Will I have to put her down? Is this aggression something that training can fix?

I have a 2 year old pitbull and my mom just moved out to the rural country with her her a week ago. She got loose and attacked our neighbor's sheep (she had never seen sheep before and she didn't kill it but apparently ripped it's ears off). The dog has no aggression towards people but has aggression towards other animals and female dogs. I used to have her in the suburbs where she had killed a rabbit and a possum. I am just wondering if this type of aggression is something I need to be seriously worried about or if this is somewhat normal? And what I can do about it? I would hate to have to put her down!

Asked by Member 1143815 on Dec 5th 2012 Tagged pitbullattackaggression in Aggression

Answers

Try posting this on the behavior forum on this site. There are more people there to help. Sorry I don't have any advice. Good Luck!

This is an intense prey drive -- I would not call this "aggression" per se. Pit bulls can be known for very high prey drives. I would not put her down for this -- dogs are predatory creatures, after all. But she needs to be very carefully managed and make absolutely certain she *cannot* escape onto a neighbor's property to injure or kill livestock -- the property owner is well within their rights to dispatch the dog at that point to protect their livelihood. If the area is fenced make especially sure it can't be jumped, or broken through -- or barring that, put her on a tie-out when outside and make sure she is never outside unsupervised. You could possibly condition her to ignore the sheep but I think that would be a long and hard battle.