West Highland White Terrier
Picture of Woodie, a male West Highland White Terrier

Photo Comments

Home:Falls Church, a  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 11-25 lbs

My Videos [See My Video Book]

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a bone for Woodie

The Little General, Woodie-Man, Woodie-Woo, Woodrow

Doggie Dynamics:
not playfulvery playful

Quick Bio:

April 14th 1993

Food, chasing Squirrels, Food, Wading in creeks and ponds, food, getting Belly Rubs, meeting new dogs. . . oh and did I mention Food!

Not sharing your table scraps with him and vacuum cleaners

Favorite Toy:
His daddy's hand and any stuffed toy laying around

Favorite Food:
Anything that drops on the kitchen floor and Frosy Paws!

Favorite Walk:
Anywhere, as long as its short and slow

Arrival Story:
Woodie joined the family when he was 8 weeks old. For the first week he lived with me he lived 'illegally' in my apartment as I was moving into a townhouse. He was a little bugger and for the first year of his life he thought "Come" meant run as fast as I can the other way. He also loved to go on these power-surges where he would run as fast as he could around the kitchen table. He also had a bit of a 'shocking' experience with the vacuum cleaner. He assumed the cord was just something else he could chew. Needless to say it was plugged in when he decided to chew on it, hence his dislike to this day of vacuum cleaners.

When Woodie was a puppy he had a room all to himself in the basement. I sometimes wondered what he did during the day in his room. Then one day I came home and found about 5 recycled soda cans strewn about the room. (the recycle bin was on the other side of the basement). Apparently he had a little escape hatch and was able to go to another section of basement and had a grand time dragging the soda cans back into his room. I guess his thought was as long as he was in the room when I got home I'd never notice! Kelsey was Woodie's 1st year birthday gift. He was so much calmer after we got her, but he probably still questions to this day why she joined the family! Little Kel did nothing but torment poor Woodie her whole life. She wasn't more than 9 weeks old and Woodie would be resting peacefully. Kelsey would sneak up on him like a cat and bark as absolutely as loud and at the highest pitch she could to get him to jump up. No wonder the poor ole guy has a heart murmur! On May 21, 2006 we took him to Westie Rescue fun day. While putting him in one of the games I found a small lump on the side of his neck. The next day I took him to the vet and by the end of the week it had been confirmed he had Lymphoma. We tried two forms of IV chemo treatment and both made him deathly ill. We kept him on protocol of Prednisone and Cytoxin over the summer and he went into remission. The lumps came back full force by mid-September. On the evening of October 4th his breathing became labored and he was very uncomfortable - and for the first time in his life he wouldn't eat. He did take a Frosty Paws from me, so I thought there was hope, but as the evening went on he got worse. We left him downstairs in his bed that night. I really thought we we woke the next morning we would find him dead. But I woke up to him at the foot of our bed curled up next to Skyler, which made me happy to think his last night was spent with us, snuggled with the brother he loved - Skyler. The next day we took him to the vet and the cancer had basically spread through Woodie's body. We had the choice of drugging him up and maybe he would last a few more days at best or letting him go. It was his time to join Kelsey at the Bridge. We are at a loss without him and our hearts are broken for the second time in a little over a year. Our Little General - May you be exploring until your heart's content until we meet again.

Forums Motto:
It's All About ME!

The Groups I'm In:
2 Dogs 2, Westies Unite

The Last Forum I Posted In:
Saturday Oct. 21 - Ichy's Skin Sister's Wedding

Woodie Time - EST:

Tribute to Woodie-By his best bud Billy:


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Woodie & Kelsey:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've Been On Dogster Since:
August 9th 2005 More than 11 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Dogster Id:

Meet my family
Skyler 1996 -

Meet my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals
See all my Pup Pals

Holidays are FUN

I've Been Tagged!

May 24th 2007 6:02 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

I've been tagged by Cyric!

The Rules: Dogs who are tagged need to write down in there own diary 7 random facts about themselves and these rules! Then you need to choose 7 dogs to tag and list there names in your diary, too. Don't forget to leave these tagged dogs a note that they have been tagged and need to read your dairy to check the rules!

Here are 7 things you may or may not know about me

1. I was born in Maryland
2. My nickname was the "Little General"
3. My favorite thing to do everyday was walk the perimeter of the yard making sure it was safe from vermin.
4. I was the official Barktender on Westies Unite and FatBoy's
5. As a puppy I would go on power surges about 15 times a day around the dining room table
6. I loved to visit my Grammy & Bob in Johnstown, PA
7. I would do anything for a cookie

The pups I will tag are:

1. Evo
2. Amelia Rose Airheart
3. Micki
4. Sambuca
5. Holly Pocomoke Sassafras
6. Kit Kat
7. Collie Capers Biscuit


One Last Round . . .

October 6th 2006 2:20 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

It is with a heavy heart that I must add to the sadness today, but I have joined my sister Kelsey and brother Conrad at Rainbow Bridge.

In the last 24 hours my health declined at an alarming rate and the cancer rapidly took over my body and thankfully my mom and dad did the unselfish act of letting me go, as painful as it was for them.

I wish to have a fairwell round before I go. It has been an honor to be your Barkmaster General and I promise to visit you regularly. (And YES - I fully expect Furby, Benny & hopefully Cooper at my house next Thursday - if not I will come back and bite you in the butt !AND the 2007 Westies Unite Calendar will be the best ever!)

So . . .Raise those glasses and have a drink to ME!

The friends I made here will be my friends forever
I wish you all a long life with many pleasures
Think back fondly on all the fun times we've had
And all my crazy antics when you are sad
We will meet again one day at the bridge my friends
And with me there the pawtees will never end
So a toast to me and my wonderful life of 13 years
And a toast to all of you, my wonderful dears

ARRRROOOOOO -- And Cheers to Every Single One Of You

Love & Kisses


Something I need to tell you guys . . .

October 3rd 2006 7:15 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

My dear friends . . .
I need to share something bad with you regarding my health. Back in May on the day I went to the Westie Rescue Games with Matilda, Mom was getting me in the line-up to chase the fox tail when she felt a small lump on my neck. The next day we went to see Vetman to see what it was. By that weekend (Memorial Day), tests had confirmed I was in the very early stages of Lymphoma.

Vetman was amazed at how early Mom caught the bumps. He said most people don't even notice them until they are huge, but then again since Mom & Dad are so diligent with our health it didn't surprise him. We went to Kelsey's oncologistfor a second opinion on treatment and opted to let Vetman take care of me.

I had my first IV chemo treatment on Mom's birthday (early June). If you remember, that was the weekend of the wedding party. I became very, very ill. We tried another IV chemo treatment the weekend Attie was visiting (July 4th) and l almost died from that injection. After I recovered Mom remained optimistic because I could handle the chemo tablets (Cytoxin) and Predisone. I've been on that since July. Low and behold the lumps almost disappeared, Vetman felt I was in remssion and I've been active and happy since then.

About two weeks ago (when Rook was sick), Mom felt my neck and the lump was the size of a grape. Off to Vetman we went and he gave me some anti-biotics. They seemed to work as the lump went down to the size of small marble.

Unfortunately though, since then the lumps on both sides of my neck and hind quarters are getting larger. I am now out of remission. The vet is going to check into another chemo drug, but he is cautious since I couldn't handle the mildest IV drugs early on. And Mom doesn't want to put me through what I went through before. My quality of life is far too important to her versus quantity of life.

On Friday we have increased my Prednisone to once a day instead of every other day, and as you can tell from my daily antics, I'm feeling really GOOD! I am still eating like a champ and yesterday I led the way in the backyard squirrel chase. I have some slow days too, but then again I am almost 95 in human years! : )

The vet cautioned her when it comes back, it moves very fast. We were hopeful and still are, but we hoped the remission would last longer than this, so we didn't want to upset anyone, but you are our family and we felt we couldn't keep this from you any longer.

I am still the same ole Woodie - your Barkmaster General/Obi-Wan Woodie
. . so let's enjoy and celebrate life to the fullest and have fun every day. I'm a fighter and I know Mom needs me, so I'm going to hang in there as long as I can for her.

Drinks anyone? ARRRROOOOO - Cheers to all of you.

See all diary entries for Woodie