Yellow Gooey Vaginal Discharge in Spayed Dog.

My bloodhound is 20 months and was spayed before she every had a heat cycle. She had 7 urinary tract infections, or what we thought have been urinary tract infections, but now I am starting to doubt this diagnosis. She now has a thick yellow vaginal discharge. She is having no problems urinating, and there is no blood in her urine. She is constantly licking herself though.

Asked by Member 808561 on Feb 25th 2009 in Answers

Answers

Birdy

That's a lot of UTI's. At a certain point I'd suggest getting a second opinion from another vet. I mean there has to be some underlying issue here.

It sounds to me like a uterine infection, which can be very serious. Please call a couple of vet's talk to them, and like I said possibly consider a new vet for a second opinion.

Stones are another possibility. If I were you I'd get pet insurance now. :)

Good luck to you hope everything works out OK!

Birdy answered on 2/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dante

That is alot of UTI's, was she treated by a veterinarian in each case? I knew someone with a dog who had chronic UTI's and it was due to the way her vulva was shaped. the bottom part acted as a ladle collecting a small pool or urine that allowed bacteria to grow. The vet removed the excess tissue-correcting her anatomy and she hasn't had problems since. Has your vet looked closely as her anatomy? It definitely isn't normal for a dog to have that many infections.

Dante answered on 2/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxie

I also had problems with my dog and recurring UTI's (about 4 or 5 of them) when she was younger. The vet kept treating her with the normal penicillin based antibiotics, and then wanted me to take her to a vet hospital for further treatment because she couldn't figure out why they kept coming back! It turned out that the infections where never clearing up completely because she was allergic to penicillin!! Two weeks on a different antibiotic (bactrum) and she has been UTI free for over a year and a half!! Hope this helps a little, good luck!! :)

Roxie answered on 9/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer