Will vets fill prescriptions written by another vet?My dog's medication costs $89 per month and I am trying to get it ch

Asked by Member 1000309 on Aug 12th 2010 Tagged findvetwithcheaperpriceofvetoryl in Medications

Answers

Baxter

I am not sure. It might not be in their policy to do so or to refuse to. Depends also on laws perhaps.
Some meds can be filled at a drug store but the vet has to call them in. I use wal-greens.
Also you can use sites online like pet meds.
Ask your vet what you can do. Or if they have a program for you to get on if your dog has a chronic condition. good luck. I know how this can be at times.

Baxter answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

You can try petmeds.com They are generally a little cheaper. I was warned to watch for them sending expired meds, but I have used them for years and so far, all meds work great. They are good about sending you coupons and discount offers too.

I have had a prescription written by one vet and filled by another. I had an emergency and had to get to the closest vet possible for immediate treatment. My dog was prescribed several meds, but I didn't get them from that vet. I called my vet, explained the situation and he filled them all for me. It was more than 200 dollars cheaper than what it would have cost from the other vet. So you are right to check around. You might ask first though. I don't know if they have to, they may opt not to.

It would be curtious though to stick with the vet you trust, and one who won't rip you off, for any future needs.

Good luck!!

Hector answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ty

I have always had my dogs meds filled at my local RX. Many times you can get generic alot cheaper. It may be worth looking into depending on what you have your dog on.

Ty answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer