" A DAY IN TOBY'S LIFE"

Keep us safe during the Holidays

November 30th 2006 9:40 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Dog Safety Tips For Christmas & The Holidays

Every year around this time we begin to see and hear of dogs and other animals being injured, poisoned or even dieing due to what should be happy holidays. Below is a small list of things you can do to help prevent injuries from happening during the holidays.

The Tree

If you have a live Christmas tree, keep the water stand covered. Pine sap mixed with water makes a poisonous drink for your pet. The smell of a live or artificial tree may cause your pet to urine-mark it. It may help to bring the tree into an isolated indoor room for a day or two, so that it smells more like "home."

Also be sure to fasten your tree securely to a stationary object such as your wall by using twine or high fishing line and dry wall hooks to keep the tree from falling on your pet. Not only can a fallen tree cause injuries such as c-spine, ligament or eye damage but a trapped pet may panic and if home alone may even be strangled by the lights while attempting to get free.

Decorations

Along with the tree you'll obviously have bulbs and other things hanging from it, keep these out of reach of your pet, many a dog has been known to bite into a glass ornament, christmas light or metal hook used for hanging ornaments. Keep tinsel off of the floor and away from your pet, dog as well as cats find tinsel sometimes too tempting and will eat the tinsel. Tinsel can wrap itself tightly around the intestines and taking Spot to the clinic for emergency surgery Christmas morning will not be a highlight of your holiday.

Plants

Many of us love to decorate our coffee tables and other spots with lovely plants over the holidays Poinsettias, Mistletoe Berries, and other popular holiday flowers can cause serious stomach problems and some may even cause death. Be sure to keep your plants out of your pets reach!

Holiday Treats

We all love to eat during the holidays don't we! Well, so does your pet but unfortunatly many of our favorite holiday treats and dishes can not only make our pets ill but can also have life threatening effects. Be sure to remove all edible gifts from under your tree as well as keep all your holiday goodies safely away from your pet. Chocolate, onions, raisins, and alcohol can be fatal to dogs!

Candles and Your Pet

This is something that goes for all year round but I know at Christmas especially I always have a few candles lit around the house. Candles should be kept up high, never assume since your dog is well behaved and doesn't go paws up on your coffee or end table that your candle is safe.....one quick swish of a tail in the wrong direction could not only knock over your candle but burn your pet severely.


Wishing you and yours SAFE and happy holidays!

 
 

Leave a Comment


Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required


Anti-spam Challenge:
2 + 7 =

 

*TOBY*


 

Family Pets

Ayla

Subscribe

(What does RSS do?)