Close X


Life With Sharon, or, How Much Can a Dog Take?

(Page 9 of 10: Viewing Diary Entry 81 to 90)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Under the Knife...

July 4th 2012 8:12 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Stones are not good things to have in your bladder. They hurt. When an xray showed that I had some there, Mom had to put me on a special prescription food that was supposed to dissolve them. The worst part about this diet was NO TREATS!!! After three months, they were still there. So I had to go under the knife. After the operation Mom came to get me and I thought we were going home, but instead she took me to another hospital where I had to stay overnight. I protested very loudly even though she left my green bunny with me. I was so loud they had to put a towel over my cage, but that didn't stop me. Now it's five days later and I'm starting to feel a lot better. Mom had pee pads all over the house, because I felt like I had to pee all the time, even though I couldn't. I could only pee a few drops of blood. That's getting better now, but I'm taking a lot of medicine - about 10 pills a day, which is a good thing because Mom gives them to me in little balls of dog food. I have a really cool scar on my belly - it's about four inches long and shaped like a fish-hook. Mom was really worried about the operation because I'm an older guy and don't do well with anesthesia, so she was relieved when I was awake again. My Dinah went to stay with some greyhound friends because when she gets excited sometimes she steps on me and sometimes I get excited too and Mom wants me to stay quiet. A couple more days and she won't have to worry about that anymore.


Slowin' Down...

September 20th 2012 9:34 am
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I'm gettin' old and slowin' down. Trouble is Mom doesn't want to let me do it, so she keeps thinkin' of stuff to torture me with. I'm taking pain pills for my arthritis (which I don't mind because they come in FOOD), she took me to the chiropractor (boy, did I HATE that!!) and made me swim (not my favorite thing either) and now she's trying some really weirdo stuff - she's going to take me to a doctor to have NEEDLES STUCK IN ME! She calls it acupuncture. Can you believe that? Would you want to get punctured? Have any of you been tortured like this by your moms? I just want to lie in my soft bed and snooze, getting up only to eat or potty and she just won't let me alone. I do enjoy my twice-a-day walks around the block as long as I don't have to hurry and I get plenty of sniffing time. So my steps are getting shorter and my balance is a little off - my nose still works and that's where all my news comes from anyway. Oh, she tried massage on me, too, but I didn't like that much either. I'm not a cuddly touchy-feely dog. Give me the occasional ear rub and let me sit nearby, but don't mess with me. My appointment to be punctured is Monday. If I live through it, I'll let you know how it went.



September 22nd 2012 9:23 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Hey, I was one of the Daily Diary Picks today! Who knew! I don't write much any more so maybe this was a vote of encouragement. Anyway, thanks Dogster Diary Folks. I'm h-h-honored.


17 Needles

September 28th 2012 7:47 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I reminded Mom that I had promised to write about my acupuncture experience. She hadn't decided whether or not it had helped me, so she was putting off declaring success or failure and then she forgot about it. I wish I could say that I was walking steadier and faster,but I'm really not. I'm very stiff and can only take little steps. Sometimes I trip and kind of fall over. So it didn't do what Mom and I had hoped. But it did do something. It made me relax and get calm in the vet's office. Now nothing has ever had that kind of effect on me. As soon as Mom opens the door of the car, I start to shake - even my whiskers tremble! I'm so scared I don't know what to do - I want to sit on Mom's lap and then I want down to hide under the chair. I usually pee or poop on the floor, even if I've just done that outside. When I was up on the the exam table I tried like anything to get down - Mom had to hold me or I would have bailed off, never mind how far down it was. Then it started - the vet started putting these thin little needles in me. But I didn't even know she was doing it! I didn't feel it at all. Some of them came out because I was squirming so much, but most of them stayed in. Mom thought I looked a little like a porcupine with blue quills. By the time the vet had put in the last one, I was lying very RELAXED on the table. I wasn't shaking, I wasn't struggling, I was just calm and a little sleepy. Isn't that funny? So now, five days later, Mom keeps checking me for any signs of improvement. She thinks maybe I seem a little more active, a little more engaged, a little happier (my tail is wagging more), so we're going back for another treatment in a week. At least she feels like she's doing something to help me and that makes her feel better even if it isn't really helping me. But don't tell her.


International Travel

November 26th 2012 10:19 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Mom got out our suitcases again the day before Thanksgiving. I was a little worried when I saw her putting stuff in her suitcase, but then I saw her packing up my stuff, too, so I started to get excited instead of worried. When I saw my dog food being packed I knew that was a very good sign, because she never takes me to a kennel. So we got in the car, picked up her friend and went off to spend Thanksgiving in Canada. We didn't have far to go - we live only about 30 miles from the border and then we drove another hour or so until we got to Harrison Hot Springs. This is a resort in the mountains where there are mineral springs that smell funny and people in bathing suits sit around in steamy water. We walked around the edge of a park and lake and then I had to go in my stroller because Mom and her friend wanted to shop. We went into one store where there were two ladies buying expensive art and when they saw me in the stroller they laughed and exclaimed over me! And guess what they were speaking - FRENCH! So Mom talked to them a little bit in French and a little bit in English - just like in Paris!

I had to stay in the hotel room that evening when Mom went to a fancy dinner at the resort. She thought she probably wasn't supposed to leave me, but wasn't really sure what to do with me. I didn't like being in a strange place alone,so I complained. Loudly. And when Mom got back, the hotel lady told Mom that someone in the hotel had complained, too. About me. Oops.

The next day when we got up, I was limping and so was Mom. She said she wrenched her knee dancing and wanted to know what I did to hurt myself. I didn't tell her. We both had to take pills for pain. :(

In January we're going on a longer trip to Palm Springs, CA. That will be a really long car ride. Even longer than going to France on the plane. At least I won't have to be in a tiny carrier.


Happy Holidays

December 18th 2012 12:24 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]



It's a Long, Long Way to Palm Springs

January 9th 2013 9:34 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

We drove for three whole days to get here. I was beginning to think the van was my new home. Staying three nights in a new, strange place each time was kind of unsettling. At least I always had my familiar soft crate which comforted me a little. We had three days of great weather and easy travel until we got to Southern California. Then Mom got a little tense. Between Santa Clarita and San Bernadino she was pretty quiet and I think I saw a little sweat bead on her forehead. When we finally stopped at a rest stop after about two hours,she had a little trouble prying her fingers off the steering wheel. She muttered something about bumper-to-bumper traffic going eighty miles an hour, and then there was something about having to cross five lanes of traffic to get to the right exit. I don't know what it was all about - I was napping in the back.

It's a lot sunnier here in Palm Springs than it is back home in Washington. We can take walks without getting wet. There's a dog park here that we visited but I wasn't too interested in playing, so I just walked around a little and returned some salutations. Most of the dogs here seem to be blends of two or three different breeds. There are a lot of shelters in S. Cal. so I think that's a good thing. A lot of homeless dogs are finding their furever homes.

Today we were walking in a park - well, Mom was walking and I was in the stroller because I don't walk very well any more - and a bunch of "old guys" were sitting around a picnic table at the tennis courts and they started laughing at my transportation and making rude remarks. Mom laughed,too, but then she said, Don't laugh too hard, you'll be riding in one of these all too soon! Then they really laughed (but I wonder if they really thought it was funny).

It's nice to have a back yard to walk around in again, but the sun is very bright. Mom wants me to wear my Doggles and I did for a little while, but I'm still not convinced that they're worth the annoyance. Oh, I know I look cool, but what good does it do to look cool in your own back yard?
I might wear them downtown. There's a film festival going on and maybe people will think I'm a movie star dog in town for the Golden Canine Award. Or not...


Is This Really Necessary?

January 13th 2013 4:23 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

I had to have a bath today. We've only been here 10 days and I already had to have a bath. Who knew the desert would be so dirty? If I weren't built so low to the ground, I could have gotten away with a foot bath, but Mom said my belly was dirty too, so in the tub I went. I decided to sit down so my butt got washed,too. In fact, both of us got wetter than was in the original plan.
We saw a roadrunner today. No, not the cartoon one, but a real one. He acted just like the cartoon one, though. He ran a bit and then stopped and his tail went up and down. Then he ran another bit and his tail went up and down again. I can see why they made a cartoon character out of him.
I'm vacationing with a golden retriever named Annie. She's very polite and I've found out that she doesn't mind sharing her dinner. Last night Mom heard a crunch, crunch, crunch, turned around and caught me eating Annie's dinner while Annie stood watching me. It's nice to know that I can still throw my weight around, even if I am a little up there in years. So I probably packed on a couple more pounds. Hey, I can't hear, I can't run, at least I can still eat.


Where in the World is Patch?

January 23rd 2013 10:23 am
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

On our drive up the California coast, supposedly on our way home to Washington, Mom passed several turnoffs from Hwy. 101 to Mendocino and each time she would say, I wish we had time to go to Mendocino, Patch. It's one of my favorite places. So when it was about 4:00 and we were a long way from a nice hotel, she impulsively turned off 101 onto the last exit which put us on a road with hairpin curves for 27 miles. It was dark by the time we got there and we needed a hotel. And I needed dinner. I get a little cranky when I'm hungry and I was hungry! Mom started getting a little cranky when she was looking for a hotel in the dark and I was urgently telling her it was dinner time. Well, with a little advice from the owner of two other shih tzu, we ended up in a great place with every amenity a mom could want including a fireplace and every amenity a dog could want including other dogs! This place caters to dogs! I got to go into the breakfast room with Mom, and since I'd already had my breakfast, I was not cranky. The only bad thing is the slick hardwood floors - I can't stand up, let alone walk. My muscle tone isn't what it used to be. But good old Mom was even prepared for that - she had brought along several carpet runners that we use at home to give me traction so I have pathways where I can walk from my bed to my bowls (very important) to my pee pads. Last night I fell out of bed (my own bed with bolster sides) and got stuck in the corner. The floor was too slick for me to get up, but luckily Mom heard me scrabbling around and woke up to help.
It's raining here, but it's raining at home too, so Mom says we might as well stay here and enjoy the change of scenery. I don't care. I'm happy wherever she is.


I'm On The World Wide Web!

February 4th 2013 7:49 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Hey, guess what! Mom made me a web page of my very own! And so far it's only taken her two full days - I've been bored out of my mind because she's been fixated on getting this done. She's only taken me on two very short walks (short in distance, long in time) and then she went back to the computer. That thing sure monopolizes her time! Anyway, it's done and if you want to see it go to It has cool buttons that take you somewhere else; one even takes you here! Hope you like it. Oh, and my book might be coming out on Cross your toes!

  Sort By Newest First



(What does RSS do?)