Favorite Food: Solid Gold (Wolf King), the green Solid Gold canned food and Nature's Balance sausage all mixed together
Favorite Walk: dog park with her friends
Best Tricks: Sit, Stay, wave, give me 5, give me 10, sit-up, roll-over, say prayer, put 'em up...Bang! (she puts her paws up, then plays dead), fetch, Frisbee, flyball
Arrival Story: I met Cotton for the first time when she was 4 weeks old, then again at 6 weeks. I just didn't know she was going to be mine until she was 9 weeks old. I went to get her on November 2nd and she has been my baby girl ever since. I can't imagine not having her in my life. Cotton has taken over my life and heart. She goes to work with me most of the time. When we are not at work, we are playing and/or training together.
Mom bought a new book. It has 101 dog tricks and she says she is going to teach them all to me and Abby. I already knew several of them and some of the steps to build up to a few more. We are going to try to use this diary entry to update all the new tricks that I have learned.
I already knew...
5. Shake although we are going to start to do left and right
8. Balance and Catch- we started that a while back but I really didn't like it and I refused to catch. Mom is challenging me a bit more. Now that I know the trick, it I don't catch it, she takes it but if I catch it, I get another treat free. I'm starting to like this one now.
9. Sit Pretty/Beg- I didn't have a hand cue but I pretty much learned it tonight.
12. Play Dead
13. Fetch my slippers- I have always been a bit afraid that may translate to eat my slippers while I'm gone. But a few weeks ago, we started working on fetching their Kongs for dinner.
14. Get your leash- I said that half jokingly at a flyball tournament one time and she really did it. I was kind of stunned. She knows what get it means and was able to put it together. I may have to put her leash on a lower hook and see if she can do it when it is time to go somewhere.
15. Get the newspaper- she can get the newspaper but she isn't tall enough to get the mail as in the book. I think we are good with just getting the paper from the driveway.
16. Say your prayers- she will do it on my arm but I hadn't thought to teach her to do it on a chair or side of the bed. I also need to teach it to a hand cue.
17. Kennel up
18. Tidy up your toys- Cotton can do this but we could use some fine tuning the drop. She wants to play with each toy rather than putting them in the toybox.
19. Honk a bike horn- mom asked me to do it a few weeks ago and I did it- we'll add it to the list...
20. Doggie push-ups, need to get better and connect it to a hand cue.
21. Turn off/on the lights- we started this months ago but kind of dropped it.
Tonight I learned...
22. Find my keys- I lose them so often I started teaching this months ago. We'll add it to the list to fine tune.
23. Jump into my arms.
25. Crawl- need to connect to a cue and get the butt down.
26. Touch a target.
27. Take a bow. needs work and connect to a cue.
29. Wave- only waves at me. Need to work on waving in other directions- at others.
1. Roll into a blanket (Night-night). I was surprised how quickly she got this one. I just need to learn to connect it to the hand cue now.
2. Peekaboo- it is too simple, I can't quite believe that is it plus I don't like to be behind mom. Also need to connect it to the hand cue.
3. Leg Weaves. Pretty good.
4. Massage (not in book, she paws at my back while I type so I thought we may turn it into something useful).
Tomorrow we may work on:
1. Roll into a blanket- connect the hand cue.
2. Leg weaves- less reliant on lures, more on hand cues.
3. Balance and catch
So far, this is fun and I'm getting lots of treats. I'm probably getting less dinner tomorrow. :( Now that I have written this, I realize that Cotton knows a little about a lot of tricks but very few are absolutely perfected. It will be fun to work on connecting these to hand cues and perfecting them. We would love suggestions on new tricks too.
Something didn't go right with my chiro visit on Tuesday so I had to go back again on Friday night. Mom saw me doing bunny hops so she immediately called to see what needed to be done. We were told to go back ASAP. Mom is starting to lose her faith in him. Mom has already lost her faith in vets. We are not sure what else to do.
Ugh! I had to go to the chiropractor again last night. This is our 5th visit, I think, maybe more. I am getting better and better but I still don't like the guy. He comes out to see me and I tuck my tail and give him a dirty look. But after he pops me into place, I walk down the hall very happy and sometimes I even get the zoomies. I finally got to start playing flyball again. I did my first practice on Sat. It felt so good to bark and run with my team. I sure have missed flyball. Mom says I feel a bit slower but there is no timer so it could just be her imagination- I hope anyway. I definitely didn't forget how to play though. Mom didn't let me do much although she says I got to play more than she had planned to let me play. I can hardly wait, I'll show mom I'm as good as new.
My friend had to have surgery on Monday. He ate something he wasn't supposed to eat. When they did the first x-ray, they thought it was one thing but they did a second x-ray right before surgery and could tell it was two things. But during the surgery, they actually found 6 things in his stomach. They were each about the size of a quarter and red, blue, and cream striped. No one knows what it was. The vet tech's guess is that it may have been a little ball. He has 20 staples and a gigantic lampshade on his head. He wants the lampshade gone. He is a bit of a wild child so his mom has to be with him 24/7 so he doesn't hurt himself. This is going to be a very long two or three weeks (depending on how quickly he heals). I hope he heals quickly and gets to come back to flyball really soon.