why would my innocent american staffordshire pitbull eat one of the cats that was in the house

i have a 1-year old american staffordshire pitbull and she recently had a litter of 9 puppies. they were american pit and amstaff mix. we kept two all white pups, the mother and the father who is also a little over 1- yr old himself. one day my buddy came home to find all four of the dogs eating him and his girlfriend's cat. well the pups just had blood on their face and puke of cat parts in front of them. the mom and dad were still eating it. should i take this as an act of aggression? should i be worried? or was just an accident and see that it was their pack instinct coming out? the pups recently died of parvo and the dad was given away for his actions. but i love my baby girl. do you think she'll be ok or should i put her down?

Asked by Member 816206 on Mar 16th 2009 in Aggression

Answers

Poor kitty.
Maybe she was running and the chase instinct took over. She might not like cats. Or maybe she needs extra food and vitamins to come back after having babies.
I don't know if the cat got over friendly with the babies or the cat teased the dog somehow.

I don't know what happened but maybe several things going on. I feel sorry for the cat.

It could be a lot of things...Pack mentality, lack of proper nutrients, prey drive, protecting the pups...The list goes on & on...You should find a good behaviorist to help you decide what to do.
Another thing is your pup is just a baby herself...She needs all the nutrients she can get to grow properly herself...The pups are a huge drain on her & can cause lasting health problems...How did the pups get parvo?...Did you not get them their shots?
Lastly please have your dog spayed...There are pits put to sleep everyday for lack of homes for all that are out there.
Please read this & substitute pit for Lab...With pitties it's even a worse problem sadly.
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Rocky

My dog and cat sleep together everynight, but when the cat gets in a funny mood and starts running around the house i have to put the dog in the backyard cause he won't stop till he has the cat by the neck, i just cant get him to stop, i think it just natural instinct for him to chase

Rocky answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Prey drive which is a natural instinct not an 'act of aggression'. I'm very sorry this happened but leaving 4 dogs and 2 cats loose in the house alone is just asking for disaster. There should have been management in place so that the situation could not occur. I know it hurts but a dog acting on prey drive on I would re-home before euthanizing.

Miss Buddie

Sounds like your dog has a high prey drive. I don't think you need to give her away, but I would certainly rethink getting a cat to live with you and be careful with her when she's outside on walks. It's not a "right or wrong" issue, its just the way some dogs are wired.

You might want to get some help from a trainer/behaviorist on getting that prey drive under control.

Miss Buddie answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sounds like we are in the same boat.Last night my boyfriends absolutely beautiful AmStaff ripped my cat to shreds right in front of all of us. The cat was sleeping in my daughters bed at the time. I really want to throttle the dog!! I know that the dog was just acting out of instinct. We are not putting ours down for that very reason. He was just being a dog as yours was. I'am finding a new home for him. If you have concerns about this type of aggression contact an animal behavior specialist. I've been told once something like this happens it will happen again.