Close X


Life With Sharon, or, How Much Can a Dog Take?

(Page 7 of 10: Viewing Diary Entry 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

No "Snooze" Button

October 16th 2010 4:13 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Sometimes my Mom is really hard to wake up in the morning. I'm ready to get up and I want my breakfast and Mom just lies around in bed pretending she's sleeping. Well, nobody sleeps when I'm awake, so I lick her eyelids and then her face and then her ears, and if she tries to roll over and ignore me, I lick her hair. If that doesn't work, I climb on top of her head so I can reach her face again. I know if I kiss her right on the mouth I'll get a reaction: "Oh, Patch, that was really a wet one!" She calls me her furry little alarm clock and wants to know why I don't have a "snooze" button. Finally she gives up and starts to get out of bed; then I belly-crawl across the bed so she'll give me a good all-over scratch before we start the day.

On our walk today, Mom got really excited and said, "Patch, there's a fairy ring!" I didn't see what all the fuss was about - just looked like a bunch of mushrooms in a circle to me, but then she told me about the book, Summer of the Monkeys, and how rare and special a fairy ring was. She said this was the first one she'd ever seen after looking for years and years. It was a double row of mushrooms in a perfect circle, large enough for me to walk around inside, so I did - Mom said I was supposed to make a wish, so I wished for CHICKEN!



October 10th 2010 8:48 am
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Today is Mom's Golden Birthday (10-10-10). Happy Birthday, Mom!


Are You My Mother?

October 9th 2010 4:04 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Life is so confusing. Just when you think you have it figured out, somebody changes it on you. You have to remember that I'm a rescue dog and have had to get used to many new "homes" and many new "moms." So when my mom left me with Lamoine, my dog sitter, a couple of weeks ago and didn't come back and didn't come back...Well, I have to go back to that day and tell you how it all went down.

I told you that Mom had been putting things in the suitcases and that made me nervous right there. Then Lamoine came early the next morning and we all went to the place where the really big, long cars with lots of windows in a row stop and people get on and off. Mom and Lamoine took her suitcases out of the car and LEFT ME IN! A man took Mom's suitcases and put them in the bottom of the big, long car; then she came back to me, gave me a hug, told me to be a good boy and said the dreaded word: BYE-BYE! I watched out the window as the big long car opened up and swallowed her! I watched as it took my mom out of my life.

Lamoine was very nice to me - we played bunny and took walks and she took me almost everywhere in her car. We did everything together for a long time, until I started to forget about Mom. After a while, I got to feeling like she WAS my mom. Then one day this strange thing happened - we went back to the place where the really big, long cars stop and got out and waited until one of them stopped in front of us. It opened up and out came a person I didn't know. She called my name and was really excited to see me, but she had on clothes that smelled strange and when she bent down to hug me, I got frightened. She said, "Patch, don't you know me? Have you forgotten who I am?" I was really confused and didn't know what was happening. By the time the suitcases were loaded in the car, I was beginning to remember, and started to wag my tail - it was starting to come back to me that this person was familiar. I tried to get closer to check her out, but I was stuck in the back seat. By the time we got home and she started playing with me, I knew it was my mom, but she had been gone so long that I had learned to love Lamoine, too. Now Lamoine was leaving and I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I wanted to go and I wanted to stay. Mom loved me up and then we both watched out the window as Lamoine got in her car and left. Mom told me how much she'd missed me and that she was sorry she'd been gone so long. She said she understands that I love Lamoine, too, and that we'd see her again soon, but just for a visit.

I think Mom's feelings were a little hurt, but that's what she gets for leaving me. I know that next time, she'll pack MY suitcase, too.


Uh-oh! Mom's Packing Her Suitcases!

September 18th 2010 10:49 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

I'm nervous. Mom has the suitcases out and she's been filling them up all day. I keep bringing her bunnies to try to distract her, but she only talks to me and isn't enticed to play. Once in a while when I get desperate enough to actually drop the bunny, she would give it a perfunctory toss, but I could tell her heart wasn't really in it. Yesterday Lamoine, my dogsitter, came over - I thought it was just a casual visit, but now I'm thinking it might have had a more specific purpose. If you don't hear from me for a couple of weeks, it's because my secretary is gone.


Angel Wings for Grandma

September 15th 2010 8:04 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

I went to my Grandma's funeral today. Mom thought it would be only right for me to be there, since I was with her right up until the end. The service was very nice, just what Grandma would have wanted. All the ladies got roses and everyone came up to Mom and told her what a special person Grandma had been, and what they remembered most about her. We're very sad and will miss her a lot, but we know that her pain and fears are gone and she's with the angels in heaven. Tomorrow we will bring flowers to the nursing home where she used to live.


A Long Vigil

September 6th 2010 10:33 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Today we left the nursing home for the last time. Grandma had a heart attack yesterday morning, so we went over there right away, at 5:30 in the morning. There were a lot of people in the room that were helping her, testing her blood pressure, oxygen level, and pulse. She looked pretty bad and she wasn't able to reach down and pet me. Later in the day she was feeling a little better and reached her hand down so I could lick her fingers. Mom said we were going to spend as much time as necessary at the nursing home, so we brought my bed, my rug, one of my bunnies, and all Mom's electronic stuff - e-book, laptop, cell phone, so we could stay connected. We slept there overnight in Grandma's recliner and tried to help her feel better, but she just got worse and worse. Finally, about 6:00, she passed away. I hope she meets Misty, Mack, Duffy and Buttons at the Rainbow Bridge on her way to heaven. Mom and I will miss her a lot and I won't get to visit all the grandmas at the nursing center any more. Well, maybe, Mom said, we could go back occasionally and visit some of the grandmas who really liked me - I made their faces change from sad to happy when they saw me. Today one of the grandmas hugged me tight and pressed her face against mine. I like making them smile and tell me how much they miss their old dogs. Old dogs and old people ROCK!


"Too much of water hast thou, ..."

August 31st 2010 6:15 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Rain, rain, rain...Mom has had trouble getting me to go out today. It's 6:05 p.m. and I've only been out once because I don't like to get WET! But now I'm getting a little full of you-know-what. And not only has it been raining ALL DAY, but I had to have a bath! I've been getting pretty itchy (happens about this time every year)so Mom decided to bathe me with my special shampoo that takes the itch away. I'm very good in the bath - I'm always good in every situation - but I'd rather not have one. The good thing about it is that Mom massages me for 10 minutes while the shampoo is doing its stuff - who doesn't like a good massage! But it just doesn't seem right that I have to get wet whether I go outside or stay in.

Happy Birthday to my pal, Teddy! I hope you don't have to have a bath today!



August 28th 2010 10:20 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

You know you're in Canada when you hear "eh?" at the end of every question, as in "Arf, arf, eh?" That's where we spent this afternoon, having lunch in Vancouver, B.C. Traffic was beastly because of road construction, so what is usually a 55 minute trip took an hour and a half. (That's 10 hours in dog time.) I was VERY happy to finally get out of the car and stretch my legs a little. We looked for a restaurant with tables outside, since Canada is not as forward-thinking as Paris and does not allow dogs inside the restaurant, but we were very surprised to find out that they don't allow us inside the enclosure around the sidewalk tables either! So I had to sit on the OUTSIDE of the railing while Mom sat on the inside and ate her lunch. I put on my sad face and she felt so bad that she kept slipping me bites of her lunch through the railing.
After lunch we strollered along the area called Gastown and even went into some shops. Riding in the stroller is really cool, because I get to go (almost) everywhere Mom goes. We looked at expensive clothes and expensive furniture and nobody told us we couldn't come in. In fact, everyone was very furiendly and thought I was just adorable! (One person said, Isn't that just the cat's pajamas!" I didn't get that - there weren't any cats in my stroller and I wasn't wearing pajamas.)
After shopping we strollered along the promenade along Burrard Inlet. Mom could see that I was just itching to get out and stretch my legs, so she let me walk and greet other dogs and their people. We met a French bulldog, two Chinese Crested wearing warm sweaters(they're bald, you know) a couple of chihuahuas, a gorgeous, tall black and white poodle (I especially admired him) AND two dachshunds in their own stroller!
I'm becoming very relaxed in my stroller - not much bothers me, not even the loud noises of a city. I just sit and watch all the fascinating goings-on around me. Mom says I'm becoming quite the sophisticated little traveler.

What an amazing world I've been missing.


Just a-Strollerin' Along...

August 21st 2010 11:09 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

Today Mom asked me if I wanted to go along with her to the Bite of Bellingham. Well now, anything with "bite" in it sounded pretty good to me, so she loaded our "new" stroller in the van, picked up Aunt Connie and Poochini and off we went.The Bite consisted of a lot of white tents with all different kinds of FOOD! There was pizza and Indian food and pork sliders; there was creme brulee and custard tarts and carrot cake - why, oh why does she do this to me? She did give me a bite here and there, but I noticed she kept most of them for herself.

The new stroller worked great! At first Mom thought we wouldn't need it, but after dodging feet and fending off agressive dogs, she changed her mind and we went back for it. It's very comfy - I can sit (forwards or backwards)or lie down, and it has a convertible top that not only provides shade, but has a porthole so I can see Mom through it. Mom liked it because people made way for us - just like the parting of the Red Sea, she said.

You'll never guess what we did next! Aunt Connie wanted a pedicure, but it was too hot to leave Poochini and me in the car, so she asked the lady at the desk if we could come in too, and the lady said Yes. It was a very strange place, all these ladies sitting around with their feet in water, and the smells weren't nearly as good as at the "Bite." In fact, I didn't like them at all - they tickled my nose. But I was very well-behaved, as usual. I lay quietly beside Mom while a lady rubbed her feet and legs and then painted this red stuff all over her toenails! She asked me what color I would like, but I wasn't having any of that! I do have my dignity, you know. Poochini was making a fool of herself, as usual, barking and jumping around. At one point she lost her chewstick in her mom's footbath and when the lady saw it she pulled her hands out of the water and said, "What's THAT?" But it was only a chewstick.

Finally, Mom and Aunt Connie were finished having their legs rubbed and feet massaged and toenails polished and we got to leave. They didn't even give us anything to eat. Although, I have to admit, I did score pretty well today - a buffalo chip, a Cruisin' Coffee biscuit, a chewstick from Aunt Connie and a few bites from Mom's lunch - better than the average day.

So, after the smelly place we got to go home, right? Wrong! Then Poochini and I had to stay in the car, which had cooled down by that time, while our moms went shopping. We waited and waited and waited...I was so happy to see Mom when she finally came back that I had to pretend-attack her and squeal. She always squeals back and tells me she's excited to see me, too. Gotta love my mom!


Success is Measured in Small Steps

August 20th 2010 10:07 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Hey, Teddy! I went to the vet to be weighed yesterday and I had lost a whole pound! BOL!!!
If I can lose a pound a month, I should be fit and trim by Christmas! I'll still be fluffy, but not extra-fluffy. Mom says weight-loss is a life-long challenge and that we both would be healthier with less belly fat so we're in this together. I have noticed, though, that it's easier for her to cheat than it is for me. She's in control of the can opener.

Last week, Mom bought me a stroller for $5 at a garage sale. I'm not sure what I think of that yet - on the one paw, it's a lot more comfortable than the walker. It's padded and it's just my shape and size when I'm lying down. It's a reasonable color - blue and green plaid - at least it's not PINK. On the other paw, however, I feel a little silly in it, and, to tell you the truth, I think Mom does, too. At least it hasn't come out of the bedroom, yet. I think she plans to take me on our usual walks, because I do need my exercise, and just use the stroller for long distances.

Oh, boy, it's time for bed! I LOVE bedtime because I get a SNACK of cottage cheese and then some cuddle time, which includes ear rubs!


  Sort By Oldest First



(What does RSS do?)