Close X


Harry Barker and the Furever Home

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing Diary Entry 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Tuesday, October 17th

October 17th 2006 11:43 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. 8/10.

My day started as it usually does. When I woke up, my mom was staring at me from her side of the bed. She was looking down at me on my bed and smiling. I must have looked extra cute because she said something to my dad, and he leaned over and looked at me and smiled, too. I think maybe my beard was a little disheveled and my eyebrows were funny from sleeping on my face all night. Anyway, when I stretched a little bit and yawned a LOT, I decided it was time to "clock in" for the day and I started in on my orange rubber bone. I LOVE that thing. Strangely, it seems to follow me everywhere I go. It is almost as if there are a half dozen strewn across the house just for me when I'm in different parts of the house (or even Grandma and Grandpa's house) but that's just silly.

Anyhoo, I went downstairs with mom and she gave me two tiny cookies so something was in my sensitive tummy (I really am stringing her along on that one...cookies for "medicinal purposes", she's so gullible.) I refused to pee in the backyard (holding out for my walk) and mom got dressed. We went out the front door (ooh, my favorite door!) for our walk. I sniffed the newly discovered places. I just turned 1 and now I get why all the dogs sniff and mark...if is sooo much fun! I peed in 27 places before we reached the end of the block. The walk was nice, but we didn't play with any other dogs or puppies or kids, so it wasn't exactly PERFECT, but it was cool.

When we got back, Dad was getting dressed and I talked like a donkey to him (they LOVE that stuff.) Mom fed me my breakfast which was really yummy and then it was time for Dad to leave for work. I was very sad. I hate it when my daddy leaves for work. It means he's not coming back for, like, 8 or 9 hours. That is really a bummer because I totally LOVE my dad. I watched him go down the walkway and then kept my chin up for mom's sake and pretending not to be sad by pouncing on the orange bone. Shortly after, I lost consciousness.

When I woke up, mom was doing that laundry thing, again. She keeps saying she got me from the pound specifically to help with stuff around the house, but I just get out of it by saying, "Hey, no thumbs. Would love to help you out, momsie, but I got no thumbs, okay?" Thankfully, there was a HUGE pile of towels on the floor awaiting cleaning and I dove in and made myself a little nest where I slept for a while longer....hard work being a tornado terrier.

The best part of my day (besides Dad coming home) was going to the park to play ball with my mom. She has this little stick that throws the ball really far and really fast. I LOVE IT! I ran my hairy little stick legs off at the park. I saw a yorkie from afar and was upset that I couldn't run up and say hello. But, I was good (never underestimate the controlling power you have over your humans by being very, very good when they ask you to do something.) I froze when she said stay and I waited until she put the leash on me before I started whining and talking to the yorkie. The yorkie was not impressed and practically ignored me. But, I've met him before. He's more into his looks and not getting tangled than playing, so he's not really my type of guy!

The rest of the afternoon was kind of borning. Lots of phone ringing, laundry and internet checking going on with my mom while I made sure I followed her around in case she dropped food or tried to escape without me.

My dad came home in the evening and I was happy, happy, happy!!!!! I wagged my tail right off and did a little donkey talking to keep them entertained. Dinner was great, and our evening walk was nice. Again, no dogs, so not a 10/10 day.

Around 11, I finally stopped running around like a crazed maniac and did what my mom calls a "face plant" on my bed. Whew, its hard work being cute and hairy.


Home Depot and Coffee Bean

October 18th 2006 3:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today my mom took me to Coffee Bean for breakfast. We both had water and she had a croissant which looked really, really, REALLY good but I biscuits as usual. Sigh.

I was really good, sitting at her feet on the cement outside. We were in the sun, but it was cool and I had my water, so I was okay. I had fun watching all the people walk by. When one guy petted my head, I was soo excited that I made a noise that mom said sounded like a teakettle. Whatever, I had fun.....

Then, we took a little drive and went a wonderful, new place called Home Depot for paint. It was SUCH a big place. So many new smells and sounds. I wasn't too sure about the noise the big forklift made. I tried to climb up some Pergo samples to higher ground, but mom just carried me away from that particular aisle.

The paint guy was cool. He gave me a pat on the head and said I was "cute." There's that word, again.

We got our paint and went to browse the tile section when we were approached by several shrieking women, doing the teakettle thing themselves. Apparently, they've never seen a dog like me before, especially not in Home Depot. So, I had to be good and sit and let them all pet me and tell me how cute I am. Hard work, I tell ya.

Then, in the hardware aisle, I turned a corner and met Zeke, who is seven years old and a brindle boxer/pit mix. I didn't even have time to bark or whine in excitement (much to mom's relief!) He told me he was just rescued by this really nice lady and her man friend from a really bad situation with some really mean people down in Los Angeles. There is a boxer rescue place down there that he was saved by and he's been with his new mom and dad for about two weeks. He was really skinny and you could see all his bones in his back and sides. He said he's doing okay, I think he could tell I was really concerned for him. He said he's getting baked chicken and rice four times a day, and he's gained two pounds since last Thursday, which his new mom and dad think is great. It sure is nice making new friends, and I really wish Zeke a happy life. He was a really friendly, sweet guy, and quite a gentleman. Even when my mom crouched down while she was petting him, he never jumped on her like I would have done. She gave him a biiig hug, so I think she liked him as much as I did. I'd like to be like him when I'm seven. I think I have to work on my manners.....

The best part was that after we went outside again, we took a LONG walk around the whole parking lot, making sure to explore every grassy and planted area. I had soo much fun that I fell faaast asleep on the ride home. Mom said I looked like a little lamb in the back seat......

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.


The Beach, The Beach, The Beach!!!!!

October 20th 2006 8:15 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today was a GREAT day. Not only did I get to spend a whole day with my dad who was home from work, but we all decided that it was such a beautiful day that we just HAD to go to the beach. It was my suggestion, and I have a lot of clout around this place, trust me....

It was so warm and sunny out there at the beach today. There were a lot more people than usual and everyone was in such a great mood. People were laughing and smiling and that just made me extra happy. Even better than that was the number of dogs on the beach, today.

Now, usually, we go to the beach and I run around like a madman through the water and play with my mom and dad. This is the first time EVER in my WHOLE LIFE that I've played with new friends on the beach.

(If you live by the beach, I highly recommend that you get your human/s to take you there at least once a week.)

I met a funny little dog that was a combination between a welsh corgi (yeah, a fellow countryman!) and a border collie. The poor guy had a head that was a regular border collie size and the body of a small corgi. He had kind of a hard time keeping up with me, but we still had fun.

Then, a little further down the beach, we met an Australian Cattle Dog who is only 9 months old (ah, I remember it young, so carefree.....) and so I showed her how to dodge and duck and dive while she chased me. She was so happy to meet me, she gave me her tennis ball! Wow. Mom and Dad made me give it back, though....bummer.

We also met Lulu, a standard poodle and her brother and sister, both australian shepherds. They chased me for almost 15 minutes, during which I managed to impress everyone by being able to outrun all the dogs, despite the fact that they were twice my size. I wasn't even running at my full throttle, flat out speed. I was just teasin' those guys. I also did an impressive move when I was cornered between all the humans and the dogs. I don't know what the big deal is....I mean, all I did was levitate over two dogs' backs from a standing position. Don't these people realize what we terriers are able to do? As I was whizzing by at light speed, turning on a dime, I heard mom say something to dad about, "...ready for agility classes....." I wonder if they take place at the beach!?

I'm also learning to enjoy the water enough to go splashing further out there, though I don't like the breaking waves very much, still. They make noise and I don't like that.

I heard my mom and dad predicting that the next time we go to the beach, I'll be body surfing in on the waves. Not too sure what that means, but if it means FUN, then I'm up for it.

I was sooo happy running on the beach. I had soooo much fun.

So, that's why I was so shocked that mom and dad wanted to ruin it by hosing me off afterward. Don't they know anything about savoring an experience???


Today's word is "Party." Can you say Party?

October 22nd 2006 8:45 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Okay, so I'm young, I'm learning new stuff and my vocabulary is slowly expanding. I have this new word now that I have learned and it all started earlier this month when my grandma (RaRa!) had a birthday party. (Aha! There it is, that word again!) Since my birthday is close to RaRas, we had a joint celebration. I don't think she minded sharing her celebration with me, since I'm just soo cute and irresistable....well, that's what I'd like to think, anyway.

My mom made a birthday cake out of doggie biscuits and treats and Kong Stuff paste which she used to anchor everything and "glue" the treats to each other gingerbread style. (My mom highly recommends this method to any other moms or dads with furbabies out there who want to make a homemade cake.) Getting back to ME, I got to celebrate with RaRa and everyone and watch her open her presents and best of all, I got to eat some of my CAKE (another new word.) My mom says the word for the celebration was P-A-R-T-Y. I like that word. I like what it means. Especially if it means CAKE. Cake is good. Good, good CAKE! Cake made from dog cookies. Yes, yes, yes. Good. CAKE.

But, I digress. The reason I was so excited about the party thing is that, completely without warning, it happened AGAIN (I know, hard to believe) last night at my house. The doorbell kept ringing and some people I know and some people I'd never met before kept coming into my house. I'm pretty sure they were all there to visit and PARTY with me. There was no cake that I could see (CAKE, CAKE!) but several people did feed me carrots from the veggie platter, and that was just as good. I had to work the room with my guests and entertain them, so I tried really hard to make sure I spent ample time with each and every person, making them feel comfortable and giving them something to do, from petting me to throwing the holey roller ball for me, etc. Everyone wanted to be near me, and I was just the BEST party host, EVER!!!! RaRa and RaRa were there and I liked seeing them best of all.

My only gripe was that nobody told me that the party was coming. I mean, if I'd known, I'd have been excited beforehand, too, instead of just during the P-A-R-T-Y.

Party. If you hear that word, be ready for ANYTHING, guys!!!


I'm an angry furball!

October 23rd 2006 1:09 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

And, I'm not going to take it anymore!

Stangers arrived this morning to pave the street I live on. Ha! I know what they're trying to do. They're trying to come in and take all my food and bones and toys and take my mom away from me. That's why I'm protecting the house and everything in it.

Whatever they're using to plot against me smells like tar....nasty! Hmmm.....I think there are at least three of them, plus the large, orange monster they came with.

Mom says not to worry, we'll just play with the Holey Roller inside today until they go away.

But, she doesn't have any idea how much danger we are all in.

Woof, wooof, woof...gotta go. One of the guys is sitting on the curb eating a sandwich. That's the kiss of death.....Must protect my home and family...wooooooooooooowooooowoooooowoooooo.....

Over and out...


Cats, Hairballs and Other Big Problems in My Life

November 5th 2006 8:21 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Well, it has been a while since I've written a diary entry. Mainly this is because I've been very busy these past couple of weeks. Starting with my first close encounter with a C.A.T. since the shelter people tested me for cat attacking skills.....

I was at my grandpa's house, relishing my time playing ball in the backyard and doing general doggie exploration thingies/investigations/reports when I noticed my grandpa went into the house and left the door open! I followed him and completely ignored my mom, becasue, after all, this was new territory and I needed to check it out more than I needed to listen to my mom!

So, I go into the kitchen type thing following granddad and I turn around the corner and there's one of those cat thingies. I was shocked. I wanted to say something, anything, but nothing, not a squeak, would come out (unusual for me.) I just stared at that weird looking creature for a long time. I think it was just as startled to see me as I was to see it. It advanced, sniffing the air around my muzzle. I didn't have any idea what to do, so I figured I'd play with the thing. After all, playing is what I do best. I think I came on a little strong. I mean, I lunged forward in a play like fashion and put my pushy little paws out to entice the thing to chase me around the house, but it took off running. I followed and at one point, it stopped, looked back and seemed like it wanted to play with me, but then it took off again and I never saw it again. Late at night, I sometimes sit up in my bed wondering what it was doing there, and what it was thinking. Was it as interested in playing as I was, but afraid? Was there some code I should have followed?

Anyway, a few days later, I coughed up a hairball. Now, my mom seems to think it was because I was licking my arm all day long, but I talked to some of the older guys at the park and they just laughed and said I caught it from the cat.

