Close X


Mia's Memoirs

(Page 12 of 21: Viewing Diary Entry 111 to 120)  
[First 10 Diary Entries] Page Links:  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  [Last 10 Diary Entries]  

Post surgery pupdate

October 27th 2012 8:06 pm
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Sorry for the delay, this is a very slow going recovery. Last night was awful, Mia was uncomfortable ALL night and neither of us got any rest. By morning I was so concerned, I took her back to the ER for an evaluation. They said she is just in a lot of pain but her breathing was fine and her lungs were clear. We went back home and got a bit of rest.

Today she is very lethargic and the feedings in the tube are proving to be quite the obstacle. Because she is feeling so crappy and not doing anything the food isn't moving out of the stomach. When I check before a feeding there is always still too much and therefore I cannot proceed with a new feeding. I am still not sure I am doing it right or not. It has been sink or swim. Cindy, I am going to send a paw mail.

The ER vet did say it would probably take several days for her to become more comfortable so I am hoping with every passing hour and every actual feeding, she will improve. Some coughing has also surfaced this past day. I don't believe it is related to congestive heart failure but to the feeding tube. Honestly, I don't what to believe anymore. I'm on empty, Mia is too. She is hanging in there though.


A new day!

October 28th 2012 8:57 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Today we are starting all over. Mia had her stomach emptied this morning and will start a new medication to help aid in the digestion of her meals. Hopefully this is what she needs to get everything moving in the right direction.

She also slept pretty well last night and it seems she is less painful. The pain medication must finally be working. Thankfully it is an oral that just needs to be put on the cheek or under the tongue.

We need this to work and I am optimistic that it will be. It has to be.

Mia may be lethargic and not well but I swear I faintly heard her say "GO BEARS". Maybe a good football game is just what the doctor ordered. I miss my little cheerleading companion. She needs to get her A game back.


24 hours of success!

October 29th 2012 10:15 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Mia had a successful 24 hours of feeding tube feedings. Hooray! This is such great news and now we increase the amount of food and decrease the frequency to every 6 hours. That means a little more rest for everyone.

While Mia is still pretty lethargic, she is at least resting comfortably. Her respiration rate is actually quite good. With real nutrition going in, now we just hope for her appetite to actually come back. We'll take our successes as they come and give praise that we are seeing them. I'm really hoping in a day or two she will be getting around a bit more and have some energy. I am too old to be sleeping on the floor much longer, LOL.

Thank you for the continued prayers.


Today's pupdate and Happy Halloween

October 31st 2012 7:32 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]

I was a bad girl. Started licking through my shirt and tangled up some fur by my surgical port. Mom had to cut away the tangled fur but the skin below looks like it may be starting to get infected. I have an appointment this afternoon to see the vet tech so she can evaluate it. It shouldn't be too serious, just another bump in the road. I just couldn't help myself.

In the meantime, mom put my winter jacket on over my shirt so I can't do it again. Even if I lick my jacket, it is waterproof so it won't get through. She's a tricky one.

I don't expect this to be a serious problem, just an inconvenience we have to work through. I think everyone knows my name now at the U

Have a Happy Halloween. Boo to you all



Goodbye hair :(

November 1st 2012 10:49 am
[ View A Comments (6) ]

It's going, probably soon.

The hair just keeps interfering with the feeding port. There hasn't been a way to manage both and with needing a shirt on at all times to hold up the feeding tube, the family decided we have to let it go. Apparently I don't have a say. They are going to try and save the head and legs and just clip the torso.

When I was found, I was shaved down but that has been so long ago. I have had long hair quite some time now so it will be different to have to change. I do think it is posing an issue right now so I guess it will have to be that way. I just wish it wasn't going into winter :(

On the plus side, I took one itty bitty bite of chicken today. Hardly a milestone or anything but it was something. I walked away from the rest. The piggy boys ate it all. Mom was happy enough to see me take a nibble though. It is the first solid piece of food I have eaten in about a week. I obviously still don't have an appetite but maybe that is a sign of things to come.



I got pressies today and ice cream

November 2nd 2012 9:51 pm
[ View A Comments (5) ]

Mommy and daddy bought me two new onesies today! They are actually for babies but they are long and cover my body better to secure the feeding tube. They used to be long sleeved but mom cut off the sleeves so it would fit me better. She said it was adorable. They also bought me a toy and some buddy biscuits. Hopefully I will find interest in them soon. I do have to share the biscuits but that really isn't an issue since I'm not totally interested in food at the moment. There is one thing that I ate today though and that was vanilla ice cream. It was super yummy and I ate quite a few bites! Pawrents know it isn't the best food to be eating but I wanted it and really enjoyed it. They have to take what they get. BOL! Also, my last wrap change around my feeding port was dry. The oozing is subsiding and that is great news. Just this morning it was pretty yucky.

