BostonBuddies website and these will be hugely appreciated.

- Lili

P.S. I have uploaded some videos (sorry, theyre kind dark and blurry) to Rocky's Myspace blog, where there are more diary entries which didn't make it over here to his Dogster page. Click on the VIDEOS section to see him playing with his squeaky toy.

You can also see photos of Rocky at Flickr.


Leave a Comment

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
8 + 0 =


ROCKY (1998-2007)


Family Pets



(What does RSS do?)