would a mini-pinscher be a good selection for me as a service/theorpy dog

I am a high risk for a heart attack or stroke also i have type 2 diabetes and my blood sugars are out of control ranging from 292 and as 408 at times. my doctor states that it would be benifical to have a
service/theorpy animal i am 78 years and have had 2
second degree strokes as of 8-11-2012. whic dog would
be best for me . service dog or theorpy dog.

Jim

tewkjf@hotmail.com

Asked by Member 1125168 on Aug 11th 2012 Tagged servicedogortheorpydog in Miniature Pinscher

Answers

Your Doctor is all heart, but may not understand how a service dog works.
A service dog can be taught to do tasks, like get the phone for you, turn lights on and off, open doors, etc.
A dog can't be taught how to predict a medical event like stroke, heart attack, high blood sugar or seizures.

In wonderful cases the bond between an owner and dog and a particular dogs ability save it's owner in a medical emergency.

I will also add that such dogs take time to get, are not free and are matched to a person in need - you don't get to pick.

i know this is off topic, but I am sympathetic and have elderly relatives. You need better medical management of your conditions. You need to follow medical directions like diet, medication etc. It is best if someone can help you by going to the appointments and helping you to follow through with instructions.

God Bless.

Sarge

Actually there are dogs trained to be SD for diabetics. My obedience instructor had one and there are dogs trained to alert when the detect a scent your body gives off when it's off balance. Don't think they have a lot of organizations that would use a min pin for it. Best thing is to look up SD trainers that train them. Found this link of dog trainers.

www.diabeticalertdog.com

Here's a link that talks about Training dogs for diabetics:

www.ehow.com

Hope this helps.

Sarge answered on 8/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer