YORKIE OWNERS HELP!- food/picky eater

i have a 3.5lbs yorkie who is so picky. we have tried a lot of foods and he doesnt like them. we got him royal canin yorkshire 28 and he seems to love it! However, after reading good/bad reviews im worried. after the bad things that ive read im very worried that this food could harm my little man. Can anyone help me as to what food their yorkie loves? so we can try that. thank you so much

haysiebaby@yahoo.com

Asked by Member 919197 on Nov 17th 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

I'm not a Yorkie owner, but I don't need to be to answer this question.
While I don't hold the opinion that Royal Canin is a good food and while I do think that corn-based foods may be causing some harm to dogs (such as the increase in pet cancer in recent years, perhaps, but I'm stilling researching that one), keep in mind that the majority of dog owners in this country feed less-than-ideal food. (My dogs were fed crappy food up until last year and they were fine. Not as healthy as they are now, but fine.) And, yes, while I think those dogs would benefit from being fed higher quality foods, it's nothing to panic over. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.
Again, it's important to make up your own mind. Letting others make it up for you makes it too easy to get flim-flammed.

Some brands I would recommend looking into trying if you're going to go the commercial food route:
-Solid Gold
-Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
-Diamond Naturals
-Innova EVO
-Kirkland's
-Eagle Pack
-Orijen
-Acana

Some of these brands can be pretty pricey. Having money troubles myself, I have been able to afford Chicken Soup, which I can buy for $25 for an 18 lb bag; Diamond Naturals, which is $20 for an 20 lb bag; and I've found that at $47 for a 33 lb bag Solid Gold is only 6 more cents per lb than Chicken Soup. Another issue can be availablility. I had to feed Iams for a couple of weeks last year until a pet store than sold what I consider better brands finally opended up. Some people have been able to buy their dog's food over the internet, though I have yet to look into that myself.
Good luck making this decision. :)

Kip

I am no expert either....but I have owned four dogs and all were picky..The truth is...a dog will never starve himself. Put the food down and he will eventually eat it and do not keep changing the food brands. Stick to one...he will eventually realize he is not getting anything else and will eat. It helps to eat in front of him to ...it triggers the...I am Hungry...mechanism in his brain..lol..This is advice from our vet and it really did work..Nothing to worry about...He will feed when he is hungry.

Kip answered on 11/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I would first go to the vet and have her oral cavity examined, sometimes a bad tooth or decayed teeth and inflamed gums can affect eating
If all is well there try a better food. Most small dogs love Orijen fish.www.orijen.com

Wilson

I would recommend trying:
Solid Gold - Just a Wee Bit
www.solidgoldnorthwest.com

Innova EVO small bites
www.evopet.com

Both are quality foods and the kibble is very small and easy for a 3.5 lb dog to chew.

Wilson answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chocolate

I'm not a fan of royal canin. Too much corn. Dogs tend to love fish based foods. Chocolate just gobbled up Wellness CORE ocean. not to mention it's healthier then the other stuff.

Chocolate answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have had much more training in dog care than most dog owners. I am also trained in science which leads me to discount all the speculation about dog food based on the ingredients. If you are otherwise happy with the Royal Canin, and the dog is doing well, stick to it. Don't let a bunch of marketing hype stop you. Doesn't stop me from feeding Pro Plan and Iams, and my dogs do very well.

If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, www.longliveyourdog.com You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Seth

Well even thought i dont feed Royal Canin. I want to clear up some points made by some people here that i guess have never seen a bag of it or they work for the company they are promoting. Royal Canin is not a corn based food. I feel it is a good food but is a bit to rich for some dogs and yorkies tend to be picky eaters. My sister had to try many before she found one her dog would eat. Lucky she had others that would eat everything she tryed

Seth answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I tried Royal Canin (Free promotions from dog shows), and I have read the bags... corn gluten meal is the second or third ingredient in almost all the formulas... that is pretty corn heavy to me. My labs didn't care and ate it fine, my poodles would not eat it.

Maverick

I would suggest trying Ultra. It has three protein sources: Chicken meal, lamb meal, and salmon meal so that its super flavorful. There are also superfoods like blueberries and pomegranates that are high in antioxidants and tasty as well! There are no chicken by-products, artificial colors, or preservatives in the food. Also, no ground yellow corn! No matter what food you feed be sure to switch him slowly over at least a week so their will be no tummy issues.

Check out the food at:
www.ultraholistic.com
Thats what mom feeds me and I love it! Mom works for Nutro but, thought you may want another recommendation.

Maverick answered on 11/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a13 week old Yorkie girl. She hated some of the food i got her, but have recently found one she loves! It is Beneful puppy growth puppy food. I have 2 other big dogs in my house, and my puppy wanted to eat "the bigger pieces of food" so i found some that would still help her grow and stay healthy. Good luck!