Manchego

Will Vitamin B-10 help my dog stop eating other dog's poo?

I've read that dogs eat poo because they have a deficiency in their diet. My dog eats other dog's poo he finds around the neighborhood but not his own or his sister's. Will giving him Vitamin B-10 help?

Asked by Manchego on Feb 19th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

To be honest with you, I've never heard of vitamin B-10!???

Dogs eat *their own* poop most often b/c of a vitamin/mineral deficiency; however, determining the exact "deficiency" is rather difficult. Hence, placing your dog on a premium diet and supplementing with a quality vitamin-mineral supplement tends to do the trick.

When dogs eat other dogs' poop, it's more likely a behavior issue that simple corrective techniques tend to be able to solve.

Are you sure it's other *dogs'* turds and not neighborhood cat's turds that your dog likes to eat? I'm only asking b/c it's rare (but more common than thought) for a dog to eat another dog's feces, but for whatever reason, dogs LOVE cat poop! One theory for this is the "natural enemies" theory (Dogs *love* to eat anything cat...or rabbit, gopher, etc.!).

Just another thought....

answered on Feb 19th.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

And some dogs just like poop. Sad but true!

But if you are worried about a nutritional deficiency, take care of that through a better quality of dog food rather than some specific vitamin supplement.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxy

My moms vet said it's because they're missing something in their diet. My vet said it's just a bad habit. You can buy non harmful powder to sprinkle of the feces and it makes it taste bad. Our beagle still ate it (even with the bad tasting powder). See what your vet says...

Roxy answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jesse

Some dogs just like poo(we won't mention any names Jesse)lol
I have to be right out there when everyone is doing their business or Jessewill have herself a bit of a snack. I can see alot of gross things but this one is a hard one!
So it may not be always something missing as much as a behavioral issue. Trust me my kids get the best of everything!!!!!

Jesse answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer