Close X


Living with incontinence, Buddy's story

(Page 7 of 9: Viewing Diary Entry 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 -Test results

July 16th 2013 1:20 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

From the surgeon, "Buddy's urine culture came back negative."

I was not sure if it was a urinalysis or a culture but this clarifies it. As long as the bleeding continues to be non existent, I think we can safely start to go to the next step. I have replied to our surgeon and asked what he recommends we do next. Since the bleeding is gone, we may want to try the c-DES along with the Pronin for about a week to see if the combination works that he had mentioned at our last visit. The problem if it does work is that he would be on it for life. I am still focused on the holistic approach but I will wait to see what he says.

Sorry, still no great news on a resolution but on the bright side.... Buddy is a healthy boy!!


Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16th 2013 5:12 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Yesterday, when I got the daily report from our sitter, Buddy had a tiny bit of blood (no clots or tissue) in one of his Tinklebelt during the day. It was no where near anything we had been seening before. Then last night I changed him at 12:20 am, 4:15 am and 5 am, there were no signs of blood even though the belts were full. So blessed. Still praying that it was "cleaned" out. We should hopefully be hearing from our surgeon today regarding the results of the urinalysis. I am hoping that the borage oil that we have been giving him coupled with the vitamin E has helped because it is an anti inflammatory that helps with skin irritations. Maybe it is helping him internally too. Ok, I am reaching here but when nothing is certain, reaching is all I can do.

In other news, I am still not sure why the dogs all decide to sleep on top of me at night. It's a big bed but they all seemed to nestle together on my side. My back is paying the price for being contorted in odd positions trying to get comfortable around them. I think this is a losing battle and I should just face it that our babies are spoiled and I will never have my half of the bed to myself again. Last night I woke up to Tooten with his head in the middle of my pillow like he was right where he belongs. Too cute. Buddy fits in perfectly; he now curls up in a little ball snuggled up close to me, his daddy or one of his brothers. They are all too cute!

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Monday, july 15, 2013

July 15th 2013 6:03 am
[ Leave A Comment | 4 people already have ]

Once again, there has been no sign of blood in Buddy's Tinklebelt. I am trying to be very optimistic about it but and I hope that a comment from our friend here at Dogster is correct that the testing may have, "cleaned out" the problem." That would be such a blessing! I am waiting patiently today to hear back from the our surgeon today or tomorrow regarding the results of the urinalysis. Our next step would be to try the holistic approach to the incontinence issue.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 14th 2013 6:09 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Strangest thing last night, both changings at 12:45 am and 4:15 am there were no signs of blood at all in Buddy's Tinklebelt. This is one of the first times sice we got Buddy that this has happened since we got him exactly a month ago today. I don't know but it seems that things like this happen to us a lot but maybe this will turn around soon and we can actually begin to help Buddy instead of doing all these tests that end up no where. We are fortunate about one thing with all of these tests, we have a very happy, healthy dog in our lives; we have been blessed.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Friday, July 12, 2013 Test Results

July 12th 2013 4:11 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 7 people already have ]

We arrived at the vet's office at 11am where we sat with the surgeon for about 45 minutes to discuss the procedure that they were about to perform. He said that they would put him under anesthesia, monitor him and they inject the contrast fluid by I.v. At 1pm, they would then proceed with the ct (CAT) scan. The ct scan viewed the entire abdomen section so if something was wrong, atomically, he would find it. If he found something and did not need to do the cystoscopy (scope) they would not. We left our sweet Buddy is his care and allowed them to get started. About an hour later our doctor told us that they found one abnormality in his urethra which may be the reason that Buddy is incontinent, and that everything else looked fine. he abnormality was that the urethra looked enlarged or swollen. He recommended that we proceed with the scope since the abnormality may be the reasoning behind the dripping but not the bleeding. Since he was already under anesthesia, we should proceed with the scope to see what his tract looked like from the inside from his pee pee, through the urethra to the bladder. Maybe we could find some bleeding or the site where the tissue was coming out. We agreed.

When that procedure was complete we all sat down and discussed the findings, where we stand and how to proceed. The scope went up the urethra where there was nothing then it came to a small section of bleeding but nothing really that could have caused the clots and the tissue that was flowing out of him. Then they moved up without any problems to the bladder where they saw no signs of anything abnormal. He found the approximate location where the initial surgery took place but apparently, all was healed so, that all looked good so no real findings with the scope. The surgery for the hydraulic urethral occluder was now back on the table as a potential fix but without any findings on where the bleeding was coming from we could not go that route quite yet.