My other concern lately is car door beeps. You know that obnoxious sound that people make when their car closes up for the night. Well, I've just started noticing these and I DO NOT want those beepy noises to come and eat my family and take my food and toys away from me, so I bark as loud as I can when I hear them......My family is so lucky they have me to protect them.


I Puked.

November 9th 2006 1:02 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today, I puked. Threw up. Vomited. Hurled. Tossed my cookies. My mom says it is all the same thing. I do this frequently, though my pediatrician says I'm okay.

Thing is, I HATE it when this happens. Especially if I am in the house. I feel soooo bad about puking in the house. I try so hard to get outside to do it, but sometimes I don't make it to the back door on time and it just comes out (you guys know what I mean.)

To me, it is just like doing my business in the house and I just HATE it. My mom tells me it is okay and I'm GOOD and not bad at all, and she pets me and tells me how sweet I am and how she knows I feel bad. But, I can't help it. I roll over on my back with my tail between my legs and shake. I guess there's no reason for me to do this since mommy never gets mad at me or raises her voice. Maybe it was something that happened before I came to my forever home that I just can't remember.....

Anyway, puking is not such a good thing.

But, to make up for it, my mommy took me to the coffee place today and we just sat outside. We didn't order anything, we just sat and watched people go by. I was still upset and nervous, but then I had a few admirers come to say hello. I did my cute puppy act for them, complete with my puppy talk that sounds like I am a donkey, and sitting on my haunches with my little fuzzy arms in the air, waving and pawing like crazy. Pretty soon, I'd almost forgotten the whole horrible incident. And, best of all, I managed to meet all these new people and not puke on a SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Then, we came home and mom made me breakfast, which I scarfed down and, again, I didn't barf.

Yipee. My day is going great, again. If I could only keep my eyes open....zzzzzzzz........


Of Mice and Airedales.....

November 20th 2006 1:30 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Let me apologize for what is basically going to be a rant and not a diary entry, today. First off, I'm kinda in a grumpy mood because my best friend Bentley pushed me into a mud puddle.

Well, I wasn't exactly pushed. It was more like a launching.

See, I was playing with Bent and a couple of other guys we'd just met at the doggie park, last week. I was deep in thought (which is better...chicken or turkey?) and he ran up behind me and did a huge body slam on my backside. I was launched in the air, legs akimbo, before I even knew what hit me. Mom says I was at least up 3 feet in the air at my highest point. Then, I landed (face first) in a mud puddle. Now, the thing that gets my mom about this is that it is about 78 degrees here in California right now and there's not a mud puddle to be found......except, I guess, when you're catapulted into one by a goofball canine.

After I picked myself up out of the mud with a little help from mom, I immediately focused in on Bentley and ran over using his side as a springboard while howling all the doggie curse words I have learned so far at the park. I left some big muddy pawprints on his side, but I didn't succeed in knocking him into next week.

Then, for some reason known only to her, mom took me straight home. She mumbled something about not passing go, and not collecting my $200. I could have bought a lot of treats with $200. Too bad.

But, not as bad as what was awaiting me when we got home. Yes, my friends, my horrible ogre of a mom gave me a B.A.T.H. Playing in the mud is all fun and games until someone gets cleaned. I tried giving her the helpless eyes, which didn't work. Then, I tried climbing to the highest, driest ground there was, but she didn't appreciate wearing me as a hat. Luckily, it was a short bath just to get rid of the mud. Shudder.

On to my next rant.....why on earth do so many people think I am an Airedale? I mean, people, look at me!!! I'm 28lbs soaking wet. (Ack! WET! *Shudder* I just had a B.A.T.H. flashback.)

I also don't have particularly curly hair due to whatever it is my biological mom and dad were.

But, for some reason, people insist on asking my mom and dad if I'm an Airedale. Now, don't get me wrong. Even the folks at the shelter told my mom and dad I was going to grow up big and be an Airedale (shhhyeah, right!) so I can see how even people in the know could be fooled by my big dog 'tude and my great looks. But, come on! I'm about 1/4 of the size of an Airedale. This leads me to my next gripe....

I'm at the pet supply store the other day with mom and this man comes up to say hello and says, "I didn't know they were breeding Airedales with mice...." as he leans down to pet me.

