Wondering what some suggestions are brand wise and also where I can turn to or trust for ratings/reviews...

I have an 8 year old Jack Russel/Beagle mix. For the past year he's been on Nutro Ultra. Since I'm getting low and need to pick up a new bag in the next few days before I run out I was looking at other brands I had heard were of good quality.

Doing a google search on each has given me mixed results as to what is given the highest stars and then the conflicting comments make it harder to be sure of the ratings the foods have gotten. (Such as Wellness receiving high ratings but having lots of comments of dogs getting sick and then mention that they use the same facility as Diamond. Another mentioned consistent problems with maggots/bugs in the food.)

He doesn't act like a senior in the slightest (most people think he is a puppy still) even though he isn't a very active dog despite being high energy and because of that maintaining his weight is a big priority for me.

Asked by Member 1114756 on Jun 9th 2012 Tagged food, nutrition, brand, ratings, reviews in Pet Food

Answers

Wesley

dogfoodanalysis.com is a great place for dog food reviews.

Wesley answered on 6/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Why are you switching? If he is doing well on it, just keep feeding it. Never switch dog food "cold turkey"..you risk tummy upset & diarrhea. You should always do a slow transition..start with 75% old food to 25% new. Gradulally increase the new food until after a few weeks your dog is getting 100% of the new.
I feed my guys Acana, from Champion Foods. They also make Orijen..about the best of the best. But not all dogs can handle Orijen..my white shep could not adjust to the adult formulas, despite thriving on their LBP formula.
You can check out dogfoodadvisor.com, or dogfoodanalysis.com. But I would go with my gut, & look at ingredients myself. These sites are not the be all & end all of what is right for YOUR dog.
Nutro is a fine brand that has listened to consumers. They no longer use synthetic vitamin K , & have introduced a grain free formula as well.

Mandy

I have a two year old beagle / hound mix. I feed her Lifes Abundance. This product is not sold in stores. If you want further information just let me know.

Mandy answered on 6/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kazba

I also wondered why you are switching unless they do not eat it. I use Nutro ultra with my show dogs and they not only look great, and are also very healthy. There is nothing wrong with ultra

Kazba answered on 6/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well we switched my dog from Science Diet (bad brand) to Blue Buffalo. I also heard that The Honest Kitchen is good. My dog likes his new food way better than his old Science Diet. Avoid that brand. :P

I would suggest Blue Buffalo :)