To recap: the blood work all came back completely normal, the urinalysis and the culture came back normal with no signs of anything not even blood in the urine, infections or anything else and the ultrasound all looked good. Everything from the kidneys, through the bladder down to the beginning of the urethra all seem normal. Then we have the ct scan had a finding where the urethra had an enlarged size which could be where urine may be pooling. With that pooling in mind and we are going blindly now, could be that the walls of the urethra that are so irritated that pieces of the tissue are being excreted. That could lead to clots of blood that we are seeing as well as the tinge of red in the urine, the drips of red blood and the pieces of tissue. Since the clotting and tissue excretion has gotten significantly worse in the past few weeks, we decided to get another urinalysis to see if we can find any new signs of an infection since it was not as prominent the first time that we had it done a few weeks ago.

We are at a point where this case is so rare and unusual that there do not seem to be any other alternative tests to do to figure this out. Our surgeon has recommended that we wait for the results of the urinalysis to come back and hope that the results will find an infection that we can treat with antibiotics. He is going to discuss this with his colleagues and hopefully with all of the intelligent minds working on Buddy's case we can find a solution to make Buddy more comfortable and stop this bleeding. Once we can fix the bleeding problem, we can proceed with the option of the surgery for the occluder. We are still praying for a miracle. This sweet boy deserves the world, he should at least be comfortable in it and we will do our best to make that happen.

We still have the holistic approach available to us regarding the incontinence as an alternative to surgery but it's the bleeding that we cannot cure holistically and we know that. Ultimately, we want what is best for Buddy.

We just got home a short while ago and Buddy is still slightly out of sorts. I cannot believe that waking up after this procedure was cmfortable so we are monitoring him and making him as comfy as we can. It was initially hard to keep Cooper off of him but after awhile, I thi that Cooper understood that his brother was not feeling up to playing today so he has given him a break. I wish we had better news today but it wasn't terrible either so we will just keep trying and will not give up until our Buddy is better.

We will wait to hear from our surgeon on Monday or Tuesday this week for the results of the urinalysis and see how we are going to proceed.

Thanks for all your support and prayers, they have meant so much to us and to Buddy.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Friday, July 12, 2013

July 12th 2013 4:03 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Well, today is the day. The hardest thing before we get there is going to feed the pack and exclude Buddy. He has to fast before the Ct scan so, considering they are all already eager to eat and we still have two and a half hours before we have to go, it's going to be tough. The boys are as rowdy as ever and it's pouring rain out again today. The backyard looks like a swimming pool and they all refuse to go outside except for my little angel Rusty, such a good girl.

Last night we went to bed at 9:30pm. I got up at 11:30 to change Buddy because I felt he was wet, there was the largest piece of tissue that came out that I have seen as of yet and there was a lot of blood. I put the tissue in the jar that I froze and will bring all the samples that I have collect to the surgeon today. There was also a lot of blood in his urine. I also got up at 2:15 and 4:20 and there was a lot of blood as well. I really hope that we find something today, this should not be this way. My poor baby.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11th 2013 5:01 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

It's a rainy day today and the boys were extremely hyper this morning. I was getting dressed and was obviously not paying attention to them. In the background I heard them running in and out of the doggie door. I should have thought... wet paws. I took a peek in the bedroom and NOT to my surprise were Cooper & Buddy absolutely adorable and covered in mud. Did I mention that I have a white blanket over the bed and it too was covered in mud. I cleaned up the little ones and will deal with the bed later. I am used to washing the bed sheets and blankets on a daily basis these days. It's really their bed, not ours anymore. It's the price we pay for living in their house, I guess. We are grateful they let us have some space.

Tomorrow is the big day for the final testings. I am nervous that Buddy will be going under for this one but I think with him being so young and he has had surgery before, this should be just fine. I just pray that with the CT scan, they can finally figure out something. I will keep ya'll posted and hoping for a successful resolution.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 10th 2013 6:35 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

I was surrounded by family yesterday and this past weekend, the best gift I could have gotten! My pups were all in good spirits last night and I was bound by love, what's better than that? I don't think there is anything.

Our sitter said that there was some more tissue yesterday in Buddy's pad in his Tinklebelt. I checked when I got home but there was not enough to save and bring with us on Friday. Last night there was still signs of bleeding but not as much as there has been so I would say that it was a good night. We were chatting last night about the potential outcome of these tests on Friday and if the doctors do not find anything that could help answer the bleeding issues or the incontinence then I would like to try a holistic route for awhile; it can't hurt. If science cannot help to determine cause then I am not ready to cut open my baby to put the hydraulic urethral occluder in him knowing it may or may not be successful. There are risks involved and his body may not accept this, similar to a human that was to reject a liver transplant or something to that effect. I rather put him on vet recommended supplements for awhile. I have been doing some research and these are some things that I have found that may help Buddy if we cannot find a cause:

Asparagus extract (which detoxifies and is used to support urinary tract functions)

cranberry (Supports urinary health and helps maintain healthy bladder function)

Saw Palmetto extract (in humans it supports prostate and urinary health)

Olive leaf extract (to support immune system and overall well being - containing Oleuropein which has powerful antioxidants)

gosha-jinki-gan (This is a blend of herbs that the Japanese have been using for decades for humans with overactive bladders or urinary incontinence) There is a site called that is similar to amazon in Japan that does offer the product but it has not been scientifically proven to cure.

These are just a few things that i have been reading about to suggest to our surgeon if his tests find nothing. As I have mentioned before, I can handle the urinary dripping but the bleeding is what bothers me and I will not stop until we can resolve at least that and if we happen to cure the dripping as well with supplements or another method, that would be great.

Buddy has become such a big part of our family in just less than a month and I cannot let him be subject to anything that could potentially cause him harm. I rather him be healthy and dribble than be sick and not.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9th 2013 6:02 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

If I could have taken a picture of where I was in bed last night, it would have been hilarious. All the dogs seem to nestle in close to me on my half of the bed; maybe they think I am cold so they need to keep me warm or something. I woke up at 1:30 am to change Buddy's Tinklebelt; it was soaked and there was a little blood. I had Tooten on my pillow above my head, Cooper next to me with his head on my other pillow and Buddy stretched out long like a human along my side closer to the end of the bed. Rusty of course was under the bed where she can guard who comes into the bedroom. Four would have been nice but Rusty kind of grouchy. Anyway, I barely had any pillow and virtually no blanket. I think I might try the couch tonight, who am I kidding, I love it!

I had all the dogs waiting for me at the door to the pantry when I came back from washing Buddy's Tinklebelts. Apparently filling the tummies are more important than emptying the bladders at 5am. None the less, everyone ate and then proceeded to go outside to do their business and then piled back in bed with daddy for a little while longer. Off to work and to then anticipate coming home to my family...all day!

Our surgeon emailed me back today and said:

"That is disappointing about the DES. If it is not working, it is unlikely to help at this point and we probably can take Buddy off the DES. You can bring those samples in that you have saved. Depending on the tissues, we may have to submit another sample and see if they can call anything.

I just spoke with Mary about the CT for Friday. We can plan on doing the CT followed by scope on Friday. Like we talked about before, scoping the male dogs can be difficult but I think in Buddy's case it is worth a shot.

They crew who typically run the CT are in a seminar Friday morning, so we can do Buddy in the afternoon. I had Mary put you in for a CT at 1pm. If you can bring Buddy in at approximately 11am fasted, we can get him all set for anesthesia (catheter, etc). Depending on what is seen on the CT we can proceed with the scope immediately following."

It looks like we are all set for Friday. Please pray with me, they have got to find something that they can fix. I can't have him bleed like this for his whole my little guy.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.


Monday, July 8, 2013

July 8th 2013 8:07 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Woke up at 1am and then 5am and changed Buddy's soaked Tinklebelt. It doesn't seem worse or better since we started the medicine. Not much blood today which is good in my opinion. I am praying to find something with this next test on Friday, CT Scan with contrast & scope.

I am sad to be back at work today and away from the pack. It was nice to have four days off to be with them. We went to the park everyday, had walks, runs and so much fun! I think all around, everyone was pooped from the long weekend. I am sure they will be sleeping all day today. Just counting the hours now until I get to see them all again.

*note: each case is unique; this is our story.

  Sort By Oldest First



Family Pets

Rooten Tooten


(What does RSS do?)