!~Bella~!

Will it hurt my dog if she occasionally eats the kittens food?

My dog and kitten occasionally eat each others food will this harm either one of them?

Asked by !~Bella~! on Jan 31st 2008 Tagged food in Pet Food

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

I am not sure about the kitten eating dog food, however my vet told me that a dog eating kitten food is bad for them because it is high in protein and can cause a number of problems..I solved this problem by putting my cat's bowl on a table out of reach.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If it happens, like you said, only "occasionally," no, it will not hurt your dog. Just don't allow the kitten food to make up the majority of the dog's diet, and the dog food the kitten's diet.

This is something I've always wondered when it comes to kibble-fed dogs and cats: why is it that dogs seem to like cat food so much more than their own food, and cats seem to like the dog food more? Is it just me? Or is that a little strange?!!!

>^..^<

Daisy

My dogs love cat food too! When we foster kittens and cats we have to watch the dogs to make sure they dont steal it (or any other "snack" if you know what I mean).

I heard that cat food is ok for dogs to eat but not good for regular feeding as it doesnt have the proper nutrition for them. BUT I heard that giving dog food to cats is dangerous. So I would try to prevent the kitten from eating the dog food at least.

My dogs have stolen a few bites of cat food here and there and are fine, but I would make sure they have good regular diet and dont eat a lot of it! I learned they love the cat poop b/c cat food is high in protein and it comes out high too--and therefore tasty to dogs. SO Gross! I had to watch the litter box and block the dogs from getting it with a gate!

Daisy answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Brandy

Cat food is much higher in protein than dog food and kitten food is even higher. Diarrhea will most likely occur if your dog gets into the kitten food. If your kitten nibbles on dog food it may not cause any stomach issues like you will see with your dog but it is not a balanced diet for a kitten. I agree with the first answer, elevate your cats bowl. If you free feed your dog through out the day you might want to consider selecting certain eating times and not leaving the bowl out 24/7.

Brandy answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atlas

Okay, cat food contains taurine and ash. It's not going to hurt him in occasional amounts and is an accident but it should be avoided. Cats don't produce Taurine so manufacturers add it into cat foods, all other animals should not receive Taurine in their diet. Ash (higher content in fish flavored foods) can also cause urinary tract problems. My dogs would LOVE to eat cat food all day if they could...and treats left in the litterbox. And, 2 of my cats are absoultely in love with dog food. I don't have an explanation for WHY they do it, but I have been able to solve most issues by placing the cat food high up. I bought one of those rolling kitchen carts from Walmart and put it in my laundry room. We've had cat food up on something for years and haven't had dogs eating any more cat food. And, my dogs eat their dog food pretty quickly so only a few dog food kibbles get snagged by the cats. Eating the food won't "harm" them but may cause diarrhea as long as it's only in small amounts

Atlas answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

If it's just occasionally it won't hurt-maybe loose stool or intestinal upset.Dogs love cat food because it is higher in fat as well as protein. As someone else mentioned about putting the cats food up high so the dog doesn't get it would work great.
I use to put the food in a bath room and put a gate in front of the door so the cats could go under it but the dogs couldn't fit their fat heads under it.

Pedro answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Miss Buddie also loves cat kibble. She also loves the treats in the litter box left after the digestion of said cat kibble. BLECH!

Miss Buddie answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mandy

If it's occasional, no real harm is done. Typically dogs love cat food because cat food is supposed to be more inticing, to satisfy the tastebuds of finicky felines. As for the kitten eating the dog food, I scratch my head. My pets do the same thing, I guess they grass is greener on the other side when it comes to pets, too. Anyway, just don't let it happen too much, it can cause digestive upset, kidney problems, diabetes, and other problems in the long run, but don't panic because that generally happens with dogs who eat strictly cat food or at least a lot more cat food than dog food. I agree about putting the kitty food out of reach of the dog.

Mandy answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer