Close X


Life With Sharon, or, How Much Can a Dog Take?

(Page 2 of 10: Viewing Diary Entry 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Happy Holidays

December 18th 2012 12:24 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]



International Travel

November 26th 2012 10:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Mom got out our suitcases again the day before Thanksgiving. I was a little worried when I saw her putting stuff in her suitcase, but then I saw her packing up my stuff, too, so I started to get excited instead of worried. When I saw my dog food being packed I knew that was a very good sign, because she never takes me to a kennel. So we got in the car, picked up her friend and went off to spend Thanksgiving in Canada. We didn't have far to go - we live only about 30 miles from the border and then we drove another hour or so until we got to Harrison Hot Springs. This is a resort in the mountains where there are mineral springs that smell funny and people in bathing suits sit around in steamy water. We walked around the edge of a park and lake and then I had to go in my stroller because Mom and her friend wanted to shop. We went into one store where there were two ladies buying expensive art and when they saw me in the stroller they laughed and exclaimed over me! And guess what they were speaking - FRENCH! So Mom talked to them a little bit in French and a little bit in English - just like in Paris!

I had to stay in the hotel room that evening when Mom went to a fancy dinner at the resort. She thought she probably wasn't supposed to leave me, but wasn't really sure what to do with me. I didn't like being in a strange place alone,so I complained. Loudly. And when Mom got back, the hotel lady told Mom that someone in the hotel had complained, too. About me. Oops.

The next day when we got up, I was limping and so was Mom. She said she wrenched her knee dancing and wanted to know what I did to hurt myself. I didn't tell her. We both had to take pills for pain. :(

In January we're going on a longer trip to Palm Springs, CA. That will be a really long car ride. Even longer than going to France on the plane. At least I won't have to be in a tiny carrier.


17 Needles

September 28th 2012 7:47 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I reminded Mom that I had promised to write about my acupuncture experience. She hadn't decided whether or not it had helped me, so she was putting off declaring success or failure and then she forgot about it. I wish I could say that I was walking steadier and faster,but I'm really not. I'm very stiff and can only take little steps. Sometimes I trip and kind of fall over. So it didn't do what Mom and I had hoped. But it did do something. It made me relax and get calm in the vet's office. Now nothing has ever had that kind of effect on me. As soon as Mom opens the door of the car, I start to shake - even my whiskers tremble! I'm so scared I don't know what to do - I want to sit on Mom's lap and then I want down to hide under the chair. I usually pee or poop on the floor, even if I've just done that outside. When I was up on the the exam table I tried like anything to get down - Mom had to hold me or I would have bailed off, never mind how far down it was. Then it started - the vet started putting these thin little needles in me. But I didn't even know she was doing it! I didn't feel it at all. Some of them came out because I was squirming so much, but most of them stayed in. Mom thought I looked a little like a porcupine with blue quills. By the time the vet had put in the last one, I was lying very RELAXED on the table. I wasn't shaking, I wasn't struggling, I was just calm and a little sleepy. Isn't that funny? So now, five days later, Mom keeps checking me for any signs of improvement. She thinks maybe I seem a little more active, a little more engaged, a little happier (my tail is wagging more), so we're going back for another treatment in a week. At least she feels like she's doing something to help me and that makes her feel better even if it isn't really helping me. But don't tell her.



September 22nd 2012 9:23 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Hey, I was one of the Daily Diary Picks today! Who knew! I don't write much any more so maybe this was a vote of encouragement. Anyway, thanks Dogster Diary Folks. I'm h-h-honored.


Slowin' Down...

September 20th 2012 9:34 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I'm gettin' old and slowin' down. Trouble is Mom doesn't want to let me do it, so she keeps thinkin' of stuff to torture me with. I'm taking pain pills for my arthritis (which I don't mind because they come in FOOD), she took me to the chiropractor (boy, did I HATE that!!) and made me swim (not my favorite thing either) and now she's trying some really weirdo stuff - she's going to take me to a doctor to have NEEDLES STUCK IN ME! She calls it acupuncture. Can you believe that? Would you want to get punctured? Have any of you been tortured like this by your moms? I just want to lie in my soft bed and snooze, getting up only to eat or potty and she just won't let me alone. I do enjoy my twice-a-day walks around the block as long as I don't have to hurry and I get plenty of sniffing time. So my steps are getting shorter and my balance is a little off - my nose still works and that's where all my news comes from anyway. Oh, she tried massage on me, too, but I didn't like that much either. I'm not a cuddly touchy-feely dog. Give me the occasional ear rub and let me sit nearby, but don't mess with me. My appointment to be punctured is Monday. If I live through it, I'll let you know how it went.


Under the Knife...

July 4th 2012 8:12 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Stones are not good things to have in your bladder. They hurt. When an xray showed that I had some there, Mom had to put me on a special prescription food that was supposed to dissolve them. The worst part about this diet was NO TREATS!!! After three months, they were still there. So I had to go under the knife. After the operation Mom came to get me and I thought we were going home, but instead she took me to another hospital where I had to stay overnight. I protested very loudly even though she left my green bunny with me. I was so loud they had to put a towel over my cage, but that didn't stop me. Now it's five days later and I'm starting to feel a lot better. Mom had pee pads all over the house, because I felt like I had to pee all the time, even though I couldn't. I could only pee a few drops of blood. That's getting better now, but I'm taking a lot of medicine - about 10 pills a day, which is a good thing because Mom gives them to me in little balls of dog food. I have a really cool scar on my belly - it's about four inches long and shaped like a fish-hook. Mom was really worried about the operation because I'm an older guy and don't do well with anesthesia, so she was relieved when I was awake again. My Dinah went to stay with some greyhound friends because when she gets excited sometimes she steps on me and sometimes I get excited too and Mom wants me to stay quiet. A couple more days and she won't have to worry about that anymore.


Old Age

April 1st 2012 12:30 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Old age is not for the faint of heart. It's a good thing I have a good attitude and always look on the sunny side, because things are getting harder. Back xrays showed that some of my vertebrae have lost their cushioning and are rubbing against each other - guess that's why I don't want to walk very fast anymore. Of course, I don't mind - slow walking is all the better for sniffing. When Mom and Dinah want to walk fast, I go in the stroller. Dinah doesn't like that so much because Mom has her attached to a short belt so she doesn't get to sniff.

The xrays I had also showed bladder stones - four of them,all in a neat little bunch. So now I have to eat this food that looks like gray school paste and nothing else - did you hear me? NOTHING ELSE! NO TREATS! OF ANY KIND! This has to go on for at least two months. Fortunately for me, I don't mind the taste of it, but it would be nice to have a little variety and some crunch once in a while.

Next week I have to start swim therapy again. Punishment on top of pain! See what I mean about old age? Phooey!


Why Does My Head Feel Funny?

February 10th 2012 7:01 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

I had a broken tooth extracted today. My brain feels fuzzy
and ... I keep ... drifting... huh? What was I saying? Oh, yes, my tooth... It had been causing me occasional pain which I tried to rub out on the floor, but Mom didn't know what was making me do that, so we went to the vet who checked my whole face and found a broken tooth that was loose. So today I had to have it out. When Mom picked me up from the vet this afternoon, I made a big show of running out and acting lively, but by the time we got home Mom had to carry me out of the car like a limp noodle. I managed to eat dinner even though I nearly fell into my bowl, and now I'm kind of in and out of consciousness.

Dinah has so much to learn. She's afraid to go down the stairs of our building, which is not good in case we have to evacuate. Today (while I was under the anesthesia) Mom made her practice going down our stairs. It took a lot of persuasion, praise and patience, but in the end she was able to go down two short flights of stairs and back up. Mom was able to sweet-talk her into stepping down two steps with her front feet, but she left her back feet up at the top. She didn't seem to know what to do with them, so Mom helped her move one of them down one step and that got her momentum going. Mom told her what a brave girl she was and what a good job she had done, but she didn't want to do the rest of them. It took a lot of petting and praising and encouragement before they were back up where they had started. Mom decided that would do for today - more practice to come.


What a Surprise!!

January 31st 2012 8:42 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Living on the West Coast and not being an early riser, I'm always the last to know everything. Imagine my surprise when Mom opened my mailbox this morning and it was full of wonderful messages and prezzies! Thank you all so much and thank you Dogster for the honor that brought me all the attention AND a new pup pal. This has been quite a week for me!


Dinah, Part Deux

January 29th 2012 7:05 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Dinah is sleeping. She must be dreaming. Her cheeks are puffing in and out like she's running hard and her feet are twitching. Her eyelids open a little and then close again. Did you know that sometimes greyhounds sleep with the eyes open? She went to a greyhound run today and joined in with a gang of seven to chase the dog that was chasing the ball. Most greyhounds aren't interested in balls because they just sit there and don't run, but one of the hounds was obsessed by a ball. One of the humans threw the ball, that hound chased the ball and all the hounds chased him. And the game was on!

Dinah has the cutest smile! If you didn't know, you might think it was a snarl because she lifts her lips, crinkles her nose and shows all her teeth. But she does it when she's happy and excited, or glad to see someone.

Dinah was in a foster home for about six weeks before she came to us and before that she was at a Texas track. She was sent from the "halfway house" to the Northwest Canadian Greyhound League and then to her foster home. She was a racer and quite a good one when she was younger. She ran 40 races and won, placed or showed in about half of them. Usually, if she didn't place, it was because she was bumped. Racing can be very dangerous for greyhounds. If you go online you can find out what horrible accidents can happen in a race. Dinah was lucky that none of her "bumps" seriously injured her. When she retired from racing, she became a brood mom and had two litters of puppies. Some of her offspring became racers and some did not. We hope that the ones that did not make the grade were adopted out.

  Sort By Oldest First



(What does RSS do?)