Sydney

Will getting another dog help or hurt with separation anxiety (not able to be left alone at home w/o barking)

Does anyone have experience with getting another dog to keep the first dog company in order to help with separation anxiety? My female shih tzu barks the whole time I am gone so I can't leave her home alone. I am wondering if getting her a friend would help. I know it probably depends on the personality of both dogs.

Asked by Sydney on Aug 22nd 2013 Tagged separationanxiety, shihtzu, dogs, barking, calm, friend in Separation Anxiety

Answers

You are correct, but it's a real good idea. Get a little boy (neutered) anything. She'll teach him the ropes, but hopefully you won't end up with two barkers. Make sure that you can handle it beforehand, just in case it happens... like a married couple they can pick up each other's personbality traits. Until I got my 2nd (now I'm happy with four, haha) I didn't realize how important it is for them to have companionship from their same species. My animals all get along because I don't pick one for myself, I pick for my animals based on personality traits of both new and incoming pets. It only took a week for my new 7-week old rescue to be accepted, but I knew I needed to bring in a very little girl (because I have two boys and one big girl). Think about it, and you can retrain her while you're training him... you Can save a life! ^_^