Close X


Living with incontinence, Buddy's story

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 22nd 2013 10:30 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

OK, I am kind of freaking out but not, maybe I'm just being a concerned mom so I have to vent and what better place then here where everyone understands. My eyes keep swelling up with tears and I can't stop it. I am trying to stay busy but it's hard. I spoke to our surgeon today via email and he was telling me exactly what needs to be done. Basically because of the resistant infections, we may be doing two surgeries in one. We may be cutting open Buddy's bladder to see what we can find that is causing these resistant infections. I thought that if the occluder was implanted, his opening would be smaller and no more infections would creep up there. Maybe I am wrong but I am not the vet. If we do just the occluder surgery after the antibiotics are done, we get another culture and see no infection that would be fine but what happens if something inside the bladder is causing the resistant infections and Buddy continues to get them coupled with having a foreign body part, he may have to go under again. The problem is that the risk doubles with two surgeries, because he would be going under two times and recovering two times, more risk. He says that most owners would hesitate to do at separate times because of the cost. It is my understanding that doing the two in one will only add a little more time to the recovery. I just want Buddy to be alive and healthy so whatever is in the best interest of him, we should do. I'm still waiting for a response.

I'm scared that he won't put the occluder in if we find another issue in the bladder. I think it is smart to check out the bladder first because of these resistant infections. The next one he gets could be resistant to all meds...then what do we do? The first one was resistant to all but two and this last one is resistant to all but one. I don't know, I just want Buddy to be healthy and comfortable and with these infections, he isn't very comfortable. The meds are helping now because I can tell that he is less restless at night and stays in one spot. But with the Tinkle belts, they have been great but when he comes inside, I can tell he doesn't want to wear them anymore because he sees me with it and runs back outside. He is patient with me while I clean him. He is 100% healthy minus the infection, his blood work came back perfect, I don't know if I mentioned that.

I am scared as we keep prolonging the surgery waiting on results, I am glad that we are but in the back of my mind I keep thinking does this surgeon really know how much Buddy means to us? Will he do all he can to make sure he comes out of this alright? We he take all measures to to ensure his safety and not make an oops that costs Buddy his life. That thought is what has been haunting me.I kind of just want to fast forward this whole thing and see Buddy on the other end, dribble free and happy to be home and healing. I don't feel that anyone can care for him like we can. Got to focus on something else now. Please keep Buddy in your prayers and pray that God takes care of him and blesses us with many years ahead with Buddy.


Leave A Comment | 3 people already have

Barked by: Flicka ~ CGC (Dogster Member)

October 22nd 2013 at 2:59 pm

Stop... if you start 2nd guessing the surgeons motives right now(where is this "does he care" comeng from ????????????) then you might as well quit and just do things the way you are.

Stop.. of course he cares....

You are making fears groundlessly and simply scaring yourself for no reason at all.

STOP !!!!!!!!!

If you second guess this.. why not really worry yourself and second guess the meaning of life and all else.


Now.. calm .. for your and the dogs sakes... BREATHE....

Make a decision.. either trust the vet/surgeon.... and go forward.. or carry on as you are.. and go forward...


Yes.. things can go wrong.. and they can also go right. Maybe you need to stop seeing the negative and focus on the positive... look at Buddy and take your cue.. he only sees a good day.. love.. and doing the things he loves with who he loves... somewhere along the line you seem to have lost that.. find it again... BREATHE

Know that we love and care....lots....


PS.. and I bet Turner's Mum told you I dont mince words.. laughs....

Hugssssss XXX
Barked by: Turner - Gone Too Soon (Dogster Member)

October 22nd 2013 at 8:19 pm

You've told me before that this vet is extremely concerned for Buddy. You need to trust him. I agree with everything Flicka said and then some! Breathe. All surgeries are risky, but this vet is more than concerned and Buddy will be in the best of care....
Barked by: Droopy, Forever in my heart (Dogster Member)

October 23rd 2013 at 1:54 am

I have to agree with Flicka & Turner. I can understand your fears, of course I can, I would have them too. but I know I would trust my vet, most vets are wonderful, they care just as much has you do bout your pet. I think all the waiting is just taking a toll on you. you love Buddy so much & just want him to be healthy & happy. Very understandable! I have never met Buddy & I love him, DEARLY! But, even though he is going through all this, it seems to me that he is HAPPY & other than this problem, he is healthy! Like I said, I completely understand your fears, any of us would have them, but don't let it swallow you, enjoy everyday & every minute you have, Buddy is! I believe this vet cares deeply for Buddy..I know how much you love all of your kids & I know how much they ALL LOVE YOU! enjoy that love, hold it & just enjoy it. I know you are worried, your a mom, but Buddy isn't, he wakes up to a new day of hugs & kisses & fun! You know you have a lot of people here that care very much, we are all praying for Buddy.. This is all gonna work out, find that faith & hold on to it. Love you!

Enter your comment information or log in if you have an account.

Fields marked with * are required

Anti-spam Challenge:
8 + 6 =




Family Pets

Rooten Tooten


(What does RSS do?)