Dude, that's just not cool. I have ears (big ones!) and I heard what you said. No way am I a mouse. I'm all dog, Mister.

My mom always patiently explains that I'm most likely a Welsh Terrier mix. She says, "....That's the one that looks like a miniature Airedale, so it makes sense that he looks like one to you." I wish I could remember what my mom and dad were, but when a guy can't remember what happened to him two hours ago, then there's not much hope for his long term memory.

The other thing that kinda bugs me is that sooo many people think that it is "amazing" or "unbelievable" that I came from the local shelter. As if there aren't millions of us great finds in shelters all over the country, every day of the week, waitin' for someone to come scoop us up and live in a fur-ever home.

People, don't go buyin' one of them designer dogs. At least not before you go to the shelter first and see the best dogs around....the mutts! You may have to go once or twice before you find your best friend, but I'm tellin' ya, you'll find him. Or, her, if she happens to be a grrrrrrl.



December 4th 2006 3:14 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

So, nobody told me about this whole Thanksgiving thing until the actual day. I kept on hearing everyone talking about it, but nobody actually told ME anything about it until that Thursday. THAT WONDERFUL THURSDAY.

I am sooo thankful. I'm thankful to be thankful for Thanksgiving. That's my new motto. I wonder when it will be happening again? Next week? Hope so!

Well, my day started with an early morning trip the beach. THE BEACH. THANKSGIVING. YAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!! So, at the beach, there was a Rhodesian Ridgeback named Bodi that I played with for almost 45 minutes. We chased each other (he never caught me 'cause I'm TOO DARN FAST!) and we ducked and dove in and out of the waves. THE BEACH! YAHHHHOOOOOOOO! Thanksgiving. Great. Thanks.....

Anyway, yeah, so we get back home and all this cooking and cleaning and stuff was going on in the kitchen. I was completely occupied with making sure I knew what was going on that I never once got a nap. Then, without warning....A BATH. Ick. Not so thankful. I was keeping that sand for a project, mom!

Back to my, my dad took me to the park around midday to play with Bentley. BENTLEY!!!!! Yeah, yeah. Thankful for Bentley. Thanksgiving. FUN.Thanks......we played for ages! Then, back home to mom who was still in the kitchen. Such sweet smells were coming from the oven and the fridge. My mom gave me a piece of carrot and my eyes almost bugged out of my head (well, that's what she says, I don't remember anything but how great that carrot tasted!) Does everything taste so much better on Thanksgiving????

Later on, the family came around (arroooooooo!!!!) and that was the BEST part! We were all together. And, eating! I got turkey, celery and a piece of potato in my bowl. And, that was AFTER my regular dinner. I was stuffed, but happy.

Thanksgiving. Giving Thanks. Thanks. Food. Good food. Thanks. So, does anyone know when the next one is??? Anyone????


Merry KISSMAS???

December 24th 2006 8:20 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Okay, so I keep hearing all this stuff about Kissmas. What is that? Does anyone know? I am thinking it is a day where I get more kisses than I usually get. Just as long as mom doesn't do it in front of the guys. (Aaaaawww, mom!)

People make such a big deal about Kissmas, so it MUST Be good. Mom has put up lights around the house and there are so many wrapped up things for me to smell that I think I'm gonna lose my mind!

Last week, we had Hannukah. Wow, that took me a long time to learn how to spell. My mom says not to worry, most grown up humans can't decide how to spell Hannukah/Channukah/Hanukah/Chanuka/Cha....

Regardless, Hannukah is now officially my favorite holiday. Not only did I get to visit and see my RaRas (grandma and grandpa!) almost every night, but I got PRESENTS every night. My RaRas got me a little blue bouncy ball that has a jingle bell in there, somehwere. It is my new best friend and last night, I got up to bring it into my bed so I could be closer to it! When I woke up this morning, it had rolled away a little bit, but I was still happy to see it!

Kissmas must be great. I can't wait. I can't wait! I CAN'T WAIT! More presents!! More RaRas, more PLAYING. And, as you probably know by now, that is my middle name...

Merry Kissmas, every ONE.

  Sort By Newest First



Family Pets



(What does RSS do?)