Reggie Jackson

Will a dog vomit from too much exercise?

I took my dog run a mile, and he threw up that night. Did I over exert him? He is an 18lb min pin mix.

Asked by Reggie Jackson on Jan 27th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Did you feed him before you took him for the run? Generally a rule of thumb, "no exercise within 2 hours of a meal" for dogs. Was it hot outside? If it was warm out and he is not used to the exercise, then it could be that. Maybe you need to work him up to a mile instead of going the whole way at once. If it's none of these and it continues, I would ask you vet about it.

Ru taking him out for the 1st time, if yes then, its an over dosage for him, just gradually increase. More over do not take him for a run after his meal. just give him some raw egg and milk before his excerise, which will increase the stamina. If he still face the same problem then its better to take him to the VET.

IMO, raw egg and milk will most likely cause additional problems, especially if your dog is not used to it. Dogs do not have the means to digest lactose and therefore cannot get any benefit from milk. As a result of being unable to digest it, many of them WILL get diarrhea from it. I agree with those posters who recommend not feeding for several hours on each side of the heavy exercise... his body is working on keeping his muscles supplied with proper nutrients and not on digesting his food while exercising and right after that exercise. As a result, any food in his stomach is just going to sit there and not be properly digested.

I would not take any puppy for a run.
He looks like an adult?
try working up to a mile before going on a dead run.
conditioning is important, especially for the feet you can damage them.
I would give him a rest and do some doggie stretching for a couple of days before going out again.
It sounds like the run was too much for him. Make sure the dogs stomach is also totally empty

Raw egg and milk are a bad idea, sorry. The milk is virtually indigestible for a dog and really won't have any viable effect on a dog who is tired and over-exerted.

I'm tempted to say a mile run was too long for a dog of this size, but it's hard for me to say this for sure considering that I don't know if you take him for runs often or if this was a first.

If that's the case, then you may have done too much too soon and should work up to this type of exhausting exercise with Reggie.

Try taking him on longer walks and then short runs, building up to a mile and see how he copes with it. Some dogs can't handle that much exercise even if they seem fit; their systems respond with diarrhea or vomiting.

He's very cute, by the way.

Yea they can get sick after exercise. A mile is kind of a long run also. You want to build up to a distance. First i would make sure they could walk a mile. I always started just running a block walking a block. and then build up from there. Best of luck to the two of you.