will feeding cooked ham to dogs give them worms

Asked by Member 1080187 on Dec 27th 2011 Tagged worms, dogs in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Nope! No more than feeding cooked ham to humans gives them worms... :)

Feeding RAW pork used to be dangerous to dogs because of the risk of trichinosis, a parasitic disease. But trich has been nearly wiped out in American farmed pork, the only risk is in eating wild boar. And cooking it thoroughly kills the parasite anyway, so pork is totally safe for dogs if it came from farmed pigs and is completely cooked, like a ham.

As a side note though, ham is very salty and fatty and isn't exactly a health food. If you give some to your dog, it should be just a nibble, not a huge chunk.

I rarely feed pork because 1). My dogs don't really like pork and 2). It's unhealthy and has a lot of parasites. Is pork good for dogs? No. Is pork good for people? No. I eat pork 1-2 times a year and it's always on a holiday when I do. Pork is NOT a clean meat, cooked or not it's not clean. Pork has a lot of parasites. Pigs eat their own poop and they eat A LOT of it and since they eat so much it becomes part of their meat. Every once in a while is okay but I wouldn't feed pork all the time.

No meat is clean, keep that in mind. I do feed raw and kibble but I give my dogs their vitamins every day to prevent them from getting parasites and from getting sick.

So to answer your question, if it's just a one time thing for a few days, I think your dog will be fine.

As long as it's from the US and not the wild, no. Grocery store meat in the US should be safe.

I actually feed my dog raw pork quite often as part of his homecooked diet (because I need to feed as much variety in meat as I can).
I'm not sure why pork would be bad for dogs. I mean, as long as it's not seasoned. Dogs actually get their energy from fat, but that said too much can lead to pancritis. I tend to feed smaller portions and/or take most of the fat off whenever I feed pork.

Nope, no worms, just a lot of salt and nitrates. Just like I eat it only in moderation, I would only feed it to my dog in very small amounts. Libby is allergic to chicken (no joke), but she really enjoys some nice, bland ground beef mixed with rice.