November is starting out much better than October!!!

BTW - I did get a hair cut. Mom used a guide to cut it 1 1/2" on the body and chest. She left the legs and head. I at least have a little length and so far no issues with it reaching the port. She did cut the port side hair shorter. It's a bit choppy but it's functional. :)



Elevated respiratory rate

November 4th 2012 7:52 am
[ View A Comments (8) ]

Mia's respiratory rate has over doubled overnight. She was in the normal upper teens to low 20's and currently is in the upper 40's to low 50's.

I'm petrified she may be back in CHF but I am holding on to hope that once she gets her morning lasix in a few minutes that it will lower.

She could certainly use a few prayers. The last couple days have been the best she has had for a few weeks. The port was healing and she was eating a little bit of food. For the life of me I cannot understand why this keeps happening. Every time she gets a bit better, something worse happens.

I'll post a little later if the lasix starts working. If it doesn't we may be taking another trip to the U of M.



Morning pupdate

November 5th 2012 7:25 am
[ View A Comments (7) ]

Yesterday was seriously scary. Mia's respiratory rate bounced around like a ping pong ball. It was changing anywhere from the 30's to the upper 50's. She was given a small amount of extra lasix during both her Sunday medication times. It didn't seem to make much of a difference until today. This morning she woke up with a rate of 24. She had such a rough night though with a rate creeping near 60. At one point she got up and got a drink of water then proceeded to vomit it all up. It was at that point her rate actually started to drop. It could just be coincidence but she seemed more comfortable after that and we both got a little sleep.

I called the cardiology department this morning and spoke with the lead vet tech and she wants me to continue giving her the extra 1/4 tablet of lasix today and call her back this afternoon to let her know if the rate continues to stay steady at it's current rate or if it starts to rise again when she wakes up and moves around a bit. She said such a significant jump usually indicates CHF but she is baffled that Mia's rate is now back to 24 with only a small amount of extra lasix. I'm praying it stays steady at its current rate.


Since Sunday

November 7th 2012 2:58 pm
[ View A Comments (12) ]

What a difference a few days can make!

Sunday was terrible, Mia's rate was really high and she had no appetite.

Monday was a little better. No real appetite but nibbled on a couple things. Rate was 20's - 30's.

Tuesday was better yet. Port looks good and slight appetite.

Today is quite good! Mia just looks better today. Rate is still fluctuating a bit in the 20's - upper 30's but she is bright eyed today. She looks so good today that we even managed to get some more much needed grooming done. The very best part though is the fact we were able to completely skip her 4PM tube feeding because she ate an ENTIRE turkey hot dog. Initially I only cut up half and warmed it up but she actually gobbled it up and looked for more. I then went and cut up the second half and she only ate a bit. I worked more on some grooming and an hour later offered her the rest again and this time she finished it all. It was just eating but she seemed hungry!! Tears welled up. Even when she ate here and there before the feeding tube she didn't seem to enjoy it. Today she seemed to really enjoy eating. Also, with the feeding tube, I think she is starting to gain back at least a tiny bit of weight. She is still frail but doesn't seem quite as frail as a week ago.

We still don't know what happened on Sunday but I think Buttercup was probably right in that pain was causing the high respiratory rate. I think once she threw up she actually felt a bit better since that was when the rate started to go down.

Mia has had a few decent days since this all started on October 1st but I can honestly say that I believe today is her best day yet.


It's been a few days

November 12th 2012 1:02 pm
[ View A Comments (8) ]

Well, it has been a few days since I was last online. Taking care of Mia is like having a newborn baby again. Not getting a lot of sleep these days.

She continues to be doing better every day. There is still the issue with the slightly elevated respiratory rate and the lack of appetite. I'm really glad she tolerated the surgery for the feeding tube because it is her lifeline.

Mia will eat well if and only if I can figure out what she wants for the day. What she eats one day she probably won't eat again any time soon. Lately she is turning her nose up at roast beef and chicken. She is still slightly interested in the turkey hot dogs and the other day she enjoyed some baked pork chops. We try to give her whatever we are having and hope she will eat some. It usually works out pretty good. On days when she does eat fairly well, we can cut back on one of her feeding tube times.

Next Tuesday, the 20th, she goes back to see the cardiologist. This will be the first time they have seen her since sporting the new hairdo. It was necessary and it has made all the difference in the world with her feeding port. No more tangled hair around the tube. Her port looks great now, too.

There are still a few things I wish she would improve on but her overall appearance and attitude are looking great.

  Sort By Newest First

Mia Muah! Kisses from Heaven


Family Pets

Teddy CGC
Tara -Forever
Chester, A
Springer Angel
Bruno -In
loving memory
Angel Yuki
Sandi (heart
The MN Gang
Heaven's Angel
Mei Li
Salad - AKA


(What does RSS do?)