Picture of Toby, a male Collie

Photo Comments

Home:Avon, a  
Sex: Male   Weight: 51-100 lbs

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Toby

Registered name was Octoberwolf, but we called him Toby. We sometimes called him Buddy or Fuzzy Guy.

Quick Bio:

He loved being with us, and loved meeting people of any age, shape, or size.

I don't think he had any.

Favorite Toy:
Bones, Nylabones

Favorite Food:

Favorite Walk:

Best Tricks:
You didn't have to speak if you caught his eye; he responded to hand signals.

Arrival Story:
I did something I swore I'd never do; I bought a dog from a mall petshop. My husband, my sister, and I were at a mall, and my husband wanted us to wander off so he could buy something for me. We wandered into the petshop and there was a golden sable and white collie puppy in one of the cages. His front knees were bent forward from having no exercise. The staff put him in my arms and I just couldn't give him back. We took him home with us in April of 1993. He was 4 months old.

He had to have been a puppy mill pup. He had demodectic mange and those legs were bowed in the wrong direction. The mange responded to a series of dips, and regular exercise strengthened his legs and straightened them out. This dog was so smart!! I talk with my hands a lot, so when I trained him, I used my hands unconsciously. I realized fairly quickly that if I could catch his eye, I didn't need to speak to him to have him "sit", "stay", "down", "come", or "release" on my hand signal. This is the only dog I ever knew that would come instantly to me from anywhere, any time. The hand signal for "come" was a beckoning finger... he could be a football field away (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit) and he'd come if I gestured to him. We could walk him anywhere, off a leash, and he'd come right to us if we called him. He was also the sweetest-natured guy... I think he'd have allowed us to skin him and he'd just have licked our hands. He had reverse-tulip ears: both ears curled backward at the tips. In March of 2003, my husband found a large lump under his throat. It had come up almost overnight-- I always greeted Toby by running my hands over his smooth face and nose, while my husband always ran his hand down under Toby's chin. Within 2 days our vet diagnosed Lymphosarcoma. Despite fairly aggressive treatment, Toby deteriorated rapidly. By the middle of April we had to lift his back end to help him stand, as there was a lot of muscle wasting. We built a ramp to help him get on and off the deck when going outside, and I started spoiling him unreservedly. I cooked him steak and hamburger, fed him all that stuff he'd never been allowed to have. On April 24, 2003, he stopped eating. He came in from outside that night and instead of collapsing, he wandered around the house and then came to me. When he finally laid down, I told him he could give up if he wanted to. The next morning, April 25, 2003, he couldn't stand up at all. Our very wonderful vet came to the house and put him to sleep in my arms. He enriched our lives for 10 years, and we will never forget him.

I've Been On Dogster Since:
July 20th 2004 More than 12 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals