Close X



Its always something, or in our case...if its not one thing- its two.

May 13th 2014 12:08 pm
[ View A Comments (15) ]

Doo's mom here...last Friday, I came out of my room and found a pool of blood on the tile floor. It was coming from Doo's mouth. I opened her mouth and it looked like one of her molars had fallen out or broken off. She was eating a bully stick right before all this happened. I took her to the vet, got the bleeding stopped and it just looked like the bully stick might have jabbed her right under one of her molars or jabbed the roof of her mouth. While the vet was looking (she was looking on the left hand side and the bleeding was coming from the right hand side of Doo's mouth), the on-call vet saw that a different molar was broken and there was a piece kinda just hanging there and there was pulp exposed. We set up to have the tooth removed tomorrow (Wed). She said to just give her soft food and increase her Tramadol to 3 times/day.

My regular vet called me a bit ago and reminded me that the last time Doo was put under for her teeth cleaning, she had a reaction to the anesthesia, like a seizure. This was WAY before the tumor by her brain stem was found. She was very hesitant to do the tooth pulling there in her office in case something happened and they wouldn't have the means to help Doo. She put a call into a specialty clinic (not where Doo had her surgery and MRI's done) and we're just waiting for the call back.

She said that one thing that we can do is continue on with the soft foods and the pain meds and that the tooth would eventually die, but with it being exposed like it is, it would have a greater chance of becoming infected.

Back when Doo had her dental work done before, we knew 2 of her molars were cracked but the dental vet said they were still "sealed" and no pulp or roots were exposed. We don't know how long this one tooth has been like this. We just found out by accident when the vet looked at the wrong side of her mouth. So I think I'm not going to do anything and just continue on with the soft can foods and the Tramadol and cross the next bridge that the tooth may cause when that time comes.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???? Am I doing the wrong thing? Should I chance it and have the tooth removed and possibly run the big risk of her dying on the table? With the brain tumor any number of things could happen with her and the anesthesia..her brain could swell, she could bleed out from the tumor, etc. etc. etc. Her chances of not making it are greatly increased due to the brain tumor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barked by: Hershey (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 12:19 pm

We are so sorry to see this, Doo. But we think that your Mom is right in giving you soft food.

Since you have not heard from the specialty clinic, Mama said she would wait on that to make a better decision whether or not surgery is the right choice.

We have never been in a predicament where Bosco or I lost teeth.

But we are giving you all healing kisses and paws hugs - you all are in our thoughts. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Love -

Barked by: ♒ ZANE♒ (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 12:42 pm

Oh, sweet Doo and LouAnnie! I am so sorry to hear this!

I think you are doing the right thing, for now. If Doo isn't in pain from the tooth, I wouldn't touch it.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

Barked by: Coco Rose (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 1:46 pm

I honestly don't know what I would do if I had to make this decision. There are some unanswered questions that I would have to consider before I could make the decision:

1 - Is it possible the vet messed up and used too much anesthesia during the last teeth cleaning procedure?

2 - Did the vet verify the anesthesia equipment was calibrated and in working order the last time?

3 - Is it possible to use a different brand of anesthesia on Doo this time?

4 - Cleaning a full mouth of teeth takes longer than pulling two teeth so I would ask the vet if the problem noted last time occurred towards the end of the teeth cleaning or right away.

5 - Should the teeth get infected or cause DOO pain, what would your options for treatment be?

We are sending you lots of hugs and kisses plus the POTP.

Coco Rose, Puffy and mom
Barked by: Abby CGC (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hugs and love to Doo...poor lil sweetie *hugs* I agree about another anesthesia too...look in to all your options. As long as she is not in pain now and eating her soft food.

We will keep you in our prayers to get some answers fast

love and hugs,
Abby and Lucian
Barked by: Walker (Angel Boy) (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 3:27 pm

I agree with Coco Rose and Abby. Trust your heart LouAnn. Many prayers for Doo ♥
Love, Walker & Family
Barked by: Flicka ~ CGC (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 3:32 pm

Its very likely her teeth have deteriorated because of the chemos and meds.. happens all the time to humans.

Its nothing you.. your vet.. or anyone has done wrong.

Yes.. there are other anaethetics.. but its highly likely in her situation that the effects of any.. could be similar.

The teeth can die off.. and be removed quite often with local (my original profession was as a dental technician.. not a dentist.. but still needed to know anatomy and physiology).

Personally.. I would let Doo.. be Doo. Manage the situation as you are.. softer foods.. pain meds.. well she has those anyway... and holistic care. Basically.. take it as it comes. Let her have the peace and comfort she can.

You asked.. just my opinion... and not worth much !

Barked by: Hershey (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 3:56 pm

Mommy answered your mommy on FB, Doo! There is lots of wise advice here, so I just want to add a bunch of licks and wags and hugs and pawrayers! We love you and your mommy furry much!
Barked by: ✨ Whitley ✨ (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 4:47 pm

I don't really have any advice, but wanted to let your know dat we are sending lotsa POTP and big hugs to Doo and you!
Barked by: Ebony Ursula (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 4:54 pm

Oh dear this is awful! Chemo does do terrible things to human bodies so I's can only imagine what it does furs. Since Doo's immune system has been weakened by the chemo, you have to be very careful about any kind of infection setting. We don't know what to advise you but we are here to support you and pray for our sweet Doo.
Barked by: MrJackFreckles~SirLick-a-Lot (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 6:53 pm

Oh, My...

I had to have a tooth out in March...but of course I don't have all those other issues.

I have 3 fractured teeth in there still, vet said to leave well enough alone...

I really have no answers other than I shall say lots of pawyers on your behalf.

(((( ♥ )))))
Barked by: ✨ Finley ✨ (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 7:56 pm

Everybuddy already asked da questions we would ask... just wanted to say we'll keep all y'all in our prayers...Sending loads of POTP!
Barked by: Charlie (Dogster Member)

May 13th 2014 at 8:16 pm

Praying for Doo ((( hugs )))
Barked by: Abby - Forever Loved (Dogster Member)

May 14th 2014 at 7:09 am

Doo, I think if you are not in pain, eating as you should, maybe that tooth should just be monitored. Lots of POTP for you.
Barked by: Peter Parker (Dogster Member)

May 14th 2014 at 9:25 pm

Sending you hugs and prayers Doo!!
Barked by: DIESEL (Dogster Member)

May 16th 2014 at 1:53 pm

Poor Doo! sending hugs and kisses to you I hope everything works out.


Doo - My Sweet Angel


Family Pets

Austin - My
Sweet Angel
DEE (Now
Murphy, living
with a


(What does RSS do?)