Will my puppy always think dirtying in her crate is ok? Have we failed at house breaking for good ?

Hello,
We got her at 3 months old (so a bit older then most) we have had her three weeks so she's almost 4 months old.
When we first got her we were going to use crate training for when we were away from the house. She started off sleeping in our bed until she peed in it. She now uses her crate when we are away AND at night time.
At night time when were sleeping she generally wakes us up at 1:30,3:30, and then 6:30-730 to go the the bathroom. Here's the kicker ... When we feed her during the day it takes her anywhere between 2-7 hours to poo. She pees frequently. Some days we would feed her at 8am and she would not poo until 4pm at which point we had to leave the house and we come back to poo all over her crate. We've tried schedules, her crate is right size. I'm convinced she will never get it now because she's okay with going in her crate. We're thinking even now putting her in our kitchen with puppy pads. I feel I have tried/read EVERYTHING to house break and she just won't get it

Asked by Member 1141966 on Nov 23rd 2012 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Okay, in that case, I will first of all check on the ingredients that she eating. Poor elimination schedule is directly related to improper eating habits.

Leo

I'm sure you love your puppy very much, and are trying to do what's best for her, but from what you say I'm going to assume your puppy is kenneled while you're at work, and at night?

A 3 month old puppy can't be in a crate for 8 straight hours, let alone 16+ hours a day. It's simply not fair to your puppy. In addition to potty issues, you risk permanent emotional and behavioral problems, much like you would see in a 2 year old child locked alone in a closet for 16 hours a day.

The rule of thumb with puppies is they can control their elimination for the same number of hours that they are months old, plus one. So if your puppy is 4 months old, it should *never* be left in a crate for more than 5 hours.

Can you imagine how awful it would be for you if you were locked in a little room until you had to go so bad you just went all over yourself? Maybe you should consider doggie daycare or at least a dog walker.

Give your puppy a chance, and it will probably prefer to eliminate outside.

Leo answered on 11